SASS Wire Forum

Fender skirts

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... are they like Poodle Skirts but for Lady guitarists ??:huh:

I think you folks call them "Spats" on a car.

When I was 17 I worked at a Service Station. A lady pulled in with a low tire. She had just run over a board. I do not recall the kind of car. It was a 50’s model. It had rear fender skirts. 
As I checked her tire pressure I could hear a light hissing. The tire had a leak. Well first let me say getting to the air fitting was a PITA! I had to have this bubble headed woman move her car to check the fitting as the skirt covered 2/3 of the tire she was adamant that I do not dare scratch her car or remove the fender skirt. She didn’t understand the concept of “roll slowly” or “stop”. Dip Stick!

Anyway, long story short the fender skirt would not come loose. The hardware was corroded and ended up breaking when the mechanic tried to get it loose. Then came the drama…

I think fender skirts look nice…on other people’s cars that I don’t have to work on. ;)

Can you imagine Wallaby with Spatz on his International Scout with snorkel. :blink:

Fender skirts, headlight eyebrows, curb feelers, lake pipes, shaved door handles, twin swept antennas, frenched tail lights, and choped, channeled, and sectioned!  A ‘51 Merc or a ‘50 Caddy with pearl paint, Mohair tuck and roll interior, and a sweet flame job!! Maybe a set of Moon discs and dual flame thrower exhausts!!

Cruising the hotspots on a mild Friday night in the mid ‘60s!  :rolleyes: :wub: :FlagAm:

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Saw a late model BWW roadster with a set today.  Very nicely done and a flashback to the days of my youth.  Couldn't catch up to get a close look but they were sure nifty neato keen.

Here I am wondering what fender skirts would have looked like on your chariot :)

dzhj1c9yroz31.png

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Fender skirts, headlight eyebrows, curb feelers, lake pipes, shaved door handles, twin swept antennas, frenched tail lights, and choped, channeled, and sectioned!  A ‘51 Merc or a ‘50 Caddy with pearl paint, Mohair tuck and roll interior, and a sweet flame job!! Maybe a set of Moon discs and dual flame thrower exhausts!!

Cruising the hotspots on a mild Friday night in the mid ‘60s!  :rolleyes: :wub: :FlagAm:

I had a '54 Dodge Royal  2 door hardtop.

Looked pretty stock on the outside, but we put a bigger V-8 in i and a 4 speed manual transmission and better shocks and a few other odds and ends and she was one of tho hottest cars in town.  Two or three could beat her (a 34 Dodge pick up with a blown Olds engine and a wild body job by a kid named Friedly comes to mind.)

After that I switched to European sports cars, mostly roadsters, and never gave up on them until I got out of the  Army and needed something bigger to haul me, the Missus, two kids, a dog, and a weeks worth of groceries.

Archived