SASS Wire Forum

.22-250 / 6mm BR: Savage, Remington, Tikka, etc.....

Well, I'm thinking of reviving my varmint shooting and will probably buy meowndangself a new (or used) rifle.

Help ME!    Do I want a .223,  22-250,  6mm BR, etc....... ?

AND, do I want a Savage model 12, model 10, Remington 700, Tikka, Ruger, etc...........

I will want it for long range, target type accuracy potential and I will reload for it.   I once owned a 6mm BR for Varmints

and it was a paper splicer (card splitter) and might consider another 6mm BR.

Any advice or help you can share will be appreciated.   

Thanks

..........Widder

How long and how big a varmint?  I love the 22-250 (no experience with the 6mm BR) but a 223 inside of 300yards is a really solid performer with lots of rifle and component options.  Most 22-250s have a slow 1-14 twist rate which really makes a 52-55gr bullet about the upper limit of projectile weights.  

JULY:   you're right about the .22-250 with the 1 in 14 twist.

Right now, I'm drooling over a Savage model 12 in 22-250 with a 1 in 9 twist, with plans to use 60+ grainers.

My varmints will be crow, groundhog and Coyote.

LEFTY:   my previous 6mm BR was in a customized XP-100 with a heavy 15" Shilen barrel set up in a McMillan pebble grain

synthetic stock.   It loved Nosler 70 gr Ballistic Tips....... but ground hogs and crows seem to be highly allergic to those.

Deacon:  I normally don't go after skunks unless one comes out in the daylight hours...... :lol:

TN is basically one of them nocturnal creatures.

..........Widder

Yep, those 2 targets above were examples of the accuracy I got from that XP-100 in 6mm BR.

The pictures should actually be turned counterclockwise 45-degrees to be the actual targets that I shot.

Both targets were measured Center to Center.   The .131 is a 5-shot target

while the .207 is only a 4-shot target.

YES..... both are at 100 yds.

..........Widder

This isn't the best one, but it's an "ok" 5 shot group with my Supersport custom grade 45-70 I had special made. Although I have a 45x scope, this grouping is with iron sites. I didn't use sandbags. It was fired offhand while standing. I lasered the target and it was 507.3 yards. Wind was from the SE at 12mph. I laid the bullet I was using on the target for size comparison.

:ph34r:

20230307_213709.thumb.jpg.b07b2d0c106ec5a61781db41e84536ed.jpg

Mercy sakes alive!

I think the only wind blowing at 12 mph is being generated between your cheeks, if you know what I mean..... :lol:

That bullet hole looks mighty perfect..... not bad for 3-shots.  

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Mercy sakes alive!

I think the only wind blowing at 12 mph is being generated between your cheeks, if you know what I mean..... :lol:

That bullet hole looks mighty perfect..... not bad for 3-shots.  

..........Widder

That 12mph wind was why I used a 9 o'clock hold over. 

That there is 5 shots, not 3.

Just now, Tennessee williams said:

That 12mph wind was why I used a 9 o'clock hold over. 

That there is 5 shots, not 3.

Well, if any of you Wire Pards wonder why TN is the reigning 'Biggest Liar in Tennessee', now you know.

Looks like that bullet hole diameter was the same diameter as a #2 pencil..... :o

..........Widder

I think that the "chicken feet" mighta had something to do with those targets!

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, if any of you Wire Pards wonder why TN is the reigning 'Biggest Liar in Tennessee', now you know.

Looks like that bullet hole diameter was the same diameter as a #2 pencil..... :o

..........Widder

You mean it wasn't real??

He's BS'ing us?

I'm shocked!

Shocked! I tell you!

Back to Widder’s original question, my varmint rifle is a Ruger #1 Sporter in 22-250. It was my dad’s rifle and started my love affair with single shot rifles. The 2-piece stock and light barrel won’t allow the accuracy of a true varmint-ized bolt gun, but it did everything I asked across the fields of southern Ohio.

11 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Deacon:  I normally don't go after skunks unless one comes out in the daylight hours...... :lol:

TN is basically one of them nocturnal creatures.

I think the word you are looking for is Possum. :P

@Tennessee williamsmust be one of them magazine article writers what gets quarter inch groups no matter what he shoots. :D

@Widder, SASS #59054I can’t help you with your quest but .223 components sure are a lot easier to get these days than many others. 

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Widder, SASS #59054I can’t help you with your quest but .223 components sure are a lot easier to get these days than many others. 

Good point. The 223 and 22-250 have been around forever and aren’t going away.

The newer rounds?  Maybe better performance at the top end, but will they be here in five years?

I bought a 243 for its superior varmint ballistics, but after purchased learned that hot running 243 are barrel burners.
I picked up a savage 223 single shot for this.

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

I bought a 243 for its superior varmint ballistics, but after purchased learned that hot running 243 are barrel burners.
I picked up a savage 223 single shot for this.

Unless you are plan on shooting over a couple thousand rounds you are not too likely to wear out a barrel.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/overbore-cartridges-defined-by-formula/

overboreindex2011.png.e5273e4376dfd0d1ed817fb47d171dcf.png

I'm mighty partial to a heavy barrel Ruger #1 in .220 Swift.  35 grain NTX with IMR4895 is great on small game.  4200fps is a bit hard on a barrel though.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:23 PM, Tennessee williams said:

Here's 2 targets of Widders' xp100 6mm br. 

51966.thumb.jpeg.190e2903b2626416c383b783b6e0f70e.jpeg51967.thumb.jpeg.ae450fa92fdb2be63992a38c1b6557b3.jpeg

Ain't ya supposed to hit the black part more in the center?

Asking for a friend.  :P

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Howdy Kid.

Tell your friend that when you are testing for group capabilities, you use the dot as an

aiming point in which you don't want your aiming point to be 'blurred' by a few holes.

After verifying my group capabilities, THEN I sight my crosshairs/bullet holes to be at the same position.

Once its sighted in correctly, those groundhogs and crows will never know where my groups were tested.... :lol:

..........Widder

Howdy All 

I use a 700 rem. Heavy barrel in .222 Rem. for small stuff , next step up is a Ruger 77 Hawkeye in .204 Ruger the barrel is pretty heavy when you consider the small hole in the center with 32 or 40 grain bullets, next up is my Heavy barrel Ruger 77 in .220 Swift using 60 grain bullets at 3,850 Fps. all these guns will shoot under .200 in perfect conditions for 5 shots at 100 yards... But I seldom shoot for group at less than 300 yards with these guns as I find that a better indicator of what to expect from the gun and load than 100 yards, some bullets settle in at longer ranges ... Those 60 grain bullets in my Swift will often settle in for 5 shot groups of less than .5 at 300 hundred Yards.... Under perfect conditions... Which is seldom...

I use bigger rifles for the bigger Varmints. Up to Wolves...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived