SASS Wire Forum

Coated Bullets with BP sub....

Black RZR

I've been told to stay away from coated Bullets with black powder. What about with substitute 777? Opinions? Also loads for 350 grain on 45-70 for plainsman?

Coated bullets and BP SUBS are fine.   Real BP needs lube to keep the crud soft.  Scarlett sells APP 3Fg btw.  

Subs and coated bullets no issues.

Never tried T7 with filler so I'm no help there. 

For my first ever Plainsman match I loaded 2.6 ccs of Black MZ with 1.3 ccs of fine walnut media under a 350 grain bullet for my 45-70 loads. Very pleased with the results.

55 minutes ago, Black RZR said:

I've been told to stay away from coated Bullets with black powder. What about with substitute 777? Opinions? Also loads for 350 grain on 45-70 for plainsman?

Don’t load a 45-70 with 777 to the base of the bullet for the Plainsman.  You may damage targets and even topple them.  Try a reduced charge and a filler.

I prefer using coated bullets with APP and prior to that Black MZ. Haven't seen any issues yet. I've done it at least 3 years.

4 hours ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Has anybody tried coated bullets with BP lube & BP.

Largo

In pistols you can do it as they don't require much lube. In reality it is easier to put a dab of lube in the chamber of the first round fires. 

In rifles it doesn't work so well as they bullets tend to run out of lube before exiting the barrel.

I have been doing this for many years so my $.02.

Using a moly coat or whatever the red coating is with real BP.

I put enough powder in the case so by itself, if seated the bullet will contact the powder.  At the bullet seating station I place a .125" fiber wad, a .125" grease cookie and an overshot card wad and then the bullet.

The card wad keeps the grease cookie from sticking to the base of the bullet, the grease cookie provides enough lube so a star forms on the face of the muzzle.

Even for my 30" '73.

The fiber wad does double duty.  Isolates the powder from the grease cookie and acts as a wiping ring to push the fowling out.

Both Annie and I can shoot a 12 stage match over several days never touching the guns unless I want to.

Again, real BP, FFFG and some loads are FFFFG.

Same process for big bore except for a 3/16" grease cookie.

Chas B 

32-20, 38spl, 357 mag, 44 Russian, 44-40, 45 Colt, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 4O-65 and 45-70.

works for me...,358 105 thru 147 gr 777-2f

I'm confused as usual.  I saw that Scarlett sells those red bullets - I'm assuming they are powder coated?  If so, I thought the rule-book says no polymer coated bullets. 

32 minutes ago, Shanghai Jack said:

I'm confused as usual.  I saw that Scarlett sells those red bullets - I'm assuming they are powder coated?  If so, I thought the rule-book says no polymer coated bullets. 

I don't know where you read that.

The coating is a do no harm when it comes to subs and real bp however both real bp and subs do benefit from lube IMHO.  At typical SASS ranges a soft lube is not necessary in order to maintain sufficient accuracy but it does help to sprits a little Ballistol to keep thinks rolling and sliding along at least for main match guns. 

How far away are the rifle targets and how many stages of Plainsman are you planning on shooting?  I would avoid cleaning the bore or spraying the barrel down with ballistol between stages as this can easily result in more random flyers than than typical fouling.  My club typically shoots three stages (total of 18 rifle rounds) target distance and size make bp foul out a non issue at least in my 45-70s.  You could test it by loading up a box of 20 or so rounds and shooting from the bench at a 50 yard target.  If all your shots stay within a 12" circle you shouldn't have any accuracy issues with fouling for a plainsman match unless your particular club does very small or far away targets.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:48 PM, Wild Eagle said:

Might want to reach out to Scarlett Darling and Bullets by Scarlett.  She makes and sells coated bullets and shoots BP.

And her 125 works nicely with T7-2f for me.  But she shoots that nasty APP. :D

Archived