SASS Wire Forum

Zoot Shooting

Phi Psi Joker

If I recall correctly the Zoot Shooters patterned their rules off of the SASS Handbook rules, except for the guns used and number of rounds. 

In a nutshell, Zoot is very similar to Cowboy, just with different guns.

At it's simplest form, you'll see a "caper" where have 10 to 15 pistol rounds.   You can use 2 revolvers, or an auto loader pistol, reloading as needed.

You'll see 10 to 30 rifle rounds, using a semi auto rifle shooting a pistol caliber round, 30 carbine is okay, reloading as needed.

You'll see 5 shotgun rounds, using a pump or auto loading shotgun.

You may also see a pocket pistol incorporated into the caper.

Cut off date for guns is 1949,

And that's about it, 

1 minute ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

In a nutshell, Zoot is very similar to Cowboy, just with different guns.

At it's simplest form, you'll see a "caper" where have 10 to 15 pistol rounds.   You can use 2 revolvers, or an auto loader pistol, reloading as needed.

You'll see 10 to 30 rifle rounds, using a semi auto rifle shooting a pistol caliber round, 30 carbine is okay, reloading as needed.

You'll see 5 shotgun rounds, using a pump or auto loading shotgun.

You may also see a pocket pistol incorporated into the caper.

Cut off date for guns is 1949,

And that's about it, 

Thompsons and 1911's dominate, and Browning Auto 5's are very popular as are 97's  

I have used those, as well as a Russian burp gun paired with a Tokarev pistol, a Luger, 1917s, Webley and have seen reproduction Sterlings and other semi auto versions of other SMG's, all kinds of autoloading pistols, and so on.   It's fun

Okay, basics for the guns:

All ammunition is lead, no fmj, coated is fine

.30 caliber or larger for handguns

Standard capacity magazines are legal, 13 round High Powers, 10 round Savage, etc

Velocities, including rifles, not to exceed 1,100 fps [yes, I know this is almost impossible with a .30 caliber M1 carbine]

Guns must pass the 10 foot rule for visible modifications

Checkering/stippling legal on pistol frames

Adjustable sights are legal as long as they are period [pre49] correct

Trench style shotguns are legal

SBRs are legal if your club allows them

Moon clips and half moon clips are legal, speedloaders introduced 1949 or earlier are legal.

Stripper clips may be used

I will post more as I can remember or dig up

On 3/8/2023 at 7:54 PM, Phi Psi Joker said:

Does anyone have anything resembling a shooter’s handbook for zoot?  A local club let people shoot it and I’d like to familiarize myself with the rules for Thompson’s and 1911’s. TIA

Start here  https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,108.0.html?fbclid=IwAR3wE37CDE21gtdM8mLySAI5foWahjbtzPKYCBx22YxBoPMChEGL3S70KuA

I am trying to dig up my old PDF of the rules, but am away from home right now.

Sadly, it never really caught on like it should have.   It's a LOT of fun.   Very similar to our game, just with a different class of guns.   I did make it once to the annual championship match out in Colorado.  That was quite enjoyable.   

I am Zoot Life Member 99, BTW.  They were running a special at the time.

As an aside, I recall about 2001 or so that there were some folks trying to get another game up and running. Same dress rukes as SASS, but shot with modern guns. Rem 870's and 1100's and such, pistol caliber carbines and glocks or whatever for handguns. Bonus points for holding pistol sideways while shooting. Called it Urban Cowboy.

Archived