SASS Wire Forum

Remington 1873 10 Gage SXS Hammer?

Eagenator

New member to this forum.  I have an old Remington Model 1873 10 gage side by side  that was my fathers and it's missing the right side hammer.  I have attached a photo of the left hammer for viewing the design and would like to know the best way to find a replacement for the right side hammer.  Any thoughts on how to procure the piece?

Parts for those old gals are hard to come by.  May be easier to make one on your own.  Plus you’d have a cool story to pass along with it.  

It is also possible to modify a hammer for a similar modern gun.  My point is if you can’t find the exact part you still have options.  Whatever path you find yourself on I wish you well :)

The 1873 Hammer Lifter model Remington is fairly scarce.  It was Remington's first cartridge double barrel shotgun.  The hammers are unique for a cartridge gun in that the hammer face was recessed like a cap and ball hammer.  They only built about 5,000 so finding a hammer is going to take a lot of searching and luck.

69625967_Screenshot2023-03-06at3_28_48PM.thumb.png.b02c21a272a693e254ba2bd59c511235.png

Try Dixie Gun Works.   They use to carry kind of generic hammers. If you can find one with the right arc, you can modify the hole to match the tumbler.  Fortunately,  the right side.  Lots of parts to build reproduction percussion rifles and shotguns. 

All thanks for al the feedback!  Just have another question. One of the sites showed a hammer that looks very similar but it mentions a measurement that I'm not sure what it means.  It says "HM104 Hammer - Percussion 1  5/8 inch throw".  Does anyone know where the 1 5/8 is measured from?

Howdy E,

Just a thought, The hammer in your photo does not look like an original. Frankly, it looks like it came off a percussion lock. The fact that it is on the left lock puzzles me. With luck you may be able to find a right hand percussion one is similar. Just don't ask me for a source other than those listed above.

Good Luck,

Rev. Chase

This reminds me of the time my local gunsmith, a very talented guy and a master machinist, had a customer come in with a similar old shotgun that belonged to his grandfather. One of the barrels would not shoot and the guy wanted it fixed. So the gunsmith figured out what was wrong with it, but no parts were available, so he machined the new parts. When the customer came back to pick it up, he asked why the bill was so high. Jimmy, the gunsmith, said that he had to make the parts from scratch. The customer said “ We’ll, I didn’t want to spend that much, I’m just going to hang it on the wall.” So Jimmy said “Then why did you want it fixed?”

Archived