SASS Wire Forum

Pat, you need a new bike?

Alpo

Many years ago you started seeing motorized tricycles - trikes. When I first heard of them I was told that they were dreamed up by bikers that had wrecked themselves so badly they could no longer ride a bi-cycle - balance gone or maybe they didn't have the leg strength to hold it up when they were sitting hadAT to stop.

So they put a two-wheeled bucket in the back, and they now had a tri-cycle but they were still in the wind.

They even had one of the outlaw bikers - the Black Widows - in one in Every Which Way But Loose.

i063872.jpg

Then, a few years ago, I started seeing reverse trikes. Two wheels in the front, and one wheel in the back. Strange. I don't know how that is supposed to be better, but there is.

Today, on my walk with Worthless, I saw a stretched reverse trike. Had a front seat and a back seat. 2 + 2.

IMG_20230304_151546458.thumb.jpg.8e6d5ba2f4103925cd7e935960b820f2.jpg

And I just naturally thought of Pat. :P

Thanks Alpo, but I am not ready for a trike yet. :lol:

That 2+2 thing definitely is not my speed. IF, a big IF, I wanted a trike it would probably be a CanAm Spyder…maybe. ;)

F398BF73-F645-4E52-9787-26D3391C71C3.webp.279cbacc78e4c4a115e9b58314814514.webp

I had actually tossed around the idea of a trike, since my back issues would cause balance issues on a motorcycle. I was seriously looking at a Spyder myself.  I decided that there are too many horrific drivers here to warrant the risks of riding a bike. 

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I rode a "Spyder" once ...

And that was enough, No thanks...

Jabez Cowboy

I have never ridden one. I am sure it’s weird after having decades on a bike. 

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It's called a Slingshot and it is made by Polaris. They come in 2 seat and 4 seat models.

See one in the town where I live quite often.

I have never seen a 4 seater slingshot. Alpo’s picture was the first. 

One 3 wheeler thst saw occasionally in CA was a Vanderhall. They are quite cool looking but there aren’t too many of them around, especially in the east. They have 1 & 2 seaters. They look pretty cool, like Indy cars of old. 

image.jpeg.06369f3167054aee18bf3350b6ff9518.jpeg

image.jpeg.1445e79154ccdf4d2826b6c03fa1c938.jpeg

image.jpeg.66db9d846eb788f22891e86f4c36ccc3.jpeg

image.jpeg.1f017d53da1e56a3b8091b5c99c8be55.jpeg

image.jpeg.09ed41e31fbdaf41aaf3afe678e7f9fd.jpeg

That 2+2 thing is a 4 seat Slingshot conversion kit, not a motorcycle.  It has traditional seats, steering wheel, pedals, seat belts, an autocycle.  Compared to the Spyder with it's frame straddling seating position and handlebars which qualify it as a reverse trike motorcycle.  Be sure to check out Campagna T-REX and EMA Motors if you're looking at autocycles.

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 Have you ever rode a snowmobile or ATV?  The Spyder is like that with less body roll and a scraping chin.  It is easier riding down interstate, more work in the twisties.  Instead of rolling the bike over, you clamp with your knees and hold your core solid as the seat stays flat.  The Spyder will hold any corner I've tried but it will try to shuck you straight to the ditch.  

7 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Pat Riot, SASS #13748 Have you ever rode a snowmobile or ATV?  The Spyder is like that with less body roll and a scraping chin.  It is easier riding down interstate, more work in the twisties.  Instead of rolling the bike over, you clamp with your knees and hold your core solid as the seat stays flat.  The Spyder will hold any corner I've tried but it will try to shuck you straight to the ditch.  

Interesting. Thanks for that perspective. I have ridden snowmobiles sand ATVs a few times. It was strange until I kind of got used to it. 

The Slingshot and those Vanderhall 3 wheelers remind me more of 3 wheeled cars, but are billed as “motorcycles”. At least the Spyder has a motorcycle seat and handlebars. 

I would definitely have to test ride a Spyder. One thing we have a lot of here in WV is twisty roads. Heck, even the interstates have pretty decent G-force enhancing turns. :D

11 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Seems to me that a trike with 2 wheels in back would tip over easier than one with two wheels in the front. 

I agree. It would seem that way to me as well. 

2 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Seems to me that a trike with 2 wheels in back would tip over easier than one with two wheels in the front. 

Yes, a trike can tip forward/sideways.  You can power out of this tip if there is room ahead and you have a posi.  More often you are fighting understeer because they push through the corners.  Another problem we've seen is riders get used to the narrow motorcycle front end and hit the protection barrier at the gas pump with a rear wheel.

Going from dry pavement to wet in a corner on a Spyder can cause the rear wheel to want to swap places with the front Wheels, right sudden ...

And the is no way to power out of it, and since the front and rear brakes are linked you can't use the rear brakes independently to try and stop the end swap... 

Got my first Bike licence 54 years ago and 2 wheels is still my cup of Tea...

Jabez Cowboy

Once a long time ago when I was a young man and avid motorcyclist, I was assigned a Department Harley 45 Trike for downtown patrol.  Was on I for under a half an hour and brought it back to the station.  Told the Shift Sergeant that it was not a safe machine, and that I would walk, ride my own bike or whatever.  Can't recall what the outcome was, probably walking, but I didn't have to ride that thing again.  I'm sure the current ones are better, but I don't have to find out.

4 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Going from dry pavement to wet in a corner on a Spyder can cause the rear wheel to want to swap places with the front Wheels, right sudden ...

And the is no way to power out of it, and since the front and rear brakes are linked you can't use the rear brakes independently to try and stop the end swap... 

Got my first Bike licence 54 years ago and 2 wheels is still my cup of Tea...

Jabez Cowboy

Interesting. I wasn’t aware of this, but then I never seriously ever considered a Spyder or looked into their specs. Thanks for bringing this up. 

Archived