SASS Wire Forum

Spurs with Lacers? Any Classic Cowboy shooters wearing Lacers?

So I asked the other day about wearing Lacers in the Classic Cowboy category, and was told Lacers are okay so long as no lugs.

But before I go and buy a pair, I have another question:  Do very many Classic Cowboy shooters wear Lacers?  

And if you do wear Lacers, do you wear spurs with them?  Do spurs seem to work okay with them?  I currently wear spurs with my costuming for CC and would like to continue to do so.

Let me hear what a lot of you Classic Cowboy shooters do for boots?

Thanks

Mac

If the heel has a spur ledge, you'll have no issues wearing spurs. If the heel of the boot doesn't have a ledge for the spurs to rest on they'll cause you problems dragging the ground unless you modify the boots to support the spurs. I've know a few people that put two drywall nails into the heel of their boots so the spur has someting to rest on.

aid9987337-v4-728px-Put-Spurs-on-Boots-Step-1.jpg.jpeg.900c5539ccefda60039db46f1c906cec.jpeg

The spur ledge is the protruding part of the boot heel that creates a small shelf where the spur heel band will rest.[1]

The spur ledge is a very slight ledge, just large enough so that the heel band doesn’t slip down the boot.

How spurs are supposed to sit.

Dennis-Moreland-Tack.jpg.df1a70df040044834012761234d77cb7.jpg

What happens without a spur ledge

SpurLedgeNone001.webp.ca4c714b0bdf3008829aff7048922252.webp

I have three pairs of lacers but only one pair has a spur heel. I have worn spurs on those, but I have never worn lacers shooting Classic Cowboy

As a CC shooter, I recommend not wearing spurs. While I love the jingle and the look of them, they are 100% a trip hazard unless they are very small. The last thing I need to to be worrying about tripping as I turn and move through a stage. If I wore them everyday in every situation it would be different, but I don't.

1 hour ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Spurs are not required in CC if you meet the 5 requirements without them.

yeah, I realize spurs aren’t required, but I’ve got a really cool looking pair that I like wearing. I like the costuming aspect of CC and spurs just seem fun. 

41 minutes ago, Cholla said:

As a CC shooter, I recommend not wearing spurs. While I love the jingle and the look of them, they are 100% a trip hazard unless they are very small. The last thing I need to to be worrying about tripping as I turn and move through a stage. If I wore them everyday in every situation it would be different, but I don't.

I’ve worn spurs with my attire since starting shooting CC a year and a half ago. Never had problems during a stage, though I’m not super-fast so probably why…hahaha

I probably won’t wind up going with lacers. Doesn’t really seem terribly thematic with CC. 

thanks for all the feedback everyone!!!

I've been wearing large rowel spurs for 10+ years... never a problem. I love 'em. Usually with boots, sometimes with my Packers. Once you start it's hard to not wear 'em. :D

I have never worn lacers in CAS but in the real world I have worn lacers on pack trips with spurs.  As long as there is a bit of a heel shelf and the spur fits the boot properly, there isn't a problem........

Rustler was wearing lace ups with spurs at our ROII class on Tuesday, and pointed out that they were CC legal. Not sure what brand boots they were, or what sort of spur shelf they had.

I do not shoot CC, but I do wear spurs with my lacers, chaps, scarves, Knife, cuffs and garters shoot 45colt, just don't want to go back to the hammered double :P

Never had a problem with either my Ariat or Justin lacers. 

I shoot Classic and do wear spurs with my lacers sometimes.  There's no spur shelf on the heels and I've never had a problem.  I do wear the spurs strapped on tightly and also have a chain that goes under the boot, in front of the heel to keep them fitting snug.  However, I don't wear spurs when there are steps.  Going up them is not a problem but I always worry about going down them.

8 hours ago, Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966 said:

I do not shoot CC, but I do wear spurs with my lacers, chaps, scarves, Knife, cuffs and garters shoot 45colt, just don't want to go back to the hammered double :P

Well then it's time to get you an 1887 and shoot some classic. :rolleyes:  :P

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Horseshoe Nails would really be period correct. 

But if you have a screw or nail, you can’t loosen the strap to the “sidewalk notch” so your rowels make sounds as you walk!

I wore high top lace up packer boots with spurs the first few years that I shot Classic. Been wearing spurs off and on since my early 20’s and haven’t tripped over them yet. The first time we shot at Tombstone the weekend before Winter Range I got out of the pickup back at the motel wearing my spurs. A fellow shooter who was staying at the same motel made the comment that I was awful brave driving with my spurs on. My reply was that the first time I drove with my spurs on was hauling a stock truck load of saddle horses down out of the mountains 40 years ago so the pickup was a piece of cake. He and his parts seemed to be impressed... :D

Just remember Pards,

DON'T SQUAT WHEN YOUR WEAR'IN SPURS!

Archived