SASS Wire Forum

Sierra Snow

Subdeacon Joe

20 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The Sierra's here are over 200% of average snowfall. The really low lakes are filling up and the snow melt hasn't started yet!

Greta is confused...........

Just seen a pic of a CHP standing next to a snow bank arm extended upwards, and the bank was 3 times his height 

22 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The Sierra's here are over 200% of average snowfall. The really low lakes are filling up and the snow melt hasn't started yet!

Greta is confused...........

Gavin Nuisance is confused too.  He's still insisting we are in a drought.  It's a "drought" alright -- a logic and sensibility  drought.   But the media outlets still convince the gullible idiots to vote for these morons.  

I have a good friend in the San Bernadinos who's buried in but good. Carport collapsed, deck damaged, cars totally invisible under snow. He and his wife are well-prepared people, though, with food and fuel for a month if necessary.

He said the market they've shopped at for years down in the village has suffered total roof collapse and thus total loss. They've been there for decades.

He's seen many a heavy snow year, but nothing like this.

The neighbors up within a few miles of my timber ranch were seriously snowed in and without power for six days.  Some had horses and cattle standing out in 9 feet of snow, without access to food.  They had stove wood, but most could not dig out the shelters where it was kept.  Without electricity,  water pumps and propane furnaces were useless.   The neighbors all have free access to my Bobcat track loaders and other equipment, but they had no way to dig the machinery out or find implements under the snow. 

Yesterday, they pooled resources and hired a local logger to clear the 1.5-mile gravel access road and their individual driveways, and open livestock escape access with a D7 and two big front-end loaders.  All 16 families then evacuated, driving out on the heels of the dozer in their 4wd vehicles, pulling livestock trailers.   Everyone made it out OK, but it could be weeks before they can re-enter.   

This was at the 5,000 foot elevation in the Sierras east of Fresno.

I am concerned how many families may be silently in need of assistance, buried in deep snow at remote, higher elevation locations.  A friend lives full-time at Dinkey Creek (7,000' elev).  He texted me a photo of his two story log house with only the weather vein at the top above snow -- he estimated 28' snow depth!

It is the heaviest Sierra snow I've ever seen in 73 years living here.  We can only pray that nobody is stranded and in trouble.  

The San Joaquin Valley is also being hit hard by rain and occasional snow and hail flurries.   The culvert crossing we use to get access across Dry Creek to our Kings River Regulators cowboy range was overtopped and impassable until today.  The attached photo was taken yesterday morning. 

Screenshot_20230301_123554_Messages.thumb.jpg.0a40f12c77375b777c5ebb982f5fe2df.jpg

On 3/2/2023 at 3:26 AM, watab kid said:

donnar party ? 

When I lived in CA I used to chukar hunt with a guy that was a descendant of a Donnar party survivor. Everyone always said you don’t want to get stuck in a snowstorm with Gorge 

We are suppose  to get another round of storms next week, so they will close Donner for a couple days.

just watching all the storms build and move across the country recently makes me understand just how fortunate we are these days with our forecasting [even if i think they often blow the predictions out of proportion] we do get advanced warnings most of the time and can prepare for whats coming , 

im still sick of winter for this year , the recent 30+ degree temps here are giving false hope for early spring i fear , 

Archived