SASS Wire Forum

shotgun belt options

Texas Jack Black

Time for a new shotgun belt and would like input from 97 pump shooters.  What would be the best belt for a pull two over the top shooter and why?

I thank You

TJB

Doc Noper is known to make a good shotgun belt. I have two from Mernickle that are nice belts. My newer Mernickle belt has thick elastic loops that hold two shells together and I like it. They show everything on their website. 
https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/Shotgun-Belts-c53192281

23 minutes ago, Doc Fill 'Em 67797 said:

Doc Noper is known to make a good shotgun belt. I have two from Mernickle that are nice belts. My newer Mernickle belt has thick elastic loops that hold two shells together and I like it. They show everything on their website. 
https://www.mernickleholsters.com/shop/Shotgun-Belts-c53192281

Are the shells easy to pull?

Attached are pictures of the Doc Noper SG belt with single elastic loops next to a Mernickle belt with double elastic loops.

While both belts work well, I prefer the Doc Noper belt because it exposes more of the shells, easier to pull two, three or four shells, and the belt is thicker which provides better support and access (from your body) to the shells. Doc also offers rifle reload loops on either side of the SG shell loops.  Not sure if Mernicle offers any thing but their rifle reload slides to put on the SG belt.

In one of the pictures the Doc Noper belt is on the bottom and in the other it is to the left of the Mernicle belt.  Apologies but you will likely need to download the files to see the pictures.

If you decide to try the Doc Noper with the single elastic loops, I also recommend the leather rifle reload loops.

Best of luck with your selection.  

IMG_2096.HEIC IMG_2097.HEIC

I pull 4 and feed over the top from a bandoleer. The bandoleer places the shells closer to the SG.

I was previously using a canvas web belt and liked it fine.  But I got a Doc Noper belt from the Classifieds with single elastic loops and like it a lot.  I do find that I lose more shotshells from movement making them fall out, maybe something pushing from the bottom, mostly from either end and not the middle.  Probably a YMMV thing. 

My recommendation would be a belt with single loops close together.  You can leave an empty between pairs if you like.  But you might want to experiment with different techniques, especially if you are new. Or if you know anybody using a bandolero you could ask to try that.  I'm still rather new to the pump and haven't practiced much so I'm not particularly fast but it is great fun, especially slam firing, and I'm not missing too many.  I started with two over the top.  My hands small but I can grab 3, so now I have the shells in a trio with a single next to it, grab the single with my right hand and drop it into the port before picking up up the gun, then load the next three over the top.  If there are more to shoot or any makeups, I do that from the right.  I love pulling two from the right since watching a Widder video (look for "Widdowmaker Shotgun Dryfire" but my left wrist and forearm are too weak to pick up the shotgun and get it to my shoulder.  So I use that when stage starts with shotgun in hands or extra shots after 4.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sdxgpqkreqY

I like the Doc Noper belts and I also have a nice belt by Hastings.

Doc shoots our game and knows what might suite you best based on your style.   Give him a call.

I think he can give you single or double pouches..... leather, canvas or elastic.

Talk with him and he'll do you right.

..........Widder

23 hours ago, Photo Shooter said:

Attached are pictures of the Doc Noper SG belt with single elastic loops next to a Mernickle belt with double elastic loops.

While both belts work well, I prefer the Doc Noper belt because it exposes more of the shells, easier to pull two, three or four shells, and the belt is thicker which provides better support and access (from your body) to the shells. Doc also offers rifle reload loops on either side of the SG shell loops.  Not sure if Mernicle offers any thing but their rifle reload slides to put on the SG belt.

In one of the pictures the Doc Noper belt is on the bottom and in the other it is to the left of the Mernicle belt.  Apologies but you will likely need to download the files to see the pictures.

If you decide to try the Doc Noper with the single elastic loops, I also recommend the leather rifle reload loops.

Best of luck with your selection.  

IMG_2096.HEIC 1.91 MB · 37 downloads IMG_2097.HEIC 1.85 MB · 18 downloads

Won't open for me :huh:

Archived