SASS Wire Forum

A question for motorcyclists….

4 hours ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

I don't and won't do it here in Texas.

And never really see it here either.

Good way to get your butt kicked. 

Why?

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Let me see if I can explain it, from the driver's point of view.

You're driving down the road and you see a sign. LEFT LANE CLOSED AHEAD, MERGE RIGHT. So you go over in the right hand lane. Everyone has gone over in the right hand lane. They are preparing for the closed lane. They have merged.

And because there's construction ahead, traffic has slowed way down. But you accept that because everybody is driving 10 miles an hour. And then here comes somebody driving 50 miles an hour in the totally empty left hand lane. He doesn't want to wait his turn. And he gets up to the end of the left hand lane, and then sits there waiting for someone to let him in.

I, and I assume many others, sit there thinking (occasionally saying it out loud) I hope you sit there and tell your car runs out of gas from idling, you stupid a******. That's not how it works. You don't break line.

And that's it. He's trying to break in line. He's not waiting his turn. We all have to wait here, driving along at 10 miles an hour, but he's too damn good to drive that slow. He SHOULD be able to jump to the front of the line. At least he thinks so.

Now here is the same car driver, in a similar blockage. Now both lanes are blocked. Whatever the trouble is, traffic is moving 10 miles an hour. And here comes this motorcycle driving up the dotted line at 25. He's going to jump to the front of the line. Who the hell does he think he is, that he should be able to jump to the front of the line? Get your butt back in line with the rest of us!

And that is the angst. The motorcyclist driving up the center line appears to believe that he is entitled to jump the line. You don't jump the line. That's hardwired into the human psyche. And people that jump the line - the people in the line that can't jump it hate them. WHY CAN HE DO THAT, WHEN I CAN'T???

If the car drives 50 up to the front of the line then slows down to 10 and merges, the line doesn't slow down at all. If the car goes up and then is forced to slow down to less than 10, then the whole line gets slowed down but it's the fault of the people who don't let him merge. It's the same whether it's a car merging or a bike lane sharing, if you don't let them do it you're not just hurting them, you're hurting yourself and everybody else in traffic. 

I think you were trying to say the same thing, I'm just saying it less politely. For anybody who doesn't like to let anybody merge, or moves over so a bike can't lane share, or drives slow in the fast lane, remember this the next time you make fun of milennials for being "entitled". 

WHY CAN HE DO THAT, WHEN I CAN'T???

You can't do it because there physically is not enough room.  A motorcycle can fit, and so, in California, it does.  Which means there is one less car in the queue, you'll get home one car faster, and you might consider being grateful for that. ;-)

Cheers,

FJT

IMG_2108.JPG

On 3/5/2023 at 9:08 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Splitting lanes isn’t the same as weaving in and out of traffic. I agree that weaving in and out of traffic is dangerous, especially when people in cars are jockeying for position as if they are in a race to get home. 

that is one of the reasons i no longer ride , none of it makes sense when you figure the weight/protection ratio of car vs bike - its a loose/loose proposition , besides i preferred a slow ride through the country to a highway ride any day of the week - but then you had the farm dogs and pickup trucks to watch for , too many trips through the ditches also convinced me to buy my boat with the proceeds of the bike sale , took a bit but i got that done 

Nautical term is law of gross tonnage.

You might have the right if way but you're gonna get flattenned

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

that is one of the reasons i no longer ride , none of it makes sense when you figure the weight/protection ratio of car vs bike - its a loose/loose proposition , besides i preferred a slow ride through the country to a highway ride any day of the week - but then you had the farm dogs and pickup trucks to watch for , too many trips through the ditches also convinced me to buy my boat with the proceeds of the bike sale , took a bit but i got that done 

And there is nothing wrong with giving up the bike. When it’s time, it’s time. If riding a bike has lost its appeal for any reason, be it; physical issues, uncertainty, no longer fun, it’s become a hassle, whatever the reason. There is nothing wrong with giving it up. Besides, you got a boat. That’s cool! :D

After my last bike crash I was pretty rattled. When I got back on my bike I did it in steps. I eased my way back into riding and for a while I felt squirrelly. Riding the freeway, even normally, had me on edge and I was riding in a way that can get one killed. I call it “Riding Cautious”. I was constantly hesitant. I gave myself an appropriate amount of time, 2 weeks, to get over this or I was done. The weirdest thing was, one day a week later it dawned on me that the apprehension and hesitation was gone. I had gotten beyond my own road block, but had I not, I would have given up the bike. 
My wife tells me I have motorcycle PTSD now. :lol: I told her that now, every time I see someone on TV take a dive, get tackled, fall or slide on concrete or asphalt my guts twist up for a few seconds. It’s funny, but then again, it’s not. I have had quite a few brushes with the road, pun intended. :lol: But I am still going to ride my bike. I love it too much. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And there is nothing wrong with giving up the bike. When it’s time, it’s time. If riding a bike has lost its appeal for any reason, be it; physical issues, uncertainty, no longer fun, it’s become a hassle, whatever the reason. There is nothing wrong with giving it up. Besides, you got a boat. That’s cool! :D

After my last bike crash I was pretty rattled. When I got back on my bike I did it in steps. I eased my way back into riding and for a while I felt squirrelly. Riding the freeway, even normally, had me on edge and I was riding in a way that can get one killed. I call it “Riding Cautious”. I was constantly hesitant. I gave myself an appropriate amount of time, 2 weeks, to get over this or I was done. The weirdest thing was, one day a week later it dawned on me that the apprehension and hesitation was gone. I had gotten beyond my own road block, but had I not, I would have given up the bike. 
My wife tells me I have motorcycle PTSD now. :lol: I told her that now, every time I see someone on TV take a dive, get tackled, fall or slide on concrete or asphalt my guts twist up for a few seconds. It’s funny, but then again, it’s not. I have had quite a few brushes with the road, pun intended. :lol: But I am still going to ride my bike. I love it too much. 

as much as anything it was my crash - that nearly killed me- that convinced me to think of giving it up , it took a few years with the replacement bike to get the plan done but ive not regretted the decision , the boat stands up by itself ..........

I gave motorcycles up years ago. Over the course of a half dozen bikes or so, and more than a half dozen accidents, it became clear to me that I will always be a ‘bold’ motorcycle rider. Since there are old riders and bold riders, but very few old bold riders it made sense for me to step away.

Given my experiences with bikes I give motorcyclists as wide a berth as possible. Yeah, many of the crotch rocket riders around here are super annoying and many are downright stupid, but I don’t want to be the one who teaches them a lesson that may cost them their life.

Lane splitting is illegal, but common here. I think it’s an unsafe practice, at least in the type of traffic with the types of drivers we have around here. Do it long enough and some jerk will eventually make you regret it.

I won’t be the jerk doing it, but I won’t be shedding any tears for the cyclist either.

5 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I gave motorcycles up years ago. Over the course of a half dozen bikes or so, and more than a half dozen accidents, it became clear to me that I will always be a ‘bold’ motorcycle rider. Since there are old riders and bold riders, but very few old bold riders it made sense for me to step away.

Given my experiences with bikes I give motorcyclists as wide a berth as possible. Yeah, many of the crotch rocket riders around here are super annoying and many are downright stupid, but I don’t want to be the one who teaches them a lesson that may cost them their life.

Lane splitting is illegal, but common here. I think it’s an unsafe practice, at least in the type of traffic with the types of drivers we have around here. Do it long enough and some jerk will eventually make you regret it.

I won’t be the jerk doing it, but I won’t be shedding any tears for the cyclist either.

Splitting lanes where it’s not common or allowed is truly dangerous unless doing it very slowly, but then you have the irate car driver that could pose a problem as well. 

When I first moved here to West Virginia I split lanes at a stop light without even thinking about it. California habit.

Well you would have thought I just committed a heinous atrocity. I won’t go into details because the whole episode was stupid and almost included a guy getting hosed down with pepper spray had the light not changed leaving him standing in traffic lanes while others decided to go on their way…

It was comical, actually, but it could have ended badly. 

In Oregon a radio station put out that it was now legal to split traffic in Oregon, just like it is in California. The radio station was mistaken. The bill allowing lane splitting was approved in committee. It wasn’t legal yet and still isn’t because the governor is a controlling leftist bi… I digress. 
Anyway, myself and quite a few others took this news to heart and began splitting lanes on a freeway in traffic leaving downtown Portland. You would think a city of enlightened “we are the world” “live and let live” souls would embrace the freedom loving motorcyclists taking life by the reigns and doing our own thing to get ahead. Many did not. What a mess. There was horn blowing, doors opening, cars maneuvering to block paths. It was ridiculous. And that was just what I saw involving myself and 4 other riders. 
Luckily I rarely went into Portland. Hated that place. 

It's almost like being libertarian in a world of control freaks.

It doesn't hurt anybody but everybody wants to stop the other guy from doing it.

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

It doesn't hurt anybody but everybody wants to stop the other guy from doing it.

Damned if that ain't sad and true.:lol::(

5 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Amen

Archived