SASS Wire Forum

Is Taylor tuning worth it?

I could be wrong, but the only difference I can tell between standard and "tuned" is a reduced power spring kit.  Not a true action job in the context of SASS shooting.  

Most aftermarket spring kits will cost about $18 and most SASS shooters have enough skill to swap out springs in a few minutes on their kitchen table.  

IMHO regardless of importer the Pietta pistols are getting really nice and will serve most shooters just fine right out of the box.  

If the Taylor tuning includes removal of the retractable firing pin assembly and replacing it with a real hammer, yes; pretty sure it doesn’t. otherwise get Piettas or better yet find some Ruger Vaqueros.

1 hour ago, July Smith said:

"IIMHO regardless of importer the Pietta pistols are getting really nice and will serve most shooters just fine right out of the box." 

The nicest pistols I ever bought right out of the box with light springs and smooth actions. You can go straight to a match with no tuning required.

Lucky :D

48 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You DO NOT want the retractable firing pin version at all:excl:

I am not arguing at all but what is the issue? Im still learning the single action stuff as I typically shoot 1911s and I am new to SASS. 

30 minutes ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

I am not arguing at all but what is the issue? Im still learning the single action stuff as I typically shoot 1911s and I am new to SASS. 

The issue is the retracting firing pin "safety" has been a known unreliable point that can cause some light strikes/misfires.  From Uberti's point of view (or at least from their attorney's point of view) this makes the gun safer.  From a SASS shooters stand point this is simply an unneeded and unused safety that will at the very best not cause an issue.    

34 minutes ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

Thank you for the heads up! I Was 100% unaware of this. 

Look up "Uberti retractable firing pin" on youtube.  Uberti  has stopped the production of SAAs with the traditional fixed firing pin on the hammer.  There have been a number of posts here on the SASS Wire, as well as other sites, which have reported that the new system does not lend itself the the type of shooting we do. VTI Gun Parts in Connecticut sells parts to convert hammer to the traditional system.  The Pietta revolvers continue with the traditional ignition system.  Keep in mind that Taylor tuning is not meant to turn a revolver into a "race gun".  It only lightens the main spring, at least on mine.  

6 hours ago, Copper Sean O Driscoll said:

Documented history of failure to fire

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

...Uberti  has stopped the production of SAAs with the traditional fixed firing pin on the hammer.  There have been a number of posts here on the SASS Wire, as well as other sites, which have reported that the new system does not lend itself the the type of shooting we do. VTI Gun Parts in Connecticut sells parts to convert hammer to the traditional system.  ...

The BP frame ("Old Model") Uberti Model P's from Cimarron still have the traditional fixed firing pin hammer, but those are the only ones.  As for the Ubertis with the retractable firing pin,  Taylors sells a traditional style of replacement hammer that is considerably less expensive than the ones from VTI.  Also, the retractable FP hammers can be modified so they don't retract, as mentioned by Long Hunter.

21 minutes ago, Rawhide Rio said:

I have been shooting mine since Taylors came out with them without 1 single failure to fire.

They are not all "bad".  Some people, maybe most, have no problems.  But there have been enough reports of issues that it is something to definitely consider.

59 minutes ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Abilene,

They can be fitted to function as intended without removing the safety. 

Gotcha!  So that is another option, thanks.

52 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

They are not all "bad".  Some people, maybe most, have no problems.  But there have been enough reports of issues that it is something to definitely consider.

Gotcha!  So that is another option, thanks.

?? What  'cha mean, Abilene?

I have one with the retractable firing pin and I’ve got around 400 rounds through it not one problem and I have Wolff reduced power mainspring and a trigger return spring. 

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have one with the retractable firing pin and I’ve got around 400 rounds through it not one problem and I have Wolff reduced power mainspring and a trigger return spring. 

That means you're not shooting fast enough.:P:lol:

On 3/2/2023 at 5:23 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yah! Me too!! Except my reduced power mainspring is Lee's  Gunsmithing.  Matter of fact, that's it that I am holding in my avatar.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a brand new shiney Taylors Cattleman with new version of retractable firing pin.  Initially had so issues with failure to fire.  Was going to send back to Taylors for repair.  On a whim thoroughly cleaned gun, sprayed action cleaner into firing pin area.  Followed up with a good deal of oil.  No failure to fires since.  2 or 300 rounds thru gun.  When I bought the original cattleman, Taylors only had one, an older model in desired caliber popped up on the wire for a good price bought it.  It is the first iteration of retractable firing pin with slots in hammer etc.  Despite having much lighter springs given it is so much easier to cock, it has performed flawlessly.  From my saddle not worth $100 per gun to convert back to old hammers.

Archived