SASS Wire Forum

Will a beer bottle really break on a head

Alpo

You know you see it all the time, movies and TV. Somebody busts a beer bottle over the other guy's head.

I never really thought about it. Just a part of the action.

Then I'm watching a bar fight in this TV show, and guy 1 hits guy 2 in the head with a beer bottle, and guy 2 drops like he been hit with a blackjack, but the bottle does not break.

That caught my attention.

Now I know that the bottles in the TV and the movie are made of spun sugar and they're supposed to break.

But a real glass bottle - especially a beer bottle which is logically stronger than a liquor bottle because it's not only got to hold the weight of the booze but it's got to hold the pressure of the carbonation.

Anybody ever hit anyone with a bottle, or seen anyone get hit with a bottle for real, or yourself been hit with a bottle?

Did it break? And whether it broke or not, did the hitee go to the hospital?

6 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Yes,  it will dont ask 

Long neck bottles and excessive drinking.

Been on both the receiving end and the giving end. 

The bottle will break depending on how thick the bottle is and how hard the strike is. Half the time the bottle won't break and will fall out of the user's hand as they aren't holding on to it well. I've never seen one break in the way that they do in the movies, you know...shatter...they don't. They break into jagged pieces and the holder of the neck of the bottle is usually left holding a stubby, jagged handle of glass, still VERY lethal but not like the movies.

The one I used didn’t!  

The one that was used on me, DID!!

That should answer the question to everyone’s satisfaction!

I think it depends on the force that's used to crack it over the guy's head!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think it depends on the force that's used to crack it over the guy's head!

And perhaps the hardness of the head in question!! :lol:

It dam sure will I still have a lump on my head from 40 years ago

I used to be a cop.  I'm 5-10, 185 pounds, so not a bruiser by any stretch.  That said, I spent my youth as a boxer and can take care of myself, especially with the tools the PD gave me and trained me to use.  I used to walk into barfights with the old school PR-24, the side-handled baton you saw all the time in the 1990s.  They have fallen into disuse because the Taser is a much better tool...for handling one person.  So I maintained my certification on the PR-24 and brought it into bar fights.  Start swinging ye ol' whoopin' stick around, and people generally get the heck away from you.

So I've been in a few bar fights, but I never resorted to a bottle in favor of my issued tools on which I was trained and certified.  That said, by the time I arrived, the broohaha had been going on for a while and usually there was more than one person injured.  I've seen a lot of gashed heads--some terribly bad--from beer bottles, but I don't ever recall one having broken on someone WHILE I WAS THERE.  There were always broken bottles lying around, but I couldn't testify as to how it happened.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The one I used didn’t!  

The one that was used on me, DID!!

That should answer the question to everyone’s satisfaction!

Same here

13 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I don't think my head is hard enough to break a bottle of any sort .......

.......... and I don't want to find out  :ph34r:

I wish that was me, the last place you want to hit me is anywhere above the neck :D

Not saying it will not hurt me, it is what happens to you after the couple seconds after i quit cussing

1 hour ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I wish that was me, the last place you want to hit me is anywhere above the neck :D

Not saying it will not hurt me, it is what happens to you after the couple seconds after i quit cussing

Yeah, I go a little Berserker when hit in the head. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yeah, I go a little Berserker when hit in the head. 

I decline to go into details.

I have had beer bottle, pool stick( the thick end) the end of a 20' 4"x12" beam hit me in the top of my head and literally crack my scull, 5 minutes of a cold compress to stop the bleeding I was back to work. Got my bell rang a few other time that I don't remember anymore, I stumbled  but never fell. Not trying to brag or anything, aw bs I am to bragging. No seriously it is like an on and off switch for me, when that switch flips I am hell on wheels only have one thought in mind. I'll send you an email next couple days Pat

A beer bottle will. A wine bottle is thinner and breaks much easier. A brick not so much.

thankfully i have no first hand experience , always avoided those situations , but , im going to guess by the responses it will , the resulting injury might be something to deal with that most of us might prefer to avoid , i know i would , there are so many things like that id like to avoid finding out , much rather just point and shoot should that be required , 

6 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I decline to go into details.

I have had beer bottle, pool stick( the thick end) the end of a 20' 4"x12" beam hit me in the top of my head and literally crack my scull, 5 minutes of a cold compress to stop the bleeding I was back to work. Got my bell rang a few other time that I don't remember anymore, I stumbled  but never fell. Not trying to brag or anything, aw bs I am to bragging. No seriously it is like an on and off switch for me, when that switch flips I am hell on wheels only have one thought in mind. I'll send you an email next couple days Pat

Same here. In my case though I am pretty sure my bell’s been rung a few too many times…at least that what my wife keeps telling me. :lol:

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Same here. In my case though I am pretty sure my bell’s been rung a few too many times…at least that what my wife keeps telling me. :lol:

Anybody that knows me have absolutely no doubt I've had a few concussions. :D

A 'fish bowl' will also break when it hits your head.   And it will also require a few stitches after the doctor

washes out all that sea sand from your skull.    Yea, yea, yea..... now you know what happened to me in my 

younger life.

..........Widder

ANYTHING will break against a head if you hit it hard enough.

Sometimes it's not good for the head either

9 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

"Whether the pitcher hits the rock, or the rock hits the pitcher, it's going to be bad for the pitcher."

Sancho Panza

Man of La Mancha

I had to investigate a few of these in my LE career, all led to a skull fracture.  Non Hollywood bottles are very stout, but they are meant to recycle......

Howdy Pards

I’m reminded of the scene in the 1973 version of “From Here To Eternity” where the Burt Lancaster character breaks a beer bottle to make a makeshift knife and makes the Ernest Borgnine character backdown.

Convinced me. I wouldn’t want to face ole Burt either.

Adios

Fort Reno Kid

Archived