SASS Wire Forum

Menu and prices in 1960s McDonalds

I remember those days and the similar prices at Burger Chef. Always liked Burger Chef double cheeseburgers much better than McD's.

That was when burgers were made from real beef and french fries were actual potatoes. Burger Chef is long gone and nothing that McD's serves is really food.

Actually the price of the hamburger, when adjusted for inflation, hasn't really gone up that much.

Link: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

I used 1965 as a date so $0.15 when adjusted for inflation is $1.42

This link https://www.fastfoodprice.com/menu/mcdonalds-prices/#Burgers has the price at $1.59.  Granted that will vary some by location.

last time I went to McDonalds a hamburger, fries and coke was $11 + wont be doing that again for a meal that wasent even real food

Used to go to Tick Tock Root Beer or A&T Sandwich Shop, both on the way home for Junior High and later High school, or we'd go the other direction to The Spudnut Shop.  All three were less than McD's and had a better selection to boot.  I don't even remember just where McD was and when A&W moved in it pretty much ran the others out.

And then I discovered Frederico's Pizza up by the college (I grew up in an partly Italian family and never tasted pizza into I was 20) and my whole world changed.

ya , and they tasted better back then too , before they hit that stupid million mark , there are a lot of choices today - this is not the one i choose 

15 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Kinda relates to the 100.00 Pizzas.

1611343616_1960smenuprices.jpg.a19020e561424bc129db559008486d74.jpg

I worked at McDonalds for a couple months in the summer in high school 1964 and those were prices alright! 

Long about 1963 I was at a birthday party. And party favors were coupons good for an All American.

At that time, an All American was a hamburger, french fries, and a triple thick shake. And an All American cost 50 cents.

But looking at the prices on that menu, ordering the items separately only totals up to 45 cents.

This makes me think that that menu is from earlier than 1960.

Mcdonald's, as a walk-in hamburger stand, had been around since 1948. I could easily see that as a menu from 1950. Especially since they referred to it as a drive-in, which is what it started as in 1940.

I remember when MC Donald first opened in near of my hometown.  That was in 1991. Until then, MC D & Co was only available in the big cities like Munich.  there were cheeseburgers for 1 D-Mark (about 50 US cents today).  I have 20!  Ordered and 18!!!!!  eaten.  I brought the last two home to my little brother, who was very happy.  I didn't feel well after 18 cheeseburgers, believe me.

I remember our local MC Donalds back in the 50's as it was our local hangout as teenagers. It was in Downey California and was the 3 one built. It is the oldest one still in operation and still has the original building and sign. In the 80's the MC Donald Corporation wanted to tear it down and build a new one. My wife was Mayor and the City Council made it a historic landmark to keep it in business with the same look. Still serving Big Mac today!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Long about 1963 I was at a birthday party. And party favors were coupons good for an All American.

At that time, an All American was a hamburger, french fries, and a triple thick shake. And an All American cost 50 cents.

But looking at the prices on that menu, ordering the items separately only totals up to 45 cents.

This makes me think that that menu is from earlier than 1960.

Mcdonald's, as a walk-in hamburger stand, had been around since 1948. I could easily see that as a menu from 1950. Especially since they referred to it as a drive-in, which is what it started as in 1940.

That's the prices in 1962. I worked there in the evenings. Me and buddies would go to the race tracks Friday night and load up on 15cents hamburgers, and french fried and a milk shake afterwards. Sunday's the gal I was dating at the time liked their cheeseburgers which were higher and movie tickets were 35 cents.

In all honesty, can't remember if sales taxes were added, maybe that was the differences.

Archived