SASS Wire Forum

Coffee with a cop

Local event once a month, different place each time.  A local eatery provides coffee and light snacks and for two or three hours cops and the lay citizenry drift in and out and socialize.  Went to one yesterday and saw that all the cops were carrying Glocks except one.  I asked him to turn so I could look at his gun and he asked why.   I told him I noticed that he wasn't carrying a Glock and wanted to see what he was carrying.  Now, their holsters obscure all but the grips, and he grinned and turned.

"Do you have any idea what I am carrying."

I told him I wasn't sure but I thought it was Sig.

He grinned even more and asked how I knew it wasn't a Glock.

"The grip contour isn't right and isn't 1911 or Kimber."

He sat down and we talked and we were joined by a lady who is the department chaplain.  Lots of things were discussed and the chaplain finally looked at me and said "you're carrying a revolver, right?"

I told her I was and she asked what kind.  I told her it was a Colt Detective Special.  They both looked at each other and the cop asked if he could see it, so I opened my coat and showed them.  Neither one had ever seen an upside down "vampire" shoulder rig before and the lady looked at the cop and said "that explains why I couldn't tell what it is. The bulge was in the wrong place."

They got up to leave and the officer gave me his card and said "Give me a call sometime  We can get coffee and maybe go somewhere and do some shooting together."

THAT WOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED IN CALIFORNIA!  There was a time thirty years ago when it would / could have, but no longer.

I think I'll wait a week or two and call him up.

Sounds like a cool experience, Forty. I would like to attend one of those events myself. I will have to look and see if there is something like that here. 

I went to a Hunting and Fishing Outdoor Show last weekend. The ATF had a table there so I stopped by and said “Hello” and picked up some brochures including the latest Curio & Relic Handbook. I had a nice conversation with a lady working at their table. 
It’s funny, it turns out those ATF folks are people too! Whoda Thunkit? :lol:
Kidding aside, it was a nice conversation. 

There is a local eatery here where officers from the small town where it is located and officers from the next small town over, (that town doesn’t have a single place where you could sit down and have a meal) have lunch a couple of times a week.

Schoolmarm and I eat there every week or so.  I have been asked about my own carry weapon in passing conversation with several of those officers, always cordially , and on more than one occasion I have been complemented on both the gun and my comportment.

I’ve sprung for their beverages, without their knowledge, a couple of times.

edit: outside of the big cities, “Ain’t it great to be alive and be in Tennessee??”

They tried Coffee With a Cop here about ten years ago,  10:30am on Mondays.  It lasted a few months before ending the program ended, citing lack of participation.  They reasoned that retired people had already drank their coffee and the rest were at work.  Do they hold your event earlier?

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s funny, it turns out those ATF folks are people too! Whoda Thunkit? :lol:

Many many years back when I had first got into reloading. As I'm sure happens with everyone else, when my friends found out that I was loading they wanted me to load for them. I had no problem with that. Then I found out that you need a license to load and sell it. So I called ATF one day.

And I talked to the nice lady for a while - discover that the cost of the license, and more importantly the cost of the insurance, was way more than I wanted to even think about so I decided against it - and if she was getting information she asked for my name. Then she asked me how I spelled that. Asked if I came from Georgia. I told her my daddy did. She asked where and I told her Macon.

Turns out we were kin. My name and her maiden name was the same. I got a cousin in the ATF. Well, I probably don't have a cousin in the ATF anymore - it has been close to 50 years.

i have coffee with cops and drinks with them often enough to know its not that big a deal , if you are a law abiding citizen , i do enjoy the stories , often a bit of backstory that doesn't get to the media , i think everyone should take advantage to get to know the cops - your neighbors , your friends , im fortunaate n knowing a few , living next door to one , shooting with some , if your not a criminal - we are all just friends and neighbors , 

We do it about twice a year with the students on campus, and usually once a year at the McDonalds off campus.  It's well received and we have good conversation with lots of people.  

And I carry a 1911 as my duty gun.

The Town shooting range is behind my office. One of my crews are cleaning the berms as busy work. Stood with a cop for quite a while this morning shooting the breeze.

9 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

And we have a new officer that is just cute as a button..... 

Pictures??:lol:

19 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

So, was he carrying a Sig?

I saw a REAL Texas Ranger once in a gun shop. 1911 cocked and locked. With little Texas Ranger badges inlaid in the grip panels.

JHC

It was a Sig but I didn't want to cause any problems so I didn't ask what kind.  Maybe if we do get together for lunch I'll ask, but I don't  actually care.  I was just curious.

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Pictures??:lol:

21 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Tired of having coffee with cops.

Now if there is a "Coffee with Miranda Lambert," I would find a way to attend! :D

Yeah!! Had coffee with a cop for years until I developed an allergy to coffee!!

My dad was a cop for nearly his whole life! He still held his commission when he passed.

I quit drinking coffee, but we still had breakfast for many years.  Wish we could have one now!!

Archived