SASS Wire Forum

Taurus tracker 44 mag or GP 100 44 special

13 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Bret Vorhees? Any chance he's related to Jason Vorhees? If so, I'd take that guy seriously! :D

The Taurus line of Raging Bull big bore hunting revolvers all seem to earn decently high marks with QC.

Back before the CA Safe Handgun law went into effect my son wanted a 44M handgun for graduation from a paramedic education program.  I went to a gun store with indoor range in South SF.  Bought a box of 44M & rented a S&W model 29 & a Taurus Ranging Bull.  I fired 25 rounds out of each.   It was an easy choice the Taurus was way more pleasant to shoot.  The "squishy" grip took the sting out of the 44M & the ported barrel significantly reduced the wrist twist.  He still owns the gun.  I doubt he has ever loaded it with 44 Specials.  The Raging Bull's frame & cylinder lockup means that it will take many more thousands of rounds than the model 29 before it is knackered.

15 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Another great option for a lightweight 44 is the Smith model 69, 2.75" barrel. 5 shot 44 mag that weighs 34 oz. Handles 44 mag but excels with 44 Specials.

I just got to shoot one at Christmas. 44 Specials are great in it, 44 Magnums HURT. I am a S&W revolver snob, but the 69 is a hotrod. It would make an awesome backpacking gun in bear country in the Magnum load and the Specials for 2 legged varmints.

35 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I just got to shoot one at Christmas. 44 Specials are great in it, 44 Magnums HURT. I am a S&W revolver snob, but the 69 is a hotrod. It would make an awesome backpacking gun in bear country in the Magnum load and the Specials for 2 legged varmints.

Took my 69 to the range today. It loves 44 specials and so do I but I am finally getting used to 240 grain JHPs out of this and even 240 grain hard cast Keith style bullets out of this. It's still not pleasant nor will it ever be but I'm slowly growing accustomed to the abuse from a lightweight revolver. I don't not like it either.

This thing shoots point of aim/point of packed with all of these loads within 15 yards. I'm really impressed so far with this gun. Might have to get a 4" model to keep it company.

I will add though that some Taurus revolvers are ported and I tried a 357 ported version and like it a lot.   38 loads feel like a 22.  357 feel like 38 coming out of an air weight smith.  No problem as of yet but it is not used a lot.

37 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I like a six shot wheelgun.  That's why I went with a 624.  

624 VZ.jpg

That's one of my "Holy Grail" wants.

Very nice!!!!!

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Please tell us about the grip. 

VZ grips.  S&W N frame Boot Grip.  VZ-320 in black/grey.  I had to round off the seam at the front of the grip with a file, but otherwise they feel great.  And the original factory grips are safe and unmarked in a box.  https://vzgrips.com/products/s-w-n-frame-grip-boot-grip-vz-320.html 

6 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

VZ grips.  S&W N frame Boot Grip.  VZ-320 in black/grey.  I had to round off the seam at the front of the grip with a file, but otherwise they feel great.  And the original factory grips are safe and unmarked in a box.  https://vzgrips.com/products/s-w-n-frame-grip-boot-grip-vz-320.html 

Thanks! ;)

Had one of those Rossi 720 5-shot 44 specials.  At the price point it was a good gun.  Sold it to a doctor fresh out of residency and headed to work as the doctor at a prison.  It was his first handgun, as he was set on a 44 special revolver.  

Still have this Taurus 445 in 44 special.  Probably 30 years ago bought it new cheap.  I have not seen many of these around.  Did they all self-destruct or are people holding on to them, I have no clue.  Still tight as new.  Decent pocket 44 special to me.

I'll vote for the Ruger though.

0.jpg

Archived