SASS Wire Forum

Reloading safety

Buckshot Bob

Copied from FB , since it’s a lever gun I think it applies here 

Randy Evans on 'reloading 101
Anybody ever wondered what an exploding 45-70 marlin guide gun will do to a person's hand. 
 All my measurements and charges were correct. But I forget forgot to crimp the bullet. This caused the bullet to seat deeper and deeper with every shot which ultimately seated the bullet to a point were the pressures were dangerously high causing the pressure to build before the bullet could leave the barrel.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Owwwwwwe! Looks like he knows what went wrong. That’s good. It’s too bad he didn’t catch this before that disaster. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Owwwwwwe! Looks like he knows what went wrong. That’s good. It’s too bad he didn’t catch this before that disaster. 

I at least attempt to learn from other people’s pain, 45/70 isn’t generally a cartridge people associate with high pressure. There’s lots of ways to screw up reloading. This is just one of the many. Looks like he’s going to be ok , not missing any fingers 

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I at least attempt to learn from other people’s pain, 45/70 isn’t generally a cartridge people associate with high pressure. There’s lots of ways to screw up reloading. This is just one of the many. Looks like he’s going to be ok , not missing any fingers 

I agree. I am a real stickler for double checking everything when reloading and I am guilty of probably more crimp than is necessary. 

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I agree. I am a real stickler for double checking everything when reloading and I am guilty of probably more crimp than is necessary. 

I’m pretty attentive when I reload , but every time I see something like this I think, there before the grace of God go I . Everyone has a lapse in awareness occasionally and some just simply don’t know any better. 

That's gonna leave a mark and require new undies.

Things like this remind me why there is no radio, phone, tv, internet, wife, kids, dogs or any other type interruptions while I'm reloading...close the door...just me and the task at hand, no pun intended.

After loading, all rounds visually checked, put into 20, 50 or 100 round boxes and marked with a sharpie. Certain types of ammo are run through go/no-go gauges.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

That would have smarted

Bettin it still does. Big ouchie there.

i feel really bad for the injury , i never like seeing someone in a suffering situation ,i think most of us here will join me in that sentiment , hope healing is quick , 

we need to be cognizant of all of the ramifications of reloading , its not for everyone and those that ignore the restraints of the activity will appreciate this thread , wont enjoy it , those that push the parameters will suffer the consequences , we all have to pay attention all the time 

God Bless 

I remember when Undertaker double loaded a 12" 1st gen SAA .45Colt.  He said he was loading 3.6 grains of Unique and went to answer the phone, came back and  added 3.6 more.

I think he salvaged the grips.  The rest hung above the cash register at The Flintlock at Hobby City.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I remember when Undertaker double loaded a 12" 1st gen SAA .45Colt.  He said he was loading 3.6 grains of Unique and went to answer the phone, came back and  added 3.6 more.

I think he salvaged the grips.  The rest hung above the cash register at The Flintlock at Hobby City.

Was that of pre smokeless powder vintage? Otherwise shouldn't be a problem.

Archived