SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy 45 lead heads

Texas Jack Black

I acquired a box unmarked of 45 hollow base bullets  that a retired shooter was using .He has passed and I was looking for the supplier and also a load using Trail Boss .I want to try some at a match .

I thank you

TJB

Without knowing at least the weight of the bullets no one will be able to help you. Bullet shape would also help, as in round nose, wadcutter, or something else. A pic would be great also, maybe someone will know the supplier.

And they are called bullets, not heads. Bullets don't have heads.

1 hour ago, Texas Jack Black said:

I acquired a box unmarked of 45 hollow base bullets  that a retired shooter was using .He has passed and I was looking for the supplier and also a load using Trail Boss .I want to try some at a match .

I thank you

TJB

Are you referring to the 130 grain Barnstormers? They are a hollow base with what I would call a muffin top. 
Look up Shootin Fox on the wire, he sells them.  IF your referring to that bullet 3.5 to 4 grain of trailboss will get you started. 

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

And they are called bullets, not heads. Bullets don't have heads.

Thanks but in my world I call them heads, some call them Muffin tops.;)

2 hours ago, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

Are you referring to the 130 grain Barnstormers? They are a hollow base with what I would call a muffin top. 
Look up Shootin Fox on the wire, he sells them.  IF your referring to that bullet 3.5 to 4 grain of trailboss will get you started. 

Thank you, they are 130 grains I will look up Shooting Fox.

13 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

When you ask for help, you should use industry standard terms.  Not your own.  

good luck, GJ

Thank you ,I do think the SASS community is educated enough to know what I was  asking.

Best wishes

TJB

On 3/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, Long Fingers, SASS#56813 said:

Do you know if the 3.5-4.0 gr load meets the power factor?

Thank You

30 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Thank You

I don’t have any idea the fps for that load, have not shot them over a chronograph. Sure there are others that can jump in and give you that data.  I think the SASS power factor is 60 unless it’s changed. That is ridiculously low and should be easy to make. Anything over 470 fps with that bullet makes power factor. 

LF. 

3 hours ago, Texas Jack Black said:

Thank You

I use the 130 grain Barnstormer over 4 grains of Trail Boss in a C45S case with a Federal Large Pistol Primer for my wife. She has problems with both wrists so low recoil is king in her world. That load provides minimal recoil she can handle and is accurate enough for CAS. Over both of my chronometers AV is 530 with a deviation of +/- 10 fps for a calculated minimum power factor of 67.6, average 68.9 and maximum of 70.2. We used to use TB with a 160 grain RNFP in a 45 Colt case for a power factor of 75 at about 470 fps but both of us could feel the difference in recoil (sharper with the 160's) and there was an audible difference in the report between rounds upon firing. One bang, next BANG next bang which concerned me. The Barnstormer load "sounds" much more consistent and more importantly it meets my wife's approval.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

4 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Same chrono results as others. Meets Cowboy power factor. 

I sent you a message.

Thank You

TJB

Archived