SASS Wire Forum

Gary Rossington, Last Surviving Founding Member of Lynyrd Skynyrd Dies at 71

Cypress Sun

The last surviving founding member of the band Lynryd Skynyrd has died at the age of 71. I was, and still am, a big fan of their music.

I went to the 3rd to last concert that the original band did in October 1977 in the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, Fl. The next day I went out and bought their Street Survivors album. Three days later their plane went down and crashed when it ran out of fuel.

The crash killed songwriter/vocalist Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gains, background singer Cassie Gains (Steve's sister) and both pilots. Although 20 people survived, almost all of them were severely injured. The plane crash effectively ended Lynryd Skynyrd as a band for 10 years until Ronnie's brother, Johnny, reformed the band but it was never the same.

Thank you for all of the great music that is still popular today.

Rest in Peace Mr. Rossington

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/gary-rossington-original-lynyrd-skynyrd-guitarist-dead-71

Lynyrd Skynyrd’s music struck a nerve in the Rock ‘n’ Roll world. Southern Rock and Southern pride took the stage with a vengeance.  With it, the pride in our nation flourished as well!!

Skynyrd wasn’t as musically talented as some of the other bands like The Marshal Tucker Band or The Allman Brothers Band, but they rode a wave into Rock history and reached legendary status.

I knew many of the players in the Southern Rock family and they are becoming fewer in number, now more rapidly.

It is truly a sad time for me.

Rest in peace, Gary!  It’s going to be one HELL of a jam session when all the Southern Rockers finally make it to heaven!  Maybe they’ll let me sit in…

Archived