SASS Wire Forum

High School

Utah Bob #35998

I know I’m a dinosaur but I just saw on the news that there is another Walk Out protest at a high school in Denver. This seems to be a popular pastime these days. Generally the shell administrations just take it in stride, like it’s normal and acceptable. No consequences. I have seen walk outs increasing over the past few years protesting everything from school board decisions, to gun violence, to firing or hiring of teachers and other issues, some of which are not school or education related at all. Just political or social issues.

I can imagine what would have happened if I had tried that at 16. High School is Not college. You are required to be there.

Where does it end?
In the future will there be elementary school walk outs? Day School crawl outs?

When I went to High School (in another state) they took attendance everyday. The schools monies from the state were based on attendance. If there were a lot of absences,  the truant officer was knocking on your door. If a lot of the students walked out and state cut the schools monies for that month, week or day, I'll bet it would get the school's administration attention in a hurry!

if they are learning anything at all ...............the current numbers indicate our education system is failing beyond anything that would be allowed in the private sector - something needs to change but i fear its gotta start with how we educate teachers , , for a long time i kept hearing "average results" were perfectly acceptable but now its we need to depress and supress any achievement to bring equity results in line , rewarding stupidity wont get us very far in the near future , 

The students who walked out at East High School in Denver, did so to attend a demonstration in nearby downtown Denver after a fellow student, who had been shot in his car, outside the school, three weeks ago, died! Could there have been another way to demonstrate their grief and outrage that there hasn't been more done to make them feel safe in/at/around school?  Maybe. But it is a sad fact that there has been entirely too much violence around schools lately!  What do I care? Well, I happen to have a grandchild, who is a junior at a high school geographically removed from East by a number of miles, but it still concerns me! 

I wish I had an answer for this, but I don't! More gun laws isn't the answer, as the ones on the books now aren't being enforced effectively. Perps who commit gun violence and are under 18, should be punished severely, especially if they commit murder!  

The public schools are dysfunctional in many ways.    While I am sure there are a fair share of liberal teachers who cause issues, but It’s not all the teachers fault.   My cousin teaches high school science and the parents and administrators are just as much to blame.  No one accepts responsibility for their actions.  Parents can’t accept that their wonderful kid is failing and not doing homework.   The parents expect if they give $$ the kid gets preferential treatment.  The admin won’t back the teachers on discipline, so it become run by the kids.   In many ways it’s a mirror of our current society where laws or rules people don’t like are ignored without consequence.   

If I was young and had a child/children in school, I would find a way to send them to private schools. Better education for sure.

I  went to high school at MCHS in Cortez, CO. Had any of us done a walkout, the minimum consequence would have been getting cut from any sports team you were currently on. More than likely we would have been barred from school pending a meeting with the principal, the superintendent AND our parents. Had teachers walked out, I'm sure they would have been fired. Those folks just didn't put up with that kind of crap. We didn't have violence even though almost every pickup in the parking lot had a rifle rack and a visible firearm in it, on school grounds during school hours. 

1 hour ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

My dad would have killed me if he found out I walked out of HS!! Where are the parents?

They love their kids so much, they send them off everyday for someone else to raise them.

5 hours ago, watab kid said:

if they are learning anything at all ...............the current numbers indicate our education system is failing beyond anything that would be allowed in the private sector - something needs to change but i fear its gotta start with how we educate teachers , , for a long time i kept hearing "average results" were perfectly acceptable but now its we need to depress and supress any achievement to bring equity results in line , rewarding stupidity wont get us very far in the near future , 

People fail to correlate educating with raising. They think it’s two different things when it has become one in the same. School environment shapes and influences young minds as much as anything. When parents send kids off to these tax payer funded, government run indoctrination day camps, what the hell do they expect for their kids and the future of our country? On latter point, I don’t expect anything more than a cultural decline and a degradation on individuality and personal freedom.

3 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

People fail to correlate educating with raising. They think it’s two different things when it has become one in the same. School environment shapes and influences young minds as much as anything. When parents send kids off to these tax payer funded, government run indoctrination day camps, what the hell do they expect for their kids and the future of our country? On latter point, I don’t expect anything more than a cultural decline and a degradation on individuality and personal freedom.

amen to that , i fought to raise mine well , thankfully we did a good job - i attribute most of that to my dear wife who watched and counteracted a lot of that indoctrination , she was a sounding board while i was working and told me of the stuff that was happening , she also countered the "average" stuff they were teaching and made our kids live to their potentials - im prod of our kids today because of it but cant take a lot of credit short of being a good role model when i was there , its sad that so many bought into that BS when we have so many kids that are exceptional , ive met a lot of them in the SASS arena and proud of them as well , i wish more kids had the "raisin" you spoke of , im happy to see those that do , 

its hard work raising good kids to carry on in this world .....im thankful for mine and admire the fact they continue that good work my wife taught them - it shows in my grandkids , but i was also fortunate to have good 'other' folks in their lives as well , the ones that did the teaching when we were not around , wish everone had that , no one teaches your kids as well as you do but they are influenced by those others that they learn from around you - associate with good folks and they turn out good , 

my kids were taught to think for themselves and make good choices , ive been blessed , i hope all of you are rewarded the same , NO VILLAGE but good associations , the kind that leave the right impressions along the way , life is short - enjoy it but keep in mind everything you do leaves an impression on the young - our future if we have one , 

14 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

I  went to high school at MCHS in Cortez, CO. Had any of us done a walkout, the minimum consequence would have been getting cut from any sports team you were currently on. More than likely we would have been barred from school pending a meeting with the principal, the superintendent AND our parents. Had teachers walked out, I'm sure they would have been fired. Those folks just didn't put up with that kind of crap. We didn't have violence even though almost every pickup in the parking lot had a rifle rack and a visible firearm in it, on school grounds during school hours. 

Things have changed at MCHS. I taught there for a couple of years (2002/2004). They built a new high school near WalMart a couple of years ago. The problem is that they can't keep Principles and teachers because the school board keeps changing the rules. I had a student who was absent 25% of the time, didn't do any work and failed midterms and final. I was told that I couldn't fail the student because they were culturally challenged and they needed to stay in school. The family lived in Toyaoc, so you probably know the problems that exist there. Pretty sad deal 

On 3/3/2023 at 10:18 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

When I went to High School (in another state) they took attendance everyday. The schools monies from the state were based on attendance. If there were a lot of absences,  the truant officer was knocking on your door. If a lot of the students walked out and state cut the schools monies for that month, week or day, I'll bet it would get the school's administration attention in a hurry!

In Alabama, it's total enrollment AND average attendance.

The high school I went to had the enrollment to jump up to the next classification but average attendance was short by about a dozen people- and the next higher classification meant more money and competing both academically and in sports against a different group of schools.

Needless to say, they really locked down on attendance, check-outs, truancy and absenses of any sort.  That led to the loss of some students through transfers to private schools and more dropouts until they had the attendance but not the total enrollment. 

A few years after I graduated, they finally made the jump.

17 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

… Where are the parents?

Government have taken parents rights away too.  Children sue their parents for anything.

When the daughter was in junior high she announced she was going to report me for child abuse (enforcing curfew).  I told there was the phone do it.  But remember while I was sitting in jail I wouldn’t be working, no work no money, no money no food on the table and no place to sleep.  She decided not to call and I continued to enforce curfew.

The walkouts can only go only so far before nobody is there.  Then they'll have to stage sit-ins to make their idiotic political statements.  

Sadly, few kids would care about these issues, if not for the indoctrination they're daily receiving.  

3 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The walkouts can only go only so far before nobody is there.  Then they'll have to stage sit-ins to make their idiotic political statements.  

Sadly, few kids would care about these issues, if not for the indoctrination they're daily receiving.  

Remember many of those that protested and sat in in the 70s became politicians of today.  :(

On 3/3/2023 at 9:28 AM, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

It seems that they're only learning stuff like identity politics, gender identification and critical race theory anyway, so not much of a loss there.

You are right, Sgt.  Unfortunately, they are getting a lot of woke stuff instead of the good stuff that we used to get. Well, except that algebra was a useless subject, who ever used it after high school, other than math teachers. 

2 hours ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

You are right, Sgt.  Unfortunately, they are getting a lot of woke stuff instead of the good stuff that we used to get. Well, except that algebra was a useless subject, who ever used it after high school, other than math teachers. 

We used algebra for Newton's 3rd law a lot as mechanics. 

18 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

But when is the last time you had to dissect a sentence?

18 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

But when is the last time you had to dissect a sentence?

Uh......Can't remember, probably when I was in school.  I wasn't aware that mechanics used algebra, interesting.

8 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Things have changed at MCHS. I taught there for a couple of years (2002/2004). They built a new high school near WalMart a couple of years ago. The problem is that they can't keep Principles and teachers because the school board keeps changing the rules. I had a student who was absent 25% of the time, didn't do any work and failed midterms and final. I was told that I couldn't fail the student because they were culturally challenged and they needed to stay in school. The family lived in Toyaoc, so you probably know the problems that exist there. Pretty sad deal 

UB told me they had a new high school and that the one I attended across from the Ute Truck Stop is now the Jr. High. I never knew a WalMart so have no idea where the new one is. I saw on the map that there's a new City Market east of the one I knew. Can you give me a street or references that I might know such as Safeway and pool or bowling alley to the east. I lived on Ash and at the intersection of Ash & Main was City hall and the Ford dealership and the fire station. When you started talking about your student, I knew precisely what he was and where he lived. Sounds like that problem still exists. I knew a couple who were good athletes but had trouble keeping a good GPA. Delbert Borrelli was not shy about removing folks from sports teams but did balk at school expulsions. 

PF

1 hour ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

UB told me they had a new high school and that the one I attended across from the Ute Truck Stop is now the Jr. High. I never knew a WalMart so have no idea where the new one is. I saw on the map that there's a new City Market east of the one I knew. Can you give me a street or references that I might know such as Safeway and pool or bowling alley to the east. I lived on Ash and at the intersection of Ash & Main was City hall and the Ford dealership and the fire station. When you started talking about your student, I knew precisely what he was and where he lived. Sounds like that problem still exists. I knew a couple who were good athletes but had trouble keeping a good GPA. Delbert Borrelli was not shy about removing folks from sports teams but did balk at school expulsions. 

PF

The new school is on Sligo St. about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 160. WalMart is also on Sligo just south of 160 between 160 and the new HS.

Had this here yesterday.

A student got stabbed, well, two students got stabbed and one died at Montgomery High in Santa Rosa.  Same day a student had brought a POS "Titan" .25 ACP pistol to school.... dumped it in front of one of the homes here in the mobile home park

Now, a few years ago students were whining that cops on campus made them feel threatened and unsafe.  Now they are demanding cops or something back on campus so they can feel safe.

https://abc7news.com/montgomery-high-school-santa-rosa-stabbing-maria-carrillo-walkout/12910675/

44 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Now, a few years ago students were whining that cops on campus made them feel threatened and unsafe.  Now they are demanding cops or something back on campus so they can feel safe.

It's too bad that the teachers can't, or won't, carry in school.

22 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The new school is on Sligo St. about 1/2 mile south of Hwy 160. WalMart is also on Sligo just south of 160 between 160 and the new HS.

Thanks; I really had to search for it. I don't remember Sligo Rd. I remember the "new Safeway" built around mid-60s, I think. I worked at the old one when it was downtown on corner of Main & Market, south of Digger Ertel's funeral home. I also worked at old City Market when it was NW of that intersection  Seems like they built the swimming pool somewhere close to new Safeway and just north of 160. Then near intersection of 160 and the Dolores Rd, there was a bowling alley south of 160 where I also worked. I graduated in 61; made it back for 71 reunion. That's the last I was there so I know I probably wouldn't recognize the town. Our house is still there but I don't see the garage that Dad built next to the alley. Thanks for the update.

PF

im not quite a dinosaur but getting there , already there to kids of today , , the only disturbance that didnt get squashed in my high school [ i had a class of over 750] was a VN demonstration in 66/67 that i recall , it actually started at the college a mile or so away and somehow migrated , it got squelched quickly - there was never a walkout - more a rally round the flagpole that ended in a small fire and police presence , a year later i was enrolled in that college - the demonstrations and such ended in a bomb in the science building [no one was hurt thankfully] but nothing good comes from all this BS , its the communist way to take over in ciaos , we can stop it or live with it like all the third world countries do ----just that simple , 

i get it that someone is upset about a local shooting and all , but look for ways to heal , to improve , causing more pain -suffering -loss , what does that gain  ? 

seems kids are looking for leaders ....guess they always have been ....maybe its time for the Politian's to take the real lead instead of lining their pockets and playing at stupid games , real people die in their stupid games while they get rich and take more of our money to continue this crap , 

lets watch chicago for a year and see what happens , closer to home - i watch MPLS/STP but i dont go there anymore ....and i wont till they get control and restore law , ill watch the local high schools but mostly i see what the kids do on our trap fields here - i believe we have hope , its just a long way down the tunnel right now 

Archived