SASS Wire Forum

Daylight Saving Time

Subdeacon Joe

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Britain does it March 26.

Damn! They’ll have to move it back in the morning. 

A completely useless artifact of WWI when a lot of factories did not have electric lights.  Now it is a waste of time and cause of twice yearly confusion.  Right now daylight savings time is eight months of the year.  Time to end the insanity.

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

A completely useless artifact of WWI when a lot of factories did not have electric lights.  Now it is a waste of time and cause of twice yearly confusion.  Right now daylight savings time is eight months of the year.  Time to end the insanity.

Come tomorrow, it'll be an hour past time to end the insanity.

I've just got to remember that most everyone else is changing their clocks.  We don't.

BS

Even my BiPap machine is getting in on the “You got an extra hour of sleep!” BS. I usually sleep 6-6.5 hours a night. This morning it showed 7:42 hours of sleep. It’s high tech but not high tech enough not to lie with little smiley faces on the screen. 

ED5DC0FE-AC0D-474F-8767-DBA433ADFC93.gif.41aead4b9641349a134dfc5b7af594ae.gif

But if you play golf you can get 18 holes in after work on DST.

I did.

When I worked.

When I played golf.

21 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

YES!

21 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

We're about to come out of the DST funk ....... some time around Easter ......

1949642919_clocksgoback.JPG.7a23664687fa0d78c76ece7293a66edf.jpg

How did it feel to be two hours late to work this morning?

I went to bed an hour early.

And didn’t fall asleep for an hour. :angry:

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I wish they would split the difference and then leave it that way.

There ya go, a compromise!

On 3/12/2023 at 5:39 PM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

It's surprising just how many actually get up at 2am to change their clocks .......  :blink:

Maybe they got up to pee and decided to change the clock while they were up. :mellow:

SOOOOOOOOOO- how many thought you got an extra hour ? we sprang forward , we lost one here , but ............not really - no extra sunshine , no change save the clock face , most of which are automated these days , i only had two to reset in my house this time around , 

i dont get why this persists , its an antiquated [OK not quite as old as stonehenge] ritual we got used to that simply messes with our bioclocks and temperaments , its time to DO AWAY WITH IT , in whichever solstice we decide on , its not wanted anymore 

39 minutes ago, watab kid said:

i dont get why this persists , its an antiquated [OK not quite as old as stonehenge] ritual we got used to that simply messes with our bioclocks and temperaments , its time to DO AWAY WITH IT , in whichever solstice we decide on , its not wanted anymore

+1!

And besides the bioclock aspects, there are also technical issues. For example, how to handle night trains in Europe within the very tight train schedule. There's either a inevitable delay or you just cancel the train in spring. In autumn, some trains just wait for an hour somewhere. When departures are scheduled between 2 and 3am an additional train is needed to cover both of those hours. And in police reports, birth certificates etc., you have to write 2:22a or 2:22b.

It just complicates a lot, DO AWAY WITH IT!

did not realize it affected them so much , thanks for the enlightenment 

18 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

+1!

And besides the bioclock aspects, there are also technical issues. For example, how to handle night trains in Europe within the very tight train schedule. There's either a inevitable delay or you just cancel the train in spring. In autumn, some trains just wait for an hour somewhere. When departures are scheduled between 2 and 3am an additional train is needed to cover both of those hours. And in police reports, birth certificates etc., you have to write 2:22a or 2:22b.

It just complicates a lot, DO AWAY WITH IT!

my life has never crossed path with these issues - i see it could be an issue - kinda like leap year birthdays but every year 

Mickey Mouse time I calls it...ain't nothin' wrong with the real time !!

SO' glad we don't have it in the state [ Queensland ] I live in down -under

Archived