SASS Wire Forum

Johnsonville gun stock wax

Many years ago in a land far away I worked for a black powder gun shop.

We sold a product called Jacksonville gun stock wax, a semi liquid stuff in a small plastic bottle.  It worked miracles on all gun stocks.  My last existing bottle is down to a few precious drops and I can't find it on the internet or at any gun shops.

If it's still available I'd like to get some more and if it isn't, what is the recommended stuff these days

6 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

I use Johnson's Paste Wax

Johnson’s Paste Wax is no longer available. 

https://discontinuednews.com/johnson-paste-wax-discontinued/

Here are alternatives according to this article:

Briwax has been the go-to brand for furniture finishing supplies for over a century. This thick paste wax retains its firmness and is easy to apply. It should be considered an alternative to Johnson’s paste wax.

Minwax is also an excellent alternative to Johnson’s paste wax. Minwax can be used very quickly and does not leave a tacky surface. It is also an affordable and maintenance-free product.

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Johnson’s Paste Wax is no longer available. 

https://discontinuednews.com/johnson-paste-wax-discontinued/

Here are alternatives according to this article:

Briwax has been the go-to brand for furniture finishing supplies for over a century. This thick paste wax retains its firmness and is easy to apply. It should be considered an alternative to Johnson’s paste wax.

Minwax is also an excellent alternative to Johnson’s paste wax. Minwax can be used very quickly and does not leave a tacky surface. It is also an affordable and maintenance-free product.

It’s good I don’t glass bed very many rifles anymore, the can I have will have to last. I don’t use it on stocks but I prefer it to acraglass release agent. I feel it works better and you don’t have the mess with clean up. Just always apply 2 coats Incase you miss a spot, there’s nothing worse than gluing your rifle in a stock “unless that’s your intention” 

12 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They also make this cleaner, but I have never tried it. I’ve always liked their gun wax 

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/stock-finishing/pre-lim-surface-cleaner/

I learned about "Howard Feed-N-Wax" from an old gunsmith a long time ago.  When I tear down for cleaning I use a generous amount & let stand overnight - wipe off in the morning with a soft cloth (for really bad stock repeat) After several times the stock has a nice shine/Gloss and is very well protected & it is not sticky or greasy feeling.  You can get a 16 oz bottle for around $14 at ACE Hardware or even buy it online.  I stock up & usually buy 3 at a time. 

Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, Beeswax & Orange ...

My 300 Win Mag Stock after several coats.1815775709_300WinMag2.thumb.jpg.e172e8eabd745e87ee56d8482eba9ad0.jpg

Also the 28 Nosler after multiple coats of Howards

NMIQ0569.JPG.9b7c0e958144c043a30bc385430b27b6.JPG

& my Henry after 1 coating

Henry1.jpg.2fe2b785daba4c3d1a983f09b28d78c4.jpg

5 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It’s good I don’t glass bed very many rifles anymore, the can I have will have to last. I don’t use it on stocks but I prefer it to acraglass release agent. I feel it works better and you don’t have the mess with clean up. Just always apply 2 coats Incase you miss a spot, there’s nothing worse than gluing your rifle in a stock “unless that’s your intention” 

When using it with acraglass, do you rub it out or just wipe it on and let dry? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When using it with acraglass, do you rub it out or just wipe it on and let dry? Thanks.

Don’t buff it off before you bed the gun , you can see the white haze but I always still did 2 applications to make sure I didn’t miss a spot. Then when you’re done just buff it out. The acraglass release agent works well it’s just a mess to clean off afterwards, you never seem to get it all. Also if you’re going to use tape for say free floating the bbl use something like electrical or duct tape that’s isn’t porus . Masking tape sometimes will stick to the bedding compound 

4 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I learned about "Howard Feed-N-Wax" from an old gunsmith a long time ago.  When I tear down for cleaning I use a generous amount & let stand overnight - wipe off in the morning with a soft cloth (for really bad stock repeat) After several times the stock has a nice shine/Gloss and is very well protected & it is not sticky or greasy feeling.  You can get a 16 oz bottle for around $14 at ACE Hardware or even buy it online.  I stock up & usually buy 3 at a time.                                                  

+1 for Howard's. I was turned on to it by a gentleman who makes multi-thousand dollar custom shotgun stocks and who both uses and recommends it.

7 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I learned about "Howard Feed-N-Wax" from an old gunsmith a long time ago. 

Do you put this over varnish, tung oil, other coatings? Does it help protect the wood regardless?

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Do you put this over varnish, tung oil, other coatings? Does it help protect the wood regardless?

I would guess safe for cutting boards so oil finishes be best. Varnish might ge damage from orange oil.

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I would guess safe for cutting boards so oil finishes be best. Varnish might ge damage from orange oil.

Thanks. I was just curious. I do have a couple of stocks that I used Tung Oil on that I might try waxing. I have used Renaissance Wax on varnished grips and blued steel and they looked great. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I've used it on every finish & never had an issue.  There are multiple ways to apply & remove here are a couple videos:

14 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

Howard FW0016 Feed-N-Wax Wood Polish and Conditioner, Beeswax & Orange ...

My 300 Win Mag Stock after several coats.1815775709_300WinMag2.thumb.jpg.e172e8eabd745e87ee56d8482eba9ad0.jpg

I have a bottle of this that I have used on furniture with great results.  It never dawned to me to use it on my guns.

I'll get it out and try in on myLyman Great Plains Rifle.  It's not in bad shape at all, but it's been a wall hanger and neglected for a few years.  Just noticed the silver blade front sight is about a degree and a half off vertical.  No idea how that happened bot I'll shoot it a few times and see if I did it on purpose at some time or another.

Thanks for all the good responses.  I'll file them all away.

Deodorized naphtha, carnuba, microcrystaline wax, paraffin.

Check smaller hardware stores its still in the supply chain in some places.

Price on ebay and resellers has tripled though

9 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have a bottle of this that I have used on furniture with great results.  It never dawned to me to use it on my guns.

I'll get it out and try in on myLyman Great Plains Rifle.  It's not in bad shape at all, but it's been a wall hanger and neglected for a few years.  Just noticed the silver blade front sight is about a degree and a half off vertical.  No idea how that happened bot I'll shoot it a few times and see if I did it on purpose at some time or another.

Thanks for all the good responses.  I'll file them all away.

Let me know what you think.  If it is really dry put on a heavy coat & let it stand in the corner overnight then wipe it off in the morning with a soft cloth.  I did this 2-3 times with a couple of stocks & they came out very nice.

After I responded to this I decided I would be working on a type 56 SKS stock (anyone who has one knows the condition you start with (took alot of time to get the Cosmoline out).  I did a coat of Howard's last night & one this morning before the shower.  20+/- minutes later I wiped the stock off & think I'll leave it the way it is.  It has a very nice shine I'll stop as I don't want anyone to think it was refinished.

Took outback for more light on pic - this is 2 wipe-downs of Howard's.  There are still a few marks

on the stock but all in all I think it came out great.  FWIW - this is a straight un-moltested

Norinco mil-spec 56 paratrooper w/Sling.  I'ld say Howard's works very well.

image.png.472d2ef59f46da1b1ed08a9237506450.png

On 3/4/2023 at 8:05 AM, Charlie T Waite said:

Let me know what you think.  If it is really dry put on a heavy coat & let it stand in the corner overnight then wipe it off in the morning with a soft cloth.  I did this 2-3 times with a couple of stocks & they came out very nice.

After I responded to this I decided I would be working on a type 56 SKS stock (anyone who has one knows the condition you start with (took alot of time to get the Cosmoline out).  I did a coat of Howard's last night & one this morning before the shower.  20+/- minutes later I wiped the stock off & think I'll leave it the way it is.  It has a very nice shine I'll stop as I don't want anyone to think it was refinished.

Too late for this gunstock but Oven cleaner works wonders on wood soaked in cosmoline. I used it to clean the cosmoline from a CMP M1903. Let it warm in the sun for a few hours and then wiped off all I could with cheese cloth. Applied a good coating of over cleaner and hung it up in the afternoon sun for a couple hours. The scrubbed with a soft bristle brush. 

Next day I repeated the process. Removed enough of the cosmoline that it is no longer greasy but no so much as to dry out the wood.

Archived