SASS Wire Forum

Hoppes #9 mouse deterrent

just dropped over $1000 to have my 4 wheeler repaired and the guy told me the throttle body is so eaten from mouse urine it will probably be dead in less than a year and thats another $1000 at least. So now im looking at ways to keep the little sh*ts out of my storage area and a thought occurred to me, in 61 years I have never had a mouse nest, mouse chewing, mouse crap or found a dead mouse in any of my gun rooms and often they were warm and there was food there. There has also been a constant smell of hoppes #9 in the room its like perfume for me and no gun room should be without it. Has anyone else ever found mice in a room where there gun solvents were ? I am thinking I may try throwing my dirty cleaning rags in a big metal bowl beside my 4 wheeler just for sh*ts and giggles

This may sound strange but if I were you I would spray my entire vehicle down with pine sol or some disinfectant to get rid of the mouse scents that may attract them back. 

My wife and I discovered mice in our house in North Carolina. We bought Black & Decker electronic ultrasonic pest repellers all through the house. They worked. 

Now that I think about it I have never had mice in my gun rooms or garage where I used Hoppe’s no. 9. I do not know if Hoppe’s repelled them but your point may be valid. 

18 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

But the little tiny tweezers and scissors needed to properly harvest them are very expensive :D

image.gif.06a20b46867f32955265f8bef5488766.gif

10 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

But the little tiny tweezers and scissors needed to properly harvest them are very expensive :D

My eyesight is not what it use to be either.  

A bucket with a couple inches of anti freeze and a ramp works great if you don't have to worry about pets. Used in my previous camper every winter. Usually a dozen or more floating in the spring! They don't smell or corrode! I put a dowel across with a PVC roller, just to help speed their demise. Like criminals, a dead one is not a repeat offender.:ph34r:

8 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

A bucket with a couple inches of anti freeze and a ramp works great if you don't have to worry about pets. Used in my previous camper every winter. Usually a dozen or more floating in the spring! They don't smell or corrode! I put a dowel across with a PVC roller, just to help speed their demise. Like criminals, a dead one is not a repeat offender.:ph34r:

Use water, not anti freeze.  Any poor unfortunate animal, dog, cat, hawk, owl, etc. that eats the anti freeze poisoned mice will likewise become poisoned and die.  The mice will still drown in the water, but then you can throw them outside to feed other mouse predators.  

Angus

I had a dog die of anti freeze poisoning.  It's an ugly thing.

1 minute ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Use water, not anti freeze.  Any poor unfortunate animal, dog, cat, hawk, owl, etc. that eats the anti freeze poisoned mice will likewise become poisoned and die.  The mice will still drown in the water, but then you can throw them outside to feed other mouse predators.  

Angus

I had a dog die of anti freeze poisoning.  It's an ugly thing.

I fully agree. I dispose of them in my septic tank when I clean the filter a couple times a year. The nice thing with the anti freeze is they don't decompose. I wonder if RV anti freeze would work and it's non toxic. 

You do bring up a good point, thank you, which I do keep in mind with placement. Been the main reason I don't bury them.

Archived