SASS Wire Forum

FOUND: non-SASS Rossi or Chiappa Mares Leg in .44 rem mag or 45LC

FOUND:

-----------------------------------------

I got this crazy idea to build a 44 mag or 45lc SBR by installing a full 1892 stock on the Rossi Ranch hand or Chiappa/Taylors Mares Leg lever pistols... not Henry - they don't have a side gate on their models of pistols.

so, if you happen to have one in your safe, let me know.  we can also work out a non-SASS trade - I do have some interesting items

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2023 at 1:13 PM, Last Call Saul said:

...not Henry - they don't have a side gate on their models of pistols...

Looks like they do.

20230502_122057.jpg

A good looking gun, I think. Would be an excellent candidate for a SBR. :D

sass should allow using these in a match 

(loading 5 in each)

mine is a Braztech 44 mag

0950F760-71E2-4D54-9861-6758D5848F4E.jpeg

Howdy LCS,

I have no legal training, but I seem to remember something about minimum barrel length on a full stocked, cartridge firing rifle. Like have an add on stock for a pistol. I have no idea of the barrel length on these mare's legs and no access to and no desire to communicate with the BATF (you don't wake up a snake to kill it.) Maybe someone with actual knowledge can chime in.

Rev. Chase

1 hour ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy LCS,

I have no legal training, but I seem to remember something about minimum barrel length on a full stocked, cartridge firing rifle. Like have an add on stock for a pistol. I have no idea of the barrel length on these mare's legs and no access to and no desire to communicate with the BATF (you don't wake up a snake to kill it.) Maybe someone with actual knowledge can chime in.

Rev. Chase

He's talking about SBRing the firearm so barrel length would not matter on a stocked gun at that point. 

1 minute ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

The BATF considers these as handgun. At least that’s how mine was registered here in MD.

Correct. They are considered handguns because they started their life that way. 

The OP is wanting to put a buttstock on his which would make it a SBR. If he does the proper paperwork to make it a SBR there is no problem. 

I just handled one of these at a LGS. NICE little, uh, pistol. Very neat. The "stock" that is on it is completely worthless for even trying to shoulder this (unless you're built like a Jawa) so to shoot it you'd have to "Rifleman" the thing. SBRing this with a carbine stock would make this supercool! :D

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I just handled one of these at a LGS. NICE little, uh, pistol. Very neat. The "stock" that is on it is completely worthless for even trying to shoulder this (unless you're built like a Jawa) so to shoot it you'd have to "Rifleman" the thing. SBRing this with a carbine stock would make this supercool! :D

I agree 150%

2A80A7E5-3087-494B-A35D-33280F3A2DF3.jpeg

8 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy LCS,

Rev. Chase

Yes, I would have to file an application, submit fingerprints and pay $200 for the privilege to own a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16"... I already have 3 SBRs so the snake is very well aware of me already. :)  

I want the 44 mag to pair it with my 3-screw BlackHawk in 44 that I have, but I might settle for 45lc as I already reload it.... then I would need to get a 45lc revolver as all my SASS guns are 357 :)

But I really want a "cowboy" SBR to join these

333391851_982096139840657_6824671748545371540_n.jpg

14373_891813707535949_221823779042725630_n (2).jpg

1933924_1065873360129982_7254759864375501133_n.jpg

The more I think about that Henry Mares Leg I played with, the more I like it. Got no idea what I'd ever do with it though. Fit and finish was quite nice, action very smooth, well built.

This gun would simply be a range toy or a collection piece that would be fun for everyone to handle and drool over.

:D

It would fit in a backpack nicely. Hmmm...

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

The more I think about that Henry Mares Leg I played with, the more I like it. Got no idea what I'd ever do with it though. Fit and finish was quite nice, action very smooth, well built.

This gun would simply be a range toy or a collection piece that would be fun for everyone to handle and drool over.

:D

It would fit in a backpack nicely. Hmmm...

yes, it is impractical but I really want to have one... I prefer blued and simple look of Rossi vs new Henry's polished brass though... it will look good next to a blued revolver :)

On 3/12/2023 at 1:13 PM, Last Call Saul said:

I got this crazy idea to build a 44 mag SBR by installing a full 1892 stock on the Rossi Ranch hand or Chiappa/Taylors Mares Leg lever pistols... not Henry - they don't have a side gate on their models of pistols.

so, if you happen to have one in your safe, let me know.  we can also work out a non-SASS trade - I do have some interesting items

I'm keeping this thread going because this idea is nagging me in a very intriguing way. On YouTube I found a guy who SBR'd a Mare's Leg.  Just as Austin Powers would proclaim, "yeah baby!"

Iraqveteran8888 has the video. 

• Last Call Saul changed the title to WTB: non-SASS Rossi or Chiappa Mares Leg in .44 rem mag or 45LC
6 hours ago, Shawnee Hills said:

Thanks!  I will call them tomorrow!  I am picking up my son from college on Thursday and this place is only a little longer than an hour away from his place... I might work something out!

I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag that was my first CAS rifle.  I have the buttstock engraved so would not want to part with that but would be willing to sell the rest of the rfile.  PM if interested.

2 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag that was my first CAS rifle.  I have the buttstock engraved so would not want to part with that but would be willing to sell the rest of the rfile.  PM if interested.

Thank you but I am not looking for a full-size rifle, looking for a Ranch Hand model - 12" pistol 

3 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag that was my first CAS rifle.  I have the buttstock engraved so would not want to part with that but would be willing to sell the rest of the rfile.  

Is the barrel octagon and 24”?  If so then I would be interested in it. 

Nimble Fingers

• Last Call Saul changed the title to FOUND: non-SASS Rossi or Chiappa Mares Leg in .44 rem mag or 45LC
6 hours ago, Cockney Rebel said:

It is round barrel and looks like shorter than 24" but can't lay my hands on a tape measure right now.

Thanks looking for 24” octagonal barreled one to plate the receiver with brass to match the “Henry” rifle John Wayne was selling in The Commancheros movie. Thanks anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2023 at 1:15 PM, Shawnee Hills said:

We probably need to move this topic out of classifieds if we want to keep it alive!

I bought this one!

It looked unfired and had a very, very rouch action... the edges are razor sharp, tool marks everywhere, and the lifter looks like it was just cast and never even touched after casting.  The rim guides were finished with sharp corners, so the rim of the dummy rounds I used to test the action would get caught on them, causing failure to feed and leaving sharp marks on the rims...

I ordered a Palo Verde spring kit, ordered the standard size lever direct from Rossi, polished internals, replaced the springs and the lever, and now the action is not competition quality, but at least it works and feeds and ejects without struggles.

e-Form 1 is submitted, now the wait begins

I will take it to the range tonight.

20230521_131156.jpg

On 5/9/2023 at 10:32 AM, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:
On 5/9/2023 at 6:53 AM, Cockney Rebel said:

I have a Rossi 92 in 44 Mag that was my first CAS rifle.  I have the buttstock engraved so would not want to part with that but would be willing to sell the rest of the rfile.  

Is the barrel octagon and 24”?  If so then I would be interested in it. 

Nimble Fingers

I just got one on Gunbroker for $705, plus shipping and taxes and fees!

Archived