SASS Wire Forum

Headed to Tucson this weekend for a couple of days.  First time outta California in a bunch o' years.

Anyone from there?  Or familiar with the place?  Recommended good places to eat?  :)

Or "toy stores" where one might find good stuff we can't buy in (or bring home to) california?  Just to look, of course!   :rolleyes:       

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Come to Springfield MO and see some great 'toy' stores with no waiting period. 

Enh... the Tucson Festival of Books and the sister I'm going to visit aren't in Missouri....  :rolleyes:

Otherwise, a most capital suggestion!  ^_^

13 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Anyone from there?  Or familiar with the place?  Recommended good places to eat?  :)

Or "toy stores" where one might find good stuff we can't buy in (or bring home to) california?  Just to look, of course!   :rolleyes:       

For good, family made Mexican food, Cappy's Breakfast Cafe is great. Good Mexican OR basic American breakfast food. They're on Prince Rd. East of I-10. KG's Westside Cafe is another great place to eat. Grant Rd. West of I-10. 

Both these are Breakfast/ Lunch places, open at 6:00 A.M., close at 2:00 P.M. 

For all you can eat, Golden Corral on Thornydale, between Ina Rd. and Orange Grove, again East of I-10. 

My favorite Gun Shop is Murphys at Country Club and Ft. Lowell. 

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Enh... the Tucson Festival of Books and the sister I'm going to visit aren't in Missouri....  :rolleyes:

Otherwise, a most capital suggestion!  ^_^

You could swing up here on your way home and we might be able to find a toy store that you could enjoy.  They don't call Prescott "Gun City USA" for nothing and I'm only about fifteen minutes fro the courthouse plaza and few dozen places to get good food for less than  a mortgage payment.

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Headed to Tucson this weekend for a couple of days.  First time outta California in a bunch o' years.

Im thinking most of the best folks to answer you are busy at EoT right now, but...

In Tucson - we (the Creeker crew) enjoy going to "Trail Dust Town"; a touristy "Old West" store grouping with souvenir stores, gold panning, shooting arcade, candy store, mini railroad, bars and restaurants.

We really enjoy dinner at Pinnacle Peak steakhouse and then attend the Wild West Stunt show by the Dragoon Players.

They also have a cool western history museum on site.

The Tuscon Air Museum is awfully cool.

Apparently Old Tucson Studios have reopened as well - haven't been there since the reopen - but always enjoyed it before.

You also have some fun things with the Rooster Cogburn Alpaca farm.

Visit "The Thing" roadside attraction and "What If" museum.

Additionally you are only a hop and skip from historical Tombstone, Bisbee (art enclave and cool downtown - love the Copper Queen mine tour) and Kartchner Caverns.

Im sure there are lots more suggestions from the Tucson locals forthcoming - but from our travels thru the area - we have enjoyed the above.

You'll be at the U of A, so not far from the best Mexican food north of the border.

El Charro

Guillermos Double L

El Guero Canelo

BK's

For steaks.

Daisy Mae's

El Corral

Be sure to head down to Thunderstick Trading Co. and say hi to Pike Coyle and Quicksand.

16 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Im thinking most of the best folks to answer you are busy at EoT right now, but...

In Tucson - we (the Creeker crew) enjoy going to "Trail Dust Town"; a touristy "Old West" store grouping with souvenir stores, gold panning, shooting arcade, candy store, mini railroad, bars and restaurants.

We really enjoy dinner at Pinnacle Peak steakhouse and then attend the Wild West Stunt show by the Dragoon Players.

They also have a cool western history museum on site.

The Tuscon Air Museum is awfully cool.

Apparently Old Tucson Studios have reopened as well - haven't been there since the reopen - but always enjoyed it before.

You also have some fun things with the Rooster Cogburn Alpaca farm.

Visit "The Thing" roadside attraction and "What If" museum.

Additionally you are only a hop and skip from historical Tombstone, Bisbee (art enclave and cool downtown - love the Copper Queen mine tour) and Kartchner Caverns.

Im sure there are lots more suggestions from the Tucson locals forthcoming - but from our travels thru the area - we have enjoyed the above.

23 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

If you are going with your wife then I would also recommend TUBAC!  It is a small “town” of various craft shops and stores. Would visit with my wife every time we visited my folks in Green Valley. One time in the bookstore I met the Don of the author of The Shootist. Had a nice conversation ought his book and had him sign it. Another time bought some great jewelry for my wife, enjoy the mountains!

23 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You could swing up here on your way home and we might be able to find a toy store that you could enjoy.  They don't call Prescott "Gun City USA" for nothing and I'm only about fifteen minutes fro the courthouse plaza and few dozen places to get good food for less than  a mortgage payment.

Ohhh, that sounds like a winner!  

Gonna have to do it on another trip, though.  From Tucson, headed to Laguna Hills in SoCal to see Helen Brimstone's sister.  She's not doing well; this might be their last visit.  

Mebbe a side trip on a later journey to Albuquerque?  Been a long time since our last GLB gathering and trip to the Autry Museum.  ^_^  

Archived