SASS Wire Forum

What would you call your kid?

Alpo

Leave us assume that you have named your child after yourself. Forty Rod Jr. Hardpan Curmudgeon Jr. Pat Riot Jr.

Would you call him Junior?

NCIS. Tony is Anthony Dinozzo Jr. His father doesn't call him Tony or Anthony. He calls him Junior. Indiana Jones. His name is Henry Jones Jr. His father does not call him Henry. He calls him Junior.

And it just sounds funky as hell to me (although I got to admit hearing Sean Connery frustratedly say "Junior" with his accent is very cool).

My grandfather and my father and my brother and my nephew are all named Edward. None of them were called Junior. My father was Edward, and both my brother and my nephew were Eddie. But not Junior.

I worked with a guy one time who was a "third", and we called him Trey. But I've never met anyone to answered to Junior.

No, I wouldn’t call my kid “Junior”. Regardless of his name he is an individual with his own identity. To me, calling a kid “Junior” is like telling the kid he isn’t good enough to have his own name and he is just borrowing yours. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Leave us assume that you have named your child after yourself. Forty Rod Jr. Hardpan Curmudgeon Jr. Pat Riot Jr.

NCIS. Tony is Anthony Dinozzo Jr. His father doesn't call him Tony or Anthony. He calls him Junior. Indiana Jones. His name is Henry Jones Jr. His father does not call him Henry. He calls him Junior.

And it just sounds funky as hell to me (although I got to admit hearing Sean Connery frustratedly say "Junior" with his accent is very cool).

My grandfather and my father and my brother and my nephew are all named Edward. None of them were called Junior. My father was Edward, and both my brother and my nephew were Eddie. But not Junior.

I worked with a guy one time who was a "third", and we called him Trey. But I've never met anyone to answered to Junior.

My Dad was a Jr.; most folks in his family called him Junior.  You must have come from a classier town than mine; I am a Third, but the kids i grew up with were more likely to call me ' The Turd' than 'Trey'.

LL

When they found out that the speck in the belly was going to be a boy, and they decided to carry on the family tradition and name him after his daddy, my brother and his wife referred to my nephew as Ivy (IV). I think they stopped doing that somewhere in his first year. When they figured he was actually paying attention to what they called him.

I was a "Junior."  I was called Rusty or Red until I was in school, then I was called Rowdy or Little Tom until I grew past Dad's height, then we both got new names Old Tom and Young Tom.  Dad called me Son, Mom called  me Honey or Son.

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No, I wouldn’t call my kid “Junior”. Regardless of his name he is an individual with his own identity. To me, calling a kid “Junior” is like telling the kid he isn’t good enough to have his own name and he is just borrowing yours. 

My folks named me after my grandfather and my father, making me Frank III.  I never felt slighted, but rather complimented.  At times it was a burden to live up to their example; at others, it was motivation to do so.

LL

2 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

My folks named me after my grandfather and my father, making me Frank III.  I never felt slighted, but rather complimented.  At times it was a burden to live up to their example; at others, it was motivation to do so.

LL

But did they call you “Junior”?

My name is Tom. If I had a son and named him Tom I would call him Tom, not Junior. 

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

But did they call you “Junior”?

My name is Tom. If I had a son and named him Tom I would call him Tom, not Junior. 

That would have been confusing, since my Dad was already Jr.

When I was born, I had an uncle serving with the Marines in Korea.  Apparently, my birth weight matched some kind of ordnance that was nicknamed a "buzz bomb".   The name stuck; to this day no one in my family (except my wife) calls me Frank; they all call me Buzz.

LL 

11 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

LL

My son is Paul T. III - Named after my uncle and brother.  For a while, all three were alive at the same time, spent time together, and all managed to develop very similar personalities.  We and our son consider it a complement as well.  The one thing we didn't think of at the time was the confusion that can result when looking through records/applying for anything...credit, background checks, etc.  We know who is who, but it only takes some outside person adding or dropping one little "I" to make a mess of things...

CS

TN Williams real name is Richard Edward...... but his kin just called him Dick Ed.....  :lol:

My brother was a 'JR', but my dad and younger brother called him 'Son'.    His name was 'James' or Jimmy.

..........Widder

Our boy was over-term and 10 lb 3 oz. with a full head of curly red hair.

His Christian name is Ian Jason Terrence and I still call him Big Red.

My father and I have the same first name, Roy.  It was his and I have always gone by my middle name.

So when someone calls and asks for Roy, we know it's a telemarketer.

My dad’s name was Thomas and he had no middle name. He was the youngest of thirteen children that lived and the joke was that they ran out of middle names.  He was named after his father’s brother.

When he was young, his father and the uncle that Dad was named after had a huge falling out! My grandfather never called my dad by his given name again. Dad was called Alfred from then on and that was shortened to Al by most of his family!

I was named after my father and Kevin was added as a middle name!

I always knew that I was in for it if my mom or grandmother called me by both names and that I likely was about to die if I heard my whole name!  I heard both appellations fairly often!!

To my dad, I was sometimes Son or Boy, but most often it was DAMMIT and a string of unrepeatable descriptives added! :lol:

Blackwater - trying to follow that convoluted story.

Your grandfather named your father Thomas, after his brother, your father's uncle.

Your grandfather had a fight with his brother Thomas, so he refused to use the name anymore, and therefore no longer called your father, Thomas, "Thomas". He basically renamed him to Alfred.

You were named after your father.

So is your name Thomas or is your name Alfred?

I have often seen this British tradition. My adopted father’s name was Horace Earnest Akeson Fisher. Horace was his father’s given name, Earnest was his given name, Akeson was his mother’s maiden name and Fisher was the family name.  Story was that Horace’s brother was founder of Fisher Body.

My cousin is Leonard Jr named after his dad. He’s always been called Junior to this day and he’s 71 !!

His coworkers called him Lenny but the family can’t stop calling him Junior!

3 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That would have been confusing, since my Dad was already Jr.

When I was born, I had an uncle serving with the Marines in Korea.  Apparently, my birth weight matched some kind of ordnance that was nicknamed a "buzz bomb".   The name stuck; to this day no one in my family (except my wife) calls me Frank; they all call me Buzz.

LL 

That’s a great story, Loophole. :)

My dad's first name was Charles his middle name was junior, depending who is talking to him is how he is called. His family called him Charles junior, others called him Charles or junior or Richard or dick.

I called my kids every derogatory, and races name I could think of, but I did that on purpose, they do not get butthurt if somebody calls them a name to get under their skin

My Dad’s given names were George Earl, my Grandfather was George Ansel. Dad was referred to as Brother and his sister, my Aunt, as Sister. Dad told me at about 12 years old, he got tired  of that and didn’t want to be called Junior or Georgie  or Little George so he told his family to refer to him as Earl. Being a stubborn kid he finally won out and was always Earl to friends and family. Officially his signature was G. Earl.
Once computers became available to corporations this was a problem as early ones were not programmed to handle an initial before a name. His paychecks were often issued to George E. or Earl G. Being that same stubborn person he would go to the Personnel  Dept. and make them issue a handwritten check to replace the incorrect one. I believe it took a couple of years before they finally got the programming corrected to get his name right. 

On the other side of that coin, I’m the oldest of three sons. Dad called me Butch until I said my name is Bob, not Butch or Bobby. So my next brother became Butch until he rebelled. It finally stuck on my youngest brother.

CJ

2 hours ago, Alpo said:You were named after your father.

So is your name Thomas or is your name Alfred?

I was in a doctor’s office while posting the earlier installment. I went ahead and posted what I had when the doc came in to check on Schoolmarm.  If you think you’re confused now,  here’s the rest of the story!! <_<

Everyone outside of my dad’s side of the family knew him as Tom or Thomas. I’m Thomas, as that was his real name.  

You can’t imagine the confusion my mom and her side of the family experienced whenever they met any of Dad’s folks! They all called Dad “Al” or “Uncle Al” when they visited and with twelve siblings and their families, you can imagine that we had somebody visiting almost all of the time!

To top off all of that, my dad was more than thirty years younger than a couple of his brothers and had nephews and nieces who were older than he was!  My cousin, George, was older than my father and insisted on calling him “Uncle Al”, particularly when he was among my mom’s folks and friends!  George was bald and prematurely grey!

As I had a middle name, I was never called “Junior” and even my grandfather, (Dad’s father) called me “Tommy” or “Tom”.  To this day, I can’t for the life of me put all of that into a logical explanation!  :rolleyes: :lol:

My first cousin's given name is Junior.  Supposedly named after a friend of his father's who was killed before Junior was born.  I think they finally found out that the friend's name wasn't "junior", but that was the friend's suffix after a given name.  

.... Following along from Loopholes' being re-named by his Uncle, my younger brother was named Nicholas Dean.

One day, when my brother was at the "crawling around"age, my Uncle(he was an electrician) was visiting and my brother was crawling around on the floor when my Uncle reached down to him saying "Come here, Brassbum". My Mother was shocked and demanded an explanation.

Simple; Nikle-arse ..... Brassbum ..... from that very moment on he was known as Dean and no explanation was offered.  :)

49 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

called me Tommy

I am not as old as you but I still have family calling me tommy

52 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

To this day, I can’t for the life of me put all of that into a logical explanation!  :rolleyes: :lol:

Family.

15 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I am not as old as you but I still have family calling me tommy

Yeah!  Me too.

In Canada, we cannot register jr, sr or the ll or lll after our surnames. Also, for example, you cannot name your kid, Robert Charles Milton Parker as the initials come out to be RCMP and that is copyrighted.

I am a Jr. I was never called Jr. If I had named my son after me I wouldn’t have called him The Third.  :D

My initials are RFD. It doesn’t stand for Rural Free Delivery like the RFD Channel

8 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Yeah!  Me too.

See Blackwater that's another reason I want to meet you I just found out we are twins

Lotflmao

Archived