SASS Wire Forum

Didja ever see The Missouri Breaks? Welll…

Utah Bob #35998

Remember the scene where Marlon Brando is sleeping peacefully and suddenly his eyes snap open wide with th a confused look,

And that’s because Jack Nicholson has just cut his throat?

Well that was my look at 4:40 this morning. 

“Something’s wrong” my brain was telling me. Then my ears told me, “The white noise sound machine isn’t sounding’. It’s quiet. Too quiet”.

That’s because the power was off.  A quick jump into long johns and a grab for the zillion candlepower Felix flashlight in the dark. 

Note to self: put the single cigar carrier and flashlight in different locations, idiot. 

After grabbing the correct tool. I checked the breaker box. It was fine. Called the electric company, got a busy signal.  Naturally.

So I layered up with the the thought that my planned waffles and bacon breakfast might not happen and went out to the wood box to get some more firewood. The skies cleared last night and the pre dawn sky was beautiful. 24º outside. Only about 2” of new snow since I last plowed yesterday I got a good fire going and called the electric company again. “There is an outage affecting Two Hundred and Forty Two customers. Crews have been dispatched. There is no estimate of time before power is restored” Meh

Set up my oil lamps and the weird, inflatable solar camping light I bought awhile ago, which works surprisingly well!

The water heater stil had hot water. I grabbed a jar of instant espresso that I use when I make Tirimisu. And tried that. Yuck.

So I heated up water in the fireplace old school style and brewed some Black Rifle. Had a bowl of shredded wheat. The power came back on about 7. Cheated death once again. 

Got that winter wonderland thing goin on right now. Maybe I’ll go sledding. ;) 

FC3AF23F-C9B9-45E1-A240-FF49FA495B6E.jpeg

CBD6CCBA-521F-4D76-BE1B-A0CEBFBFA93F.jpeg

BB515A99-4D74-440D-B4BB-754B93ECB951.jpeg

0409808E-210C-47C0-A002-4873828EB7F3.jpeg

ABC77EF7-731A-42B4-931B-0735050890DA.jpeg

F6B6F1F5-8BCF-4580-AFD1-5AEC605E27A3.jpeg

34C3A760-EEB2-4992-80E4-3E8BB1F5751C.jpeg

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Didja ever see The Missouri Breaks? Welll…
12 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

I wake up like that at least every 2 weeks  sometimes more 

Fortunately, power outages are very rare here.

And as for the movie you mention... A good one. Jack Nicholson v Marlon Brando with other excellent cast, scenery, humor, storyline... Enjoyable with some stuff ya jess don't see everyday. :D

Watched it last year, again.

You'll have to do like I did UB. (and I live in a City!, But they still can't keep the power on!)

These run on propane as well.

I've already had it going: once for only an hour or so, the second time almost 8 hours in a "LOCAL" outage.

IMG_3015.JPG

Losing power here is s a pain in the butt here for me. 

While I have a lot of things running on Natural Gas; furnace, hot water on demand unit, cook top, fireplace, clothes dryer, they all need electricity to fire up and work. I can't light them manually. 

After being without electricity for a few days last year, I figured we needed it to be comfortable and safe.

2 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Power outage doesn't have a thing to do with it

Huh? 

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Even a comparatively small gasoline or dual fuel generator will handle a lot of the basics.  I absolutely detest emergencies and have done everything I can to address those kinds of things.

I lived in Hurricane country for 50 years. Being without a fan in Florida’s humidity and some night lighting in the aftermath of a storm is not acceptable to me. I left my generator with the old house.

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Most of us got it, I believe.

Oh okay. I get it now. Brain fart.

1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Insomnia I wake up for no reason 

Fortunately my bathroom is a short distance from my bed.

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Losing power here is s a pain in the butt here for me. 

While I have a lot of things running on Natural Gas; furnace, hot water on demand unit, cook top, fireplace, clothes dryer, they all need electricity to fire up and work. I can't light them manually. 

After being without electricity for a few days last year, I figured we needed it to be comfortable and safe.

You can’t light your gas stove with a match when the electric igniter is out? Never heard of such a thing. Is there some kind of electric valve that shuts off the gas flow?

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You can’t light your gas stove with a match when the electric igniter is out? Never heard of such a thing. Is there some kind of electric valve that shuts off the gas flow?

Nope. I tried on the cook top a few times, over the years.

I even read the instruction book that came with it a  few times and queried the dealer.

No luck.

Everything in the place needs electricity to work.

That's why I finally bought the generator.  

17 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

You'll have to do like I did UB. (and I live in a City!, But they still can't keep the power on!)

These run on propane as well.

I've already had it going: once for only an hour or so, the second time almost 8 hours in a "LOCAL" outage.

IMG_3015.JPG

It’s nice isn’t it. Power goes off a second later you hear the generator fire up and the power is back on. Gives me peace of mind knowing my NY strips are safe in the freezer 

Archived