SASS Wire Forum

Happy birthday Elmer

Buckshot Bob

Darn! I thought this was about my favorite Elmer…Elmer Fudd. :lol:

No offense meant to Elmer Keith or his fans. 

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Darn! I thought this was about my favorite Elmer…Elmer Fudd. :lol:

No offense meant to Elmer Keith or his fans. 

Maybe he’s hunting wabbits :) 

27 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Maybe he’s hunting wabbits :) 

WERE WABBITS!

THAT'S WHY HE MADE THE .44 MAG

12 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Gotta use siwver buwwets for werewabbits.

Thanks!

I forgot my Vampire and Were Rabbit protocols.

4 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

IIRC one of Elmer's favorite sayings was "Use enough gun." From what I remember of his writings he probably used a .300 Weatherby to hunt cottontails.

JHC:lol:

No, he was a large bore fan. It would have to be at least a .340 WBY.

8 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

IIRC one of Elmer's favorite sayings was "Use enough gun." From what I remember of his writings he probably used a .300 Weatherby to hunt cottontails.

JHC:lol:

"Use Enough Gun" was a Robert Ruark phrase, first from his memoir "Horn Of The Hunter", later a book of collected stories by that name.

But, yeah, Elmer loved the big stuff, carried English double rifles on bear hunts.

This reminds me of a discussion I had with one of my nephews and his wife. They are both avid deer hunters. She asked me what rifle I would use for deer. I said 30-30 or .308.  depending on where oil was hunting. They both looked at each other and smiled. I asked them how they did deer hunting the last season and she piped up with “I got an 8 point buck and one doe.” I asked what rifle she used. She said “Winchester 70…300 Win Mag. We both shoot Win-Mags.” Now I am thinking “Holy Cow. This girl must be 120 pounds. How in the heck does she handle that gun with that round” Then she says “Yeah, heart shot at 70 yards!” with this huge grin on her face. I couldn’t help myself and before my Tact Angel could jump in stop me, I said “Jees, do ya think you used a big enough gun? Talk about overkill! Hell, you could’ve just thrown that heavy @$$ed round at him and took him out at that distance….Man!” Both my nephew and his wife stood there staring at me with these weird looks on their faces. Then her cell phone rang and I turned and walked away as she answered her phone. 

We haven’t discussed guns or hunting since. 
I wonder if the read anything by Elmer Keith? :lol:

I still get invited to family events at their house, so I guess they’re not mad at me. 

Archived