SASS Wire Forum

When Singer made the best M1911A1 ever produced

No, they did not make the best, they made the fewest, which made them desirable. I actually shot one once aboard my my ship. We had it in the armory. The Gunnery Chief took special care of it but allowed all of us GMs to put a couple of mags through it. It wasn’t any more or any less accurate than the Colt’s or Springfields. 

That particular gun somehow vanished from the ship’s small arms inventory a few months before I left the Navy. There was a little smoke and mirrors action going on and another 1911 appeared in its place. I am sure if one is a Gunnery Chief one might know ways to Doctor the books do a gun could be “replaced”. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. 

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’m not surprised that it’s just average after being used for 40 or 50 years.

Marshal, they were made to military specs, just like every other manufacturer’s at the time. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Marshal, they were made to military specs, just like every other manufacturer’s at the time. 

Yes but when evaluated as new they were so much better than spec that singer was asked to make precision stuff. Being in an armory for many years leaves them to standard treatment.

Well, all I can tell you is that Singer was well cared for with most of. It all its original parts. I was no more accurate than any of the other guns in the armory. 

People tend to romanticize the quality, the accuracy, the mystique of certain guns, like; 1911s, Colt SAAs, early Weatherby rifles, no model number Smith & Wessons, etc. when In reality they were just well made decent guns, not holy grails. 

Edit for error 

Howdy,

I have tried a lot of revolvers and early Ruger Blackhawks sure

perform well.  Better that later ones and maybe better than other makes.

Could just be me.....

Best

CR

I don't care what anyone says I think the Colt 1911 was absolutely the best! Of course that's only MHO! 

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't care what anyone says I think the Colt 1911 was absolutely the best! Of course that's only MHO! 

That's why the 1911 is still made today, even after 112 years. The simple fact that countless companies (including Colt) still manufacture millions copies of it is a testament to the durability and sturdiness of the design.

Archived