SASS Wire Forum

Not another Ford.

Warden Callaway

So, if I get the gist of this video Ford's CEO wants the legacy (ie gas powered) segment of the business, to be pared back in terms of overall costs from the supply chain, operations, and personnel layoffs, in order to carry the entire new e-powered expenses (i.e. research team, design team, partnered battery facility, supply chain, retooling the existing operations etc.......). In other words; pirating one divisions gains to offset/bolster another divisions start up expense.  Good luck with that. You're gonna need it.

An ambitious, laud worthy push of EVs, but I don't see the infrastructure being built to handle the increased load on the continent's power grid;  batteries capable of withstanding the rigours of North American driving distances and climate or the construction of facilities to house travelers while their EVs charge, all of which, in my view, are needed to make the change from ICE vehicles successful. 

And at the bottom of the solution still lies the question of the source of essential raw materials having to come from outside North America.

42 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

An ambitious, laud worthy push of EVs, but I don't see the infrastructure being built to handle the increased load on the continent's power grid;  batteries capable of withstanding the rigours of North American driving distances and climate or the construction of facilities to house travelers while their EVs charge, all of which, in my view, are needed to make the change from ICE vehicles successful. 

And at the bottom of the solution still lies the question of the source of essential raw materials having to come from outside North America.

Bingo one of the reasons for the EV push is to keep you closer to home  

Ford really got burned during the pandemic when they couldn't get foreign manufactured  chips for the F-150.  They had 1,000's of trucks parked in Kentucky just waiting on chips.  The local Ford dealers are still trying to sell 2022 F-150's for near sticker price.  Good luck with that.  I wouldn't buy a year old truck for sticker price. 

Getting in business with the Chinese for a critical component of your product is a bad idea on several levels.

Given the current technology, and living in a sub-division, in the city, as I do, I can see an EV sometime in my future for trips inside the city/close to home and in range of a battery charge, but not for trips out of town, given the current electric power grid situation here in Ottawa and in the Near North and it's availability there.

Heck, in Ottawa, they have outage issues for days, whenever there is wind, rain, lighting, ice, snow, mechanical failure or just because. In fact, the last three e-mails to customers from the the Hydro Commission's CEO went to great lengths advising what to do in long term outages, what to stock etc. and advising to be like the Scouts: BE PREPARED.

I got the message. Our system is fragile and likely to remain so. 

While I have never been a prepper per se, I now ensure I have food stuff on hand and I've installed a NG generator to power things in our home.

I should even be able to charge an EV, if/when I buy one.

I've yet to by my first Ford so I can't say. I did ALMOST buy a Toyota not long ago just because it was a great deal. Fortunately we had a friend that needed it worse so she bought it WHEW! I would probably never lived it down if I bought a Toyota.

JHC

red-chevy-bowtie-katy-hawk.jpg

54 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Ford really got burned during the pandemic when they couldn't get foreign manufactured  chips for the F-150.  They had 1,000's of trucks parked in Kentucky just waiting on chips.  The local Ford dealers are still trying to sell 2022 F-150's for near sticker price.  Good luck with that.  I wouldn't buy a year old truck for sticker price. 

Getting in business with the Chinese for a critical component of your product is a bad idea on several levels.

It sounds like they are learning from the Chinese to make it here themselves instead of buying it from the Chinese like other manufacturers do.

All these corporate execs stand to gain with the current administration so long as they are on board. GM/Chevrolet is no better with their DEI commitments and full support of the “Build Back Better” plan of that half-wit in the White House, than Ford is with their EV plans.

Build Back Better and Janet Yellen’s plans consists of racial equity and income redistribution along with inflation that’s going on, which is the government’s way of artificially masking from the American public the true cost of the debt they have accumulated from their decades of mismanagement and lack of accountability.

Put simple, these big corporations are generally run by liberals, and communist run unions, that are in bed with communists in Washington.  This is what we get. Generally bad ideas. BOHICA……Ford may f*** you one way, GM another.

The government everyday.

“Cut the costs and cut people” Farley

So they are using money from legacy systems to fund EVs and Software Divisions. That means their gas and diesel powered lines will help fund the other areas of business, hence the higher prices and the resistance to make deals on unsold vehicles. 

Why do I get the impression that Americans will bear the brunt of higher priced vehicles so their European market gets a break?

Here is another reason Ford is showing losses. Price gouging by their dealerships. Ford dealerships took a page out of the Jeep playbook and began price gouging customers for profit. So much do that just over a year ago the Ford CEO addressed this issue by promising to cut out the dealers and create factory direct pricing snd delivery direct from the factory. Only problem is, Ford and Ford Dealers have contracts. The dealers would sue. Also, dealers said “Good luck’ on getting us to warranty and maintain those vehicles.” Easy enough to track with a VIN. 

So now Ford wants to go all electric…

They’re making deals with China…#%$& China! - Just more proof these corporations do not have any loyalty to the USA except for when they can wave a flag to get attention. 

This screen grab was coincidental regarding the caption…irony?

01424C47-33DC-4D1C-98E6-19458B1530F0.thumb.jpeg.5971b545b4489fb942997f0f89f64406.jpeg

Take note of the two vehicles behind Pres. Biden in this screen grab from the video. The two biggest consumer price gougers in the USA. :angry:

And the media and lots of useful idiots say our government and their corporate puppeteers aren’t butt ramming the American public every day.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So much do that just over a year ago the Ford CEO addressed this issue by promising to cut out the dealers and create factory direct pricing snd delivery direct from the factory.

10 states currentlt have laws that prevent manufacturer direct sales of automobiles. Another 8 have strict limits on the number of factory direct dealerships. Before Tesla, there were 12 additional states that either banned or placed severe restrictions on manufacturer direct sales of automobiles.

The only real leverage Ford has is controlling which dealerships get the most desirable autos.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

10 states currentlt have laws that prevent manufacturer direct sales of automobiles. Another 8 have strict limits on the number of factory direct dealerships. Before Tesla, there were 12 additional states that either banned or placed severe restrictions on manufacturer direct sales of automobiles.

The only real leverage Ford has is controlling which dealerships get the most desirable autos.

Interesting. I did not know this. Thanks. 

I wonder why states passed these laws? Was it because of the possibility of no warranty or repair support?

12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. I did not know this. Thanks. 

I wonder why states passed these laws? Was it because of the possibility of no warranty or repair support?

They started in the 1930s because there was a perception that the manufacturer would sell cars cheaper than what the car dealers could.

Changing the Rules on How Cars Are Sold

Tesla US dealership disputes

In my opinion they amount to protectionist laws.

Buy used, buy Toyota. :D

22 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Perfect stated.

Archived