SASS Wire Forum

Western TV jails

Rye Miles #13621

I’ve always wondered if they really had a window in the cell like in the movies/TV. Their buddies could come by and give them a gun through the window which has happened quite a few times! Seems pretty dumb!:wacko: 

And those windows have bars that come out when pulled on by a white horse. White horses must have super-equestrian power. :lol:

I have always been fascinated by the fact that most outlaws in those TV Westerns are explosives experts. Why, they can blow a man sized hole in a one foot thick brick wall and not hurt anyone inside or outside. It’s amazing! ;)

50 minutes ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

None of them had glass in them.

Mite be a bit Chille in the winter.

They could mud in wood planks, I don't know if they did.  That would make it dark since they didn't have electric lights nor allowed prisoners to have candles.

Imagine the smell of jailed drunks without wash facilities in a sealed room.

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

They could mud in wood planks, I don't know if they did.  That would make it dark since they didn't have electric lights nor allowed prisoners to have candles.

Imagine the smell of jailed drunks without wash facilities in a sealed room.

No Light, Fresh Air or Facilities ..... I believe they call that a Tomb.

Least they should, cause who are you going to get to clean it ??

You should see some of the places they would put people in medieval times in Europe.   A western jail would seem like the Holiday Inn.   The underground dungeon at Warwick Castle had a 20 foot deep hole they would throw you into if you really irritated the castle owner.  I guess that's where getting thrown under the jail came from.  

r/Damnthatsinteresting - a window in a cave

The jails at Bannack, MT. Original jail on the right, and the roomy updated modern expansion on the left. There is no provision for heat, so with winter temps often well below zero, maybe a prisoner was housed elsewhere in the town. This is where Henry Plummer would have been held until being marched a quarter mile up Hangman's Gulch across the street to the gallows.

BannackJails.jpg

Good way to deter crime. No heat. Open to the elements. Tell a story to all newcomers about the guy that froze and got eaten up by rats and what was left oozed into the floor in the heat. 

It would probably work for a while. 

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Ya beat me to it!

I was actually looking for the one that Joe's dad and brothers were trying to yank the bars from the window. Couldn't find it on YouTube so I settled on this one. The one with window bars was hilarious also.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was actually looking for the one that Joe's dad and brothers were trying to yank the bars from the window. Couldn't find it on YouTube so I settled on this one. The one with window bars was hilarious also.

"And I helped!" :D

Archived