SASS Wire Forum

JM marlin feeding issue

Turkey Flats Jack

I just picked up another one in 357 and it's the complete opposite in feeding issues than my remlin one. It only likes 38spl loaded short. Slow and methodical levering it's fine with full length 357 but it only cycles 38s loaded to 1.48-1.493 reliably at speed. I was told it had an action job when I picked it up but not short stroked. The lever throw measures the same as my remlin so not short stroked is probably true. Y'all have any suggestions on what needs done to feed full length 357s. 

Thanks, 

T.F. Jack 

When I got started in the game, was using a JM Marlin 357.  I do not remember what my feeding issue was, but Widder gave me a callback... We spent a few hours on the phone with me doing as told from the gun bench.  I still sincerely appreciate the help.  We did a disassembly, and I was schooled on the detail of feeding and other Marlin issues.  He is the expert to discuss your gun with probably.  

Have you taken it fully apart yet and does it have any aftermarket parts installed?  When it comes to things like extractor pickup of the case rim, Widder will probably ask things like this.  

24 minutes ago, Pb Mark said:

When I got started in the game, was using a JM Marlin 357.  I do not remember what my feeding issue was, but Widder gave me a callback... We spent a few hours on the phone with me doing as told from the gun bench.  I still sincerely appreciate the help.  We did a disassembly, and I was schooled on the detail of feeding and other Marlin issues.  He is the expert to discuss your gun with probably.  

Have you taken it fully apart yet and does it have any aftermarket parts installed?  When it comes to things like extractor pickup of the case rim, Widder will probably ask things like this.  

I haven't tore this one down yet and as for aftermarket parts idk and noway of finding out for sure. I initially tried to message @Widder, SASS #59054 but his mailbox must be full. 

Just a wag, but the timing may have been tweaked to run best with short 38s. Widder will be a good resource for sure.

I'm pretty sure Widder will get back to you. 

An easy check to see if it actually had an action job without any disassembly is to visually inspect the bolt to see if it has a one-piece firing pin installed.  Doubt anyone would do an action job without it.  Also, if upon disassembly if you need to replace the carrier button parts, Online Outpost has the complete assembly.

Mine is an older 1894C.  After the work, feeds 38's from 1.43 minimum to 357,  1.60".  Using TFP bullet shape lately but RNFP also just fine.

I just finished a Cimmaron 1873 deluxe short rifle and was about to sell the Marlin.  Changed my mind after remembering a base for a red dot pistol sight that fits the back screw holes for a Marlin scope mount.  It's now a "house gun".  

Howdy TF Jack.

I just emptied some of my messages if you need to send me a message.

BUT... its probably better to just call me at:  865 / 696-1996 here in E.Tennessee.

As others have mentioned, it sounds like a timing issue.

..........Widder

I appreciate everyone in here. It's been a long day and tomorrow will be another one for me. I'll try the couple recommendations asap. @Widder, SASS #59054 I greatly appreciate the offer to call and will absolutely take you up on it. It'll probably be Monday afternoon before I'll have time to sit down and get to a phone. 

T.F. Jack 

Archived