SASS Wire Forum

Info for bakers.

Some years ago the price of vanilla extract skyrocketed because of a cyclone in the Indian Ocean, basically it destroyed much of the vanilla beans on Madagascar.  Now many other countries have developed vanilla industries.

However Tropical Cyclone Freddy is now officially the most powerful cyclone on record and hit Madagascar really bad. Google cyclone Freddy .

if you use more than a tsp of vanilla a month, I recommend that you pick up an extra bottle the next time you go to the store.

Me?  I have been making my own extract for years and I have quarts to spare.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Me?  I have been making my own extract for years and I have quarts to spare.

How do you do this? Is there a recipe you recommend?

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How do you do this? Is there a recipe you recommend?

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Don't you just soak vanilla bean pods in vodka?

Yep.  Split the pods, place in jar or bottle, cover with high proof spirits, wait a few months.  The high proof spirit is  usually vodka because of the neutral flavor.  But you can use brandy, bourbon, or rum.  

Then there's the grade of vanilla to use.  

From https://www.vanillapura.com/pages/grade-a-vanilla-beans-vs-grade-b-vanilla-beans

Per FDA standards, we know that "pure vanilla extract" must be made from 13.35oz of vanilla beans for every gallon of 35% alcohol. It's the weight of the beans that matters most, not the quantity of the beans themselves. So, if you purchased grade-A vanilla beans, 1oz might include 6-8 beans on average. If you purchased grade-B vanilla beans, 1oz might be more than 20 beans. This is important when you are buying bottles for vanilla extract, because you will need bottles that hold more grade-B vanilla beans than grade-A vanilla beans. 

I usually use the imitation stuff because I'm using the vanilla in things that have a lot of other flavors going on and the vanilla just supplies a background note.  In the few light and delicate things I bake where vanilla is the primary flavor I use a real extract or paste.

13.35 ounces (us ounces) per us gallon of 70 proof gallon of alcohol. 70 to 100 is ok, anything stronger burns the beans.  The numbers sound complicated but 1 oz per cup works, it’s 1.19 strength. Or overcome your hatred of the metric system and it is exactly 100 grams per liter. The common recommendation is use cheap booze but I have some batches of single and double strength batches going with top shelf stuff.  :D

what I learned long ago was split the beans lengthwise and scrape all the seeds out, put seeds and bean husk into alcohol, shake the bottle every day or so for a while then periodically. When I’m ready I filter and decant into 4 or 8 oz bottles. Label and share.  Current recommendations don’t do the scraping, some don’t even cut the beans open.

Amazon is a convenient source of vanilla beans.

Archived