SASS Wire Forum

I wonder how they will enforce it

Alpo

https://www.foxla.com/news/pennsylvania-chick-fil-a-bans-kids-under-sixteen

A Chick-fil-A restaurant in Pennsylvania has said that kids 16 and under will not be allowed to eat in their restaurant without an adult. It goes on to say that these kids come in in groups, and they are loud and they are profane, and they leave trash around, and they take store decorations, and they are rude and obnoxious to employees.

It says they will still be allowed to come in and buy food, but they will have to take it to go.

They explained, in the article, about the rude and obnoxious to employees part. When the kids are allowedLOUD and vulgar, and the employees come over and tell them they've either got thatTO tone it down or leave, the kids cuss at them and then ignore them.

So when 15-year-old me and my six 15-year-old buddies come in, and we order food to go but then take it over to a table and sit down, and an employee comes over and tells us we are not allowed to eat inside and we must leave, what is to prevent us from cussing at them and flipping them off and then ignoring them?

Will they physically throw us out? Get bouncers? How in the world do they plan to enforce this?

When the call the cops, and the cop advises you that you have to leave now, and if you refuse, you're arrested.  And your name goes on a list with the Police that you have been given trespass warning at that location, and that if found again, you would be arrested without further warning.

Cops hate that stuff, but it's part of the job.

11 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

When the call the cops, and the cop advises you that you have to leave now, and if you refuse, you're arrested.  And your name goes on a list with the Police that you have been given trespass warning at that location, and that if found again, you would be arrested without further warning.

Had a kid busted while with his family after church because he came in one Friday night, got loud, was told to leave and thought threatening the manager on duty was a good idea.  LEOs were called, he was banned and the cops explained that they would arrest him if he set foot on the premises- even if he was just riding through as a passenger with someone else driving.

A couple weeks later, the same manager was working days on Sunday, spotted the kid in back of the line during the after church rush and called the cops. 

They snatched him up with his family at the table and half the congregation of the church next door looking on.

18 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

When the call the cops, and the cop advises you that you have to leave now, and if you refuse, you're arrested. 

Unfortunately, in this day and age of underfunded and undermanned Police Depts, the kids will probably be done with their lunch, on to the Mall, home for Supper and in bed for the night by the time that the cops could get around to this type of call. Unless the offending kids were actually destroying property and hurting people, I think that this would be a lower priority call.

5 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Unfortunately, in this day and age of underfunded and undermanned Police Depts, the kids will probably be done with their lunch, on to the Mall, home for Supper and in bed for the night by the time that the cops could get around to this type of call. Unless the offending kids were actually destroying property and hurting people, I think that this would be a lower priority call.

True, it's lower priority.  That said, it does get enforced.  I work for a college police department, and we currently have about 50 people who are prohibited by warning from coming on our campus.  If found there, they are arrested.  The municipality we share jurisdiction with also maintains a trespass list, that has several hundred people listed.  

And yes, we're undermanned, as is the municipal agency.  

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The last sentence in the article -- Limerick police also did not have much to say about the situation, but they did tell FOX 29's Hank Flynn that they will not be adding patrols for the weekends. -- kind of says to me that the police wouldn't be a whole lot interested.

I recall when I was 16 they opened a Walgreens drugstore nearby. The manager was a nasty old guy who woul fiollow teens around the store assuming they were going to steal. I only went there twice. :angry:

Local McDonalds and Burger King within walking distance of a High School. Kids coming at lunch got so bad other customers stopped coming. Cops didn't do anything. So they both close the indoor dining on weekdays 11 to 1. Revenue actually stayed the same as the drive thru got busier. And no messes to cleanup inside.

A local gas station changed ownership years ago.  The new owner drove by one night, and saw a group of teenage kids standing in the parking lot.  He pulled in, announced who he was and told the kids in a profanity laced diatribe that they needed to leave his property. They got in their cars and left.  The kids were not doing anything but talking, and most had just purchased gas or snacks before the owner arrived.

Those kids went home and told their parents and siblings, who shared the news with their friends and co workers.  The word was passed at the local high school.  In two weeks, the store went from staying busy all day,  to not having a local customer at any time.  The kid's boycott worked.  The owner gave up  and sold the business after about three months.  

The next owner was a lot more friendly to the local kid population.  They returned the favor by being loyal customers and not taking advantage of his friendship.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I recall when I was 16 they opened a Walgreens drugstore nearby. The manager was a nasty old guy who woul fiollow teens around the store assuming they were going to steal. I only went there twice. :angry:

I was ornery when 16.  Would've gone there all the time to play follow the leader up and down every aisle just to get a pack of gum by the register.

3 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

True, it's lower priority.  That said, it does get enforced.  I work for a college police department, and we currently have about 50 people who are prohibited by warning from coming on our campus. 

And yes, we're undermanned, as is the municipal agency.  

I can't see a city sized P.D. really getting around to it. As an example, here in Tucson, if you are in a car accident, if nobody is injured and both vehicles are drivable, they will not send an Officer to the scene, the dispatcher will tell you to exchange insurance information and go about your day. If your house is broken into or your car stolen, they will only take a report over the phone.  

I'm not chastising the Officers, that's just the way it is now.

52 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I can't see a city sized P.D. really getting around to it. As an example, here in Tucson, if you are in a car accident, if nobody is injured and both vehicles are drivable, they will not send an Officer to the scene, the dispatcher will tell you to exchange insurance information and go about your day. If your house is broken into or your car stolen, they will only take a report over the phone.  

I'm not chastising the Officers, that's just the way it is now.

It's not that way in the area I work.  The only time we don't do crash reports is when there is no injury, and the roads were officially closed.  We prioritize calls, but we respond to them as we can, and it's rare for a shift to be so busy that we are not able to answer all the calls, eventually.  Our state law in Alabama mandates crash reports if there is over $250 worth of damage, if there is a injury, or if there is a death as a direct result of the crash.  I'm sure Tucson is quite a bit bigger, the city I work in is about 40,000 population, and the county is about 100,000.  

2 hours ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

But will they still hire 16 year old kids to work there? 

Different breed of cat -willing to work.

31 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I'm sure Tucson is quite a bit bigger, the city I work in is about 40,000 population, and the county is about 100,000.  

That's kind of my point. It the incident we are discussing were to take place in your jurisdiction, your Dept. could handle it. In Tucson, and I'm presuming any big city, they couldn't or wouldn't.

A number of Malls have restricted minors from being in the mall unaccompanied by a parent or guardian.   Management figured out that middle aged women with credit cards don't like to go to malls with packs of teenagers roaming around.  

I'm reminded of my late teens, when I was an under-funded student at San Francisco State College.  An outdoorsy type, I enjoyed spending free time visiting local shops, like the San Francisco Gun Exchange, Val's Guns in North Beach, F. Bob Chow's in the Mission District, and other local emporiums.  Even though I was a typically scruffy-looking (haircuts weren't cheap!), I was always greeted with a smile, often by name, and spent many hours in friendly discussions with proprietors.  And occasionally, if I happened to be flush, I'd actually buy something! 

And then there was Abercrombie & Fitch.  Not the Abercrombie & Fitch of today, the clothiers of the woke generation; rather, the Abercrombie & Fitch of yore.  Noted New York City based upper-crust outfitters known for catering to clients like Teddy Roosevelt, Admiral Richard Byrd, Ernest Hemingway, and others of their ilk.  But they had a San Francisco store, and they sold some really cool stuff.  Expensive, but cool.  And from time to time, either alone or with a buddy, I'd make my way downtown to wander the displays and marvel at their products.  And sometimes we'd make small purchases, like carefully selected flies or something equally esoteric.

Which would usually surprise the heck out of the burly "house dick" who'd been not-so-covertly shadowing us from the moment we walked in.  

We may have been scruffy and we may have been untidy, but we always behaved ourselves.  :rolleyes:

However!

When I was in my early 30's (and much more established), I was with a buddy in the S. F. "Eddie Bauer, Expedition Outfitters" store when said buddy was unceremoniously and most emphatically frog-marched to the front door and physically ejected, to the accompaniment of some pretty strong verbal chastisements.  His crime?  A rather strait-laced, mature gentleman behind a counter overheard John make a comment about how much fun it would be to streak the store while wearing a Richard Nixon mask.  :lol:

When the red-faced offended staffer turned to me, I just put up my hands and declared "Hey!  I voted for him!"  His demeanor softened, he smiled, then asked if he could be of assistance - at which point I asked to see a particular shotgun, and all was good.  ^_^  

A&F in NYC was amazing in the late '60's.  I got my Randall #1 there new for $45.  One time when a friend was home on leave from Viet Nam, we went in and bought long guns and ammunition, walked out onto the street,  Took the subway to the commuter train out of the city.  No one blinked an eye.  Dad sent me over one time to get myself a gift, probably birthday.  I picked a beautiful cable knit sweater, because he had an account, could charge it with no I.D. Bygone days.

If I Owned that chick-fil-A store and had that problem with kids I might try the solution the army and marines use, post a picture of the troublemakers with a big caption explaining they are the reason all kids are banned without mommy and daddy along, kids can get pretty dam mean to each other and they might decide to smarten up the offenders, it sure as hell worked on us in the service

Archived