SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Army

Shanghai Jack

I have several pairs of stainless Ruger old Armys.  All of them are NIB with the adjustable rear sights and the big front ramps.  What would I have to do to make them CAS legal and, if they can be converted, who is a good one to do it. 

Thanks

Shanghai Jack

I suspect that “CAS Legal” means legal for a black powder category.  They are legal for an age-based category without modification.  You could shoot them in local matches that way.  You won’t win but will have plenty of fun.

1 minute ago, Shanghai Jack said:

So can a Ruger Old Army shooter put it in plain English for me.   I am assuming that neither the adjustable rear nor the ramp front sight of the Ruger Old Army "look like sights available during the cowboy era." and must be replaced or removed.  So assuming that needs to be done, again I ask, who does the best work on these. 

- Ruger Blackhawk and Ruger Old Army adjustable sight frames may be modified by removing the rear sight assembly, welding up the sight cutout, re-contouring the frame top strap, and cutting a new sight notch to replicate Colt SAA or Vaquero frames. The ramp front sight must be replaced with a blade-type in order to be allowed as a fixed sight model revolver.

SHB p.36

3 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I suspect that “CAS Legal” means legal for a black powder category.  They are legal for an age-based category without modification.  You could shoot them in local matches that way.  You won’t win but will have plenty of fun.

They would be legal in age-based (and B-Western) categories at ANY match level. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

There was a time when people were doing this site modification to Ruger Blackhawks.  They called them Cougars.  I haven't seen it done since the Ruger Vaquero came out.

I remember "Cougars" being made by putting a Python (?) barrel on a Ruger double action - Colt + Ruger = Couger - but I've never heard the term applied to a Blackhawk. Learn something new every day. :)

I have 2 fixed-sight sets for "competition".

That being said, I have not really been "competitive" for several years now -- I just old & slow.

So, I don't really worry about winning, but I still like to exercise the adjustable-sight ROAs.

So, I just sign up for Elder Statesman, and shoot 'em with my 44-40 rifle & hammer shotgun.

I use BP in all my loads & have just as much fun as I do shooting Frontiersman.

I'll be near the bottom of the category anyway, no matter which one I'm in.

But, I have just as much fun as anybody!

--Dawg

Archived