SASS Wire Forum

Hark!

Subdeacon Joe

We've had a really mild winter here in NE Ohio. there's supposed to be some snow Friday into Saturday and these weather people are trying to make it sound like snowmaggedon but yet they're saying we don't don't yet know how much will accumulate. Maybe a dusting to 2-3 inches depending on what area you live in!

OH NO 2 inches???? I'd better go get some bread and milk!:o

When I read a forecast of approaching inclement weather, I consulted multiple weather forecasts from various news sources, NOAA, Accu Weather, Weather Bug, the friendly neighborhood witch doctor and my wife's and my arthritic joints. (Old war wounds, you understand. I'm an old Indian fighter, my ex-wife is an old Indian)

Pardon me, that puff of smoke on the horizon is my train of thought departing at a good velocity.

Now where was I -- oh yes, the weather.

Having consulted multiple sources of meteorological prognostication, I had to conclude that each was using his own proprietary dartboard, as each forecast was different!

3 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

When I read a forecast of approaching inclement weather, I consulted multiple weather forecasts from various news sources, NOAA, Accu Weather, Weather Bug, the friendly neighborhood witch doctor and my wife's and my arthritic joints. (Old war wounds, you understand. I'm an old Indian fighter, my ex-wife is an old Indian)

Pardon me, that puff of smoke on the horizon is my train of thought departing at a good velocity.

Now where was I -- oh yes, the weather.

Having consulted multiple sources of meteorological prognostication, I had to conclude that each was using his own proprietary dartboard, as each forecast was different!

You my good friend have hit the proverbial nail on the head!^_^

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We've had a really mild winter here in NE Ohio. there's supposed to be some snow Friday into Saturday and these weather people are trying to make it sound like snowmaggedon but yet they're saying we don't don't yet know how much will accumulate. Maybe a dusting to 2-3 inches depending on what area you live in!

OH NO 2 inches???? I'd better go get some bread and milk!:o

Don't forget the bung fodder.  Mebbe a Costco pack?  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Got to admit, now that I don't have to go anywhere, I prefer to avoid going off the property with fresh snow or when it is snowing.  Other than an absolute blizzard or deep drifts at the bottom of the driveway, the old pickup will get me where I need to go.  If I am drifted in, well, I can dig out with the loader on the tractor or just sit tight and wait for the weather to change.  We might run out of perishables, but could eat well for some considerable time.  

8 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Don't forget the bung fodder.  Mebbe a Costco pack?  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Don't go to Costco but BJ's is the same! Yea a huge amount of TP that'll last 6 months!

They changed the forecast to 3-5 “ but it’ll be wet snow and a lot of melting !! Huh???? 

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

They changed the forecast to 3-5 “ but it’ll be wet snow and a lot of melting !! Huh???? 

Our rain forecast went from about 2 1/2 inches, to 3 inches, back down to 2 1/2 inches for today.  And tomorrow's forecast went from about 1/3 of an inch to 2/3 of an inch down to 1/8 of an inch.

Mammoth Lakes is still forecast for considerable snow:

image.thumb.png.669fbff77609d1ba556bb6cd8e70d9f9.png

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

yes , we got that less than 30% chance of snow today , only job you get paid well for being wrong at , 

Well baseball players get paid a ton of money for hitting .300, that's 3 out 10!!:lol:

They've been talking about this snow all week for this weekend. Winter storm warning! This is Cleveland, 2-4" is not a Weather Advisory! It's snowing right now but not sticking because it's 35-38 degrees! They need something to report on so they get viewers and clicks on their website and social media pages.

We're like 40 inches short of snowfall average for the season. We've only had about 23 inches, normally it's 63 approx. So the weather prople are dying for anything they can report on!;)

So far, no snow this year here. Always a chance though.

Okay, not a chance in hell. Might get down into the 50's though.

Okay, not much chance of that either. 

This time of year is heaven in Florida. After May, not so much again until after October.

At least Cali received desperately needed precipitation. I just hope it is stored well and isn't wasted. 

Unfortunately, California predictions by NOAA are running on the accurate side.  We have an extremely heavy snow pack.  Then, yesterday began a chain of warm tropical rain storms, extending up to the 8,000' elevation.  The snow is melting out as I write this.  Severe flooding has already begun as our badly needed water runs to the ocean, damaging property enroute. 

Below is my video this morning of the bridge over a usually aptly named "Dry Creek" which guards entry to our Club's range.  The discharge through and over the bridge is well above 8,000 cu ft/sec. 

Archived