SASS Wire Forum

Do you modify your gun(s) to make them look more "Authentic"?

Howdy Cowboys,

How many of you reshape the stock or refinish the metal of your guns for a more authentic look. It might be as simple as never polishing the brass on your '66 or it may be antiquing the metal and reshaping and refinishing the stock. I have totally antiqued and reshaped a Rossi shotgun to look old. Redid the stock on a Stoeger. In the case of shotguns, I don't think a beavertail forend belongs on a cowboy shotgun. I flitz polished my matte finished USFA Rodeos to an antique looking deep grey. 

What about the rest of you?

Rev. Chase

If the fantasy is, "...I'm in the west of the cowboy era..."  Then my guns are gonna look like new, or nearly so.   Otherwise, it's just silly.

Whatever someone wants to do works for me. A cowboys gun in 1880 wasn't a hundred years old. But they probably showed a lot more wear sooner then a 10 or 20 year old gun today that mostly lives in a safe. I've seen stocks that today come with a very modern high polished look that people refinsh to make them look older. They look good refinished.

Also the guns that competition shooters use a lot get a lot of natural wear, holster use, getting tossed onto tables, lots of rounds through them compared to people that hit the range a couple of times a year. A blued gun with real holster wear looks great to me.

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I bought a pair of "Antique Finish" Uberti revolvers about 18 years ago. They have a "seasoned" appearance.

Imis

I bought a pair of "antique" Uberti revolvers from Longshot Logan.  I'm not sure if they were "Antique Finish" from the factory or if Longshot did it.  He did post some "how to" instructions.

I couldn't stand the red-colored finish on one of my Uberti 1873s...I removed it chemically, sanded it smooth, and applied Birchwood Casey stock finish.  I like it better that the stock no longer looks like it was made of red plastic.

Condensed version of long story. Bought a Cimarron 1873 carbine in 44/40 from a gent on east coast for a great price.  He said "somebody stripped the bluing" etc. Believe I have a Cimarron Antique Finish that was a $150 upchange from the factory.  Havn't meet anyone familar with the rifle only people who have seen pistols this finish.   Looks great IMHO  moulted grey with rough non glossy stock.       GW

2 hours ago, Griff said:

If the fantasy is, "...I'm in the west of the cowboy era..."  Then my guns are gonna look like new, or nearly so.   Otherwise, it's just silly.

Exactly!!

Howdy (again) all,

Hey Grif and Rye, I should have been more specific or general with my term "authentic". It doesn't have to mean the the gun looks like it was found after being buried for a century. As I said, I don't like the look of a beavertail forend on a shotgun or for that matter having bulbous pistol grip or an amorphous shaped stock or hideous red plastic finish. I like the look of "honest wear" traditional shapes and finishes.

If someone wants to look like a dude who just left the general store with a brand new, shiny gun that's fine with me. I'd never insult anyone who shoots a gun that doesn't match my aesthetic. 

Rev. Chase

Rev, I agree, a modern 1894 Marlin looks out of place with its fat forend, as does a modern shotgun with its beavertail forend, slimming them down to the contours found on pieces of the era makes sense.  But, making a revolver/rifle/shotgun look 100 years old, when you're fantasizing being in the midst of the cowboy era is not "honest" wear.  My 1873 rifle would expect to have seen some wear & tear by the year 1899... but I'd have to have been an extremely poor caretaker to have it already look 100 years old!  So if I look askance at your worn out looking arms, understand why. 

19 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy (again) all,

Hey Grif and Rye, I should have been more specific or general with my term "authentic". It doesn't have to mean the the gun looks like it was found after being buried for a century. As I said, I don't like the look of a beavertail forend on a shotgun or for that matter having bulbous pistol grip or an amorphous shaped stock or hideous red plastic finish. I like the look of "honest wear" traditional shapes and finishes.

If someone wants to look like a dude who just left the general store with a brand new, shiny gun that's fine with me. I'd never insult anyone who shoots a gun that doesn't match my aesthetic. 

Rev. Chase

Gotcha! My guns have no exterior changes, they’re just like I bought em! 

48636CB4-FD6F-428E-BAA9-A74D7C8C049F.jpeg

I like natural wear on a gun, honest blue wear is a sign of character.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

9 hours ago, Jackalope said:

I couldn't stand the red-colored finish on one of my Uberti 1873s...I removed it chemically, sanded it smooth, and applied Birchwood Casey stock finish.  I like it better that the stock no longer looks like it was made of red plastic.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nope, honest use will show.....

This largely sums everything up for me.

Have I antiqued a gun to look old.....No.

Have I modified a gun for reason.....Yes.

Any Mods I have made were for:

- Function:  Shortened a few barrels for concealment. Reshaped a few grips and grip frames for the same reason.

- Looks:  Not to look old, but to look more period correct. ( quote #2 )

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what you think.

11 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

However anyone wants to play the game, within the rules, is fine with me.  Mine look as good as I can keep them looking.

Yes...my 1860 "sheriff" cap and ball, my Army open top-both removed the shiny finish by vinegar then "re-blueing" with brown and blue, my 1873 codymatic-couldnt stand the red wood stocks so redid them. The Baikal already looked pretty worn.

Personal preference...just like watching western movies---if I start one and see every character is clean with a shiny gun and looks to be outfitted with every stereotype piece of kit from wild west mercantile and historical emporium-I switch it(sure sign of a cheap production put together by no-bodys with every cliché there ever was)...old west was a dirty stinking nasty feces covered place. Where people wore the same thing for months, kept their guns in leather in the moist air-not $4000 climate controlled safes.

I have no one to leave my stuff to-that really wants it, so I dont care about re-sale value. I do, however, keep them cleaned after each shoot and functioning as well as I can, because I dont want to have to buy more. I'm happy.

Any modifications I do, or pay someone else to do, are 100% function oriented. I definitely don’t deliberately ‘age’ any of my guns. They get enough wear from being used every weekend. 

Having never lived in the 19th century I can’t say for certain how the gunslingers of that era treated the tools of their trade, but I know if my life depended upon my guns functioning correctly I would keep them as well maintained as I could, so I assume serious shooters did the same back then.

12 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

I guess I might have to wait for another 150 years for my guns to look authentic.:huh::lol:

There's nothing authentic about ROOOGERS!!!!:lol::P

I bought my 7.5" Colt SAA in 1978 because I liked the look of the Cavalry era pistol.  However, the factory black eagle grips bothered me since the Cavalry used a wood grip.
Many years later, my son and I made a one-piece wood grip for it to more look like a Cavalry era pistol. 
I'm very happy with it. :)

Oak.jpg

I have a USFA Rodeo with the plain black finish. I have seen these guns that people have removed the finish from and they do look a lot more like some of the old first generation Colts that you see. I've  considered doing the same but wouldn't do it to a gun that had decent bluing and/or case hardening.

i have a friend who "aged" his new ruger vaqueros and they look terrific , but in my case no i let mine age from use and abuse , i dont mind holster wear on the revolvers , i dont polish the brass on my 60 or 66 , ive not had to remove a high shine finish as all my rifles came with oiled stocks , and most of my shotguns have age wear on their finishes , i treat them like the tools they are , 

i would never say anything negative to those with shiny new guns , im certain new guns back then looked just like that , i do have other guns i keep new looking - just not for this venue 

No. I have no idea what the future might hold for me financially. Purposely aging a firearm is going to drop the value significantly to most people. If something happens that I need the funds, I want the maximum amount of money for them.

I have read one journal in which a cowboy told of a trail drive through Indian country. A group of Indians were shading them hoping for some free beef. The cowboys decided they should make it clear that they were ready for action by taking river sand and scrubbing their guns white to gleam in the sun. Sounds like a terrible maintenance decision.

As a side note, I have spoken to a few Winchester collectors and the "ugly" red walnut is how they really looked when new. Time and wear has dulled it on most originals. If you don't like it, buy a Miroku with the oil-stain finish.

Thought once about polishing the brass on the ‘66.  But then it wouldn’t match my powder burned hat so I didn’t.

Archived