SASS Wire Forum

Worth every cent.

Three years ago I bought this Champion dual fuel generator. It's big enough to run my camper, or to pull a cord inside and keep the fridge cool, and a couple of lights on. 

Power went out today around lunch. No idea when it will be restored, as about 10,000 customers are without power this evening. 

I'm sure glad we picked it up when we did.

20230303_175020.jpg

It looks amazingly like a Mazda Miata. I knew they were fun but versatile too? Outstanding!

Oh wait…is that the generator next to the Mazda?

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It looks amazingly like a Mazda Miata. I knew they were fun but versatile too? Outstanding!

Oh wait…is that the generator next to the Mazda?

Pretty much same size engine.  The mazda is quieter.

Amazingly, our local electric department has us back up and running.

32 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

What I don't get, y'all are gun guys. You can get a nice little emergency generator for an average gun price.  I would no more be without generator(s) than I would guns.  

A gun can stay at my side in a holster or on a sling, a generator sits outside making a noise to alert thieves.  At some point a person gets tired of buying a generator for a half nights use.  

1 minute ago, sassnetguy50 said:

A gun can stay at my side in a holster or on a sling, a generator sits outside making a noise to alert thieves.  At some point a person gets tired of buying a generator for a half nights use.  

If you have a garage, get some of the exhaust tubing car dealers use. Keep your garage door open just enough for the exhaust hose to go out the garage.

6 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

If you have a garage, get some of the exhaust tubing car dealers use. Keep your garage door open just enough for the exhaust hose to go out the garage.

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Keep generators at least 5' from all openings to the house. This includes windows and doors. Never run a generator inside a dwelling, this includes the garage. An quick internet search will show that generator induced carbon monoxide poisoning deaths are usually associated with running a generator in this manner.

7 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Build a 4" concrete pad with a large eyebolt through it. Make it large enough for your generator to sit on. Chain your generator to the eyebolt with a quality chain and padlock. 

Or light a candle, close the garage to lock the genny down at bedtime and go to bed

No need for power while you sleep. Set a flashlight next to the bed and you are good to go

My little generator is down for service.  It served me well while I was on the SASS match circuit, vending hats and bullets and such, but it needs a new battery and an ignition switch.

I have a spot set aside in my compressor shed for a big generator that can run the house and shop during long power outages. Just gotta put together enough cash to get what I need/want!!

Yesterday was the first time since 1994 that the power here was out for more than a few minutes.  After the ‘94 ice storm disaster, the local grid was rebuilt and upgraded significantly. The power was out for twelve hours last night and early this morning becase sevral trees and a couple of poles were snapped in winds reaching as high as 70mph.

We have plenty of candles and flashlights. I also have some battery operated lights. We only slightly missed the TV and got some extra sleep!!  It was back on early this morning.

Blackwater : you're lucky.

We live in a big sub-division, where the utilities are all buried, but in spite of that, we keep losing power at the worst possible times (Of course), 

We lose power several times a year for periods of a couple of hours to as many as 5 or more days, because the above ground lines leading into the area are......................not as robust as they could be! (?)

I live in the 3rd World section of metro Sacramento.
Every time the wind blows, or Newsom comes up with another bad idea... we lose power.
This occurs very frequently.

I gave thought to a nat-gas powered gennie, but the price is far too steep, plus the additional cost of installation, then exposing it to the elements.
With all that in mind, we just tough it out.

7 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Blackwater : you're lucky.

We live in a big sub-division, where the utilities are all buried, but in spite of that, we keep losing power at the worst possible times (Of course), 

We lose power several times a year for periods of a couple of hours to as many as 5 or more days, because the above ground lines leading into the area are......................not as robust as they could be! (?)

No, it's because all electrical power distribution lines originate from overhead lines. Just no way to get away from it. Underground lines simply can only handle about 30% of the load of free air based powerlines. The fact that the power generating facilities haven't been built in years doesn't help things, nor does the increased electrical demand of todays usage.

I've read that the if the indicator lights that are on everything plugged in, or hardwired, were (somehow) able to be disconnected, between 5 - 10% of all electrical usage would be reduced. I believe that. It's called parasitic draw. There's a lot of "indicator" type lights in my house but there's no way to turn them off.  When you turn off the lights tonight, look at all of the small red, green, blue, etc. lights that are still on. You'll be surprised at what's still using power when you look. Clocks, electronics, stoves, microwaves, doorbells, smoke detectors, chargers...just name it. Parasitic draw.

After the Great Ice Storm of 1998, Ontario Hydro and the local utilities developed a program to make the catenary towers and cables more robust and able to withstand high winds and ice accumulation, but progress has been slow and expensive.

I had a number of interesting and varied experiences with that event!

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Build a 4" concrete pad with a large eyebolt through it. Make it large enough for your generator to sit on. Chain your generator to the eyebolt with a quality chain and padlock. 

My last generator was stolen when two guys cut the lock at night, drove off in a pickup they'd stolen 2 weeks prior.  Now we have a Generac bolted to the pad with welded threads.  I'll hear the grinder.

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

Keep generators at least 5' from all openings to the house. This includes windows and doors. Never run a generator inside a dwelling, this includes the garage. An quick internet search will show that generator induced carbon monoxide poisoning deaths are usually associated with running a generator in this manner.

A friend came home to find his wife passed out.  She couldn't find the long extension cord so she had brought the generator into the house.  It was a quiet Honda suitcase generator.

5 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Or light a candle, close the garage to lock the genny down at bedtime and go to bed

No need for power while you sleep. Set a flashlight next to the bed and you are good to go

Sleeping is the only time we truly need power, 2 breathing machines and other medical devices.  

I’m a big fan of generators.  We have a well and without power we don’t have water.  I bought a generac on demand and am so glad.  Back when we bought it a few years ago things were cheaper.  Now they advertise one powered by solar panels and have battery storage.  

Archived