SASS Wire Forum

Lt. Winters Court Martial

Subdeacon Joe

https://taskandpurpose.com/culture/band-of-brothers-winters-court-martial-true-story/

"Nowadays I am holding the new title of executive officer for Co. E, 506th, a position I’ve been holding for three months without title. My job is to take charge of the company when the captain isn’t around, and he never is, and do the paper work. Don’t ask me what the captain does. Also, I now have six months seniority as a 1st Lt. so I am eligible for promotion, but that’s out of the question for there are no openings.”

467375743_pastedimage0.thumb.png.687cfb04a109a985aa8a49d9d426bf43.png

Hand drawn moustache:

1031287316_HangTough.thumb.jpg.6b080df49b2f09245631124620ea81db.jpg

No love lost between those two.

49 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I can imagine but, what was the outcome of the court martial?

He was found not guilty as the captain lied about having contacted Winters regarding formation time.  He claimed to have called Winters, but Winters had no phone.

Throughout combat, Winters ended up as a Major and was the acting battalion commander.  Soebel remained a Captain.  Winters once chewed him out for not saluting :)

1 hour ago, Irish-Pat said:

So el committed suicide later in life. he definitely had problems

He attempted suicide in 1970.  Bullet went in one temple, cut the optic nerves, and exited the other side of his head.  He died in a VA assisted living facility in 1987.

Archived