SASS Wire Forum

I had a ponder

Alpo

Since Saint Patrick's Day is approaching, and people are thinking all things Irish ---

Leprechauns. Why would leprechauns like shamrocks? You see it in the pictures all the time. If there's a leprechaun, odds are real good that he's got a shamrock.

Now as I understand it, St Patrick used the shamrock to teach Christianity. Three in one. The father, the son, and the holy Ghost, and they're all the same thing. And he used the three lobes of the shamrock to illustrate his point.

But leprechauns are pagan. All the fey folk - leprechauns, elves, brownies, nymphs - are pagan. Why would a pagan like a Christian symbol?

Just doesn't really make sense.

They're not pagan they're fey. Otherfolk.  

When the aliens show up I bet the correlate with the old legends. 

If you went Underhill you might return and find out 80 years had passed in a short time for you.  Relativity anyone? Magical powers defined by Arthur c Clarke. Any sufficiently advanced tech is indistinguishable from magic.

Or maybe shamrocks are associated with nature and so are leprechauns 

Maybe because there's no such thing as leprechauns?? Just a guess..........:P

On 3/11/2023 at 11:31 PM, Alpo said:

Since Saint Patrick's Day is approaching, and people are thinking all things Irish ---

Leprechauns. Why would leprechauns like shamrocks? You see it in the pictures all the time. If there's a leprechaun, odds are real good that he's got a shamrock.

Now as I understand it, St Patrick used the shamrock to teach Christianity. Three in one. The father, the son, and the holy Ghost, and they're all the same thing. And he used the three lobes of the shamrock to illustrate his point.

But leprechauns are pagan. All the fey folk - leprechauns, elves, brownies, nymphs - are pagan. Why would a pagan like a Christian symbol?

Just doesn't really make sense.

Keep in mind that early Christians adopted many Pagan symbols.

But as was pointed out earlier Fey Folk are not Pagan.

Archived