SASS Wire Forum

SKB 100 firing pin sticks?

Marshal Fire, SASS 10064

I have a SKB 100 that has been worked over by one of the better know people of SASS to work on SKB shotguns. The gun was set up for SASS shooting and the triggers converted to a mechanical operation. The gun was in above average shape and had very little use prior to using it for SASS the past two years.

I really like how the shotgun handles and it is my preferred shotgun.

I like to shoot in the various BP classes of SASS.

I find that often the left barrel will fail to fire if the gun has been sitting over night after shooting BP loads. I should comment that I load 777 in my 12 ga.

I can correct the problem by a little cleaning fluid sprayed into the firing pin hole and several dry fire runs.

during a match I add some oil down the firing pin holes about every third or fourth stage.

how is gunk getting into the internals of the gun and is there a better way to deal with it than I am.

thanks for the consideration 

Marshal

I assume your 100 is one of the older ones made in Japan.....

if so the firing pins are made directly onto the Hammers.... so where ever the hammer goes the firing pin goes with it.

Shooting BP and subs regularly will gunk up the works.  And will require some periodic maintenance.

You can get to most of the gunk by removing the buttstock, trigger assy, and the floor plate...

You can use something like aerosol non-chlorinated brake cleaner to get it pretty clean

Then your favorite light gun oil to keep everything protected and working good........

About once every 2 years or so I do a full teardown on mine just to make sure everything is still in pristine condition.

in over 15 years of shooting mine I've worn out one set of Hammer springs and had to replace a couple of E clips.... That's about it.

I've cleaned a few other SKB's for folks

and I've found all kinds of surprising little dodads that have somehow found their way into the works.....

As noted by Sam the firing pin is part of the hammer.  The top photo shows the hammer, mainspring, cocking lever and sear.  The second photo shows the swinging pendulum/tree.  (Red arrow.)  Even if converted to manual the sears still engage the pendulum one way of the other.  Different smiths use different techniques on how they create the mechanical trip mechanism.  I would take off the stock and look at the parts as you are pulling the trigger to see why the sears are not tripping.  It may be dirt, it may be the mechanical conversion needs adjusting.  I have fired thousands of rounds of BP and the gun has never gotten dirty enough inside to keep the sears from tripping the hammer.  Unless you have a lot of pierced primers the breech is sealed and there is really no way for BP residue to blow back into the mechanism.

P1030835.thumb.jpeg.a4c34ed3da2d155ddc4c075dd0df5b1b.jpeg

P1030790.thumb.jpeg.09f07070b41291ace809160dce8ca27e.jpeg

What Larson says is correct.

But the action of the SKB is not perfectly sealed and dirt and debris can and will find it's way into areas where you don't want it.

And some are much worse than others.

If the floorplate on your gun is not flush with the frame.... as in the rear edge of it protruding down from the frame just in front of the trigger guard.

That will open up a gap that allows dirt into the action right at the base of the Hammers and Sears.... Just like in Larson's picture above.

I've found lead shot, what I think was sand and pieces of leaves and thick heavy grime inside SKB actions several times.

On a couple occasions the grime between the Hammer and the Frame was built up so thick that one of the Hammers

wouldn't fall far enough for the firing pin to strike the Primer with enough force to fire it.

On one gun the grime was so thick that the floorplate was actually Bent, the gun was really hard to close and the owner said it had started to open by itself when fired.... That's when he quit shooting it..... It was all because of Dirt!

A Clean Gun is a Happy Gun!

I found a pine needle abound 1 1/2” long inside my SKB once. At first I thought it was a pin of some sort. Couldn’t find where it came from. Then I realized it was not steel. 

22 hours ago, Marshal Fire, SASS 10064 said:

I should comment that I load 777 in my 12 ga.

Ya know it’s probably that 777 stuff! :lol: 
FWIW, I clean my SKB every day after shooting FC. 

Big hugs!

Scarlett

@Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 @Silver Sam, SASS #34718L is removing the butt stock and cleaning internals something I can do myself? BE HONEST! I maintain my own guns… I don’t remove trigger etc of my 73 but am pretty handy. The picture of the gunk has me worried about my SKB 100s. I have two. 

Hugs! 
Scarlett

For just a basic clean-up remove the trigger guard screw.  Unscrew the trigger guard a turn.  (See third photo.)  Remove the butt plate or recoil pad and stick a socket down into the stock and unscrew the retaining nut.  Should be a 10mm socket.  Once the stock is removed you can spray the guts with brake cleaner, blow it off and then spray on something like Hornady One Shot.  (The gun cleaner and lube version, not the case lube version.  I.e., the stuff in the black can, not the stuff in the red can.)  The gunk in the photo is just dried grease.  Nothing that will interfere with shooting the gun.

P1030769.thumb.jpeg.1492fab2d851e18fef4d7791356e2599.jpeg

P1030767.thumb.jpeg.a4f4566bc2c61547da4e0734957fe0f6.jpeg

P1030773.thumb.jpeg.d07291360fd0f6f7ba6a18fce4775435.jpeg

81HjPUxb8cL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.9a9979811c562fa4568159ca3e2f3cb0.jpg

While it is apart make sure the screw that retains the stock mounting bolt (and also ties the upper and lower tangs together) is tight.  That screw is frequently loose.

P1030807.thumb.jpeg.1eeab7e212f32cbf9e47a55df98f72f9.jpeg

P1030810.thumb.jpeg.47e25dee1c4f4292319f345add408be0.jpeg

Archived