SASS Wire Forum

Making the Uberti 1873 Rifle

Buckshot Bear

When I did my SS on my 73 I stripped the head from one of the 2 screws on underside. I had to drill it out and retap threads….ridiculous 

Interesting video, aside from her getting most of the nomenclature wrong.

The type of drill bit used to bore the long hole through the barrel is called, wait for it, a gun drill.

Interesting watching the hammer forges shaping the lever before it is machined. Hammer forging like that is not much different than the way it was done in the 1800s.

I question whether the fake case hardening process actually hardens the surface.

Interesting to see how the bolt and bolt extension are attached to each other. That is the new way Uberti has been doing it for a few years now, they used to be held together with a pin. The new way is more like it was originally done by Winchester.

Interesting to see the headspacing is done by hand with a file.

Interesting that the rifle is sent to the proof house with a temporary stock, rather than waiting until the rifle is completed. This makes sense so the proof house does not damage the finish on the completed stock. I watched rifles being proofed at the old Remington factory years ago, it was pretty cool.

I liked the video.

But my writer/TV Production background make me see some "flaws."

The frame is not the action.

They were showing the making of a 73, but started and ended with images of a 66.

Using metric measurements and celcius for temperature is irritating.  :)

And most of all, they are not EXACT replicas.   They are close copies, but are not exact.  If they were, parts would interchange, for example.

These are critiques SOLELY based on writing/production values.   Not the video itself, which is overall very good.

I really enjoyed seeing how my 1873 was made! 

Yes, some of the terminology had me shaking my head, but otherwise it was very enjoyable to watch!

Thanks for posting that video!

Archived