SASS Wire Forum

What's your reloading failure rate?

Nostrum Damus SASS #110702

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Time is money. Between 12 gauge, 38 special and 32 H&R mag I already spend a couple of hours every week reloading. Slowing down isn’t an option for me.

I certainly understand your need for speed. Both at the reloading bench and the firing line. I'm tired and retired and the only shooter in my rancher. I don't mind being slow reloading or shooting and I'm not AIMING to get faster. Pun intended. 

Extremely low......

I check the brass before I tumble and after its clean.  I check the primer cup assembly depth and clean it on the Dillon on a regular basis.  Once the rounds are loaded I recheck them every 50 rounds once they are boxed for high primers.  Lastly, when loading I visually check them again for defects or anomalies.    It is well worth the extra time.

What’s your reloading failure rate or do you mean your quality control failures?

My reloading failure rate (to date) is two dead primers in 23 years.

Quality control failures have been a few high primers that were discovered at the loading table.

20 hours ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

Key to perfection is slow down!

This August will mark my seventy year of slowing down.  When does this “perfection” thing kick in?  Or is it a low setting on a Pacemaker? 

This July marks 50 years of the wife’s failure to make me perfect so I know that ain’t an option.

I've been shooting cowboy matches since 2013.  I've had two squibs, both from the same batch, several years ago.  I was using ultrasonic cleaning back then, and I suspect wet brass.  Could have been inattention, nobody's perfect.  But no problems since then.

Regarding loose bullets, I find cases with R-P headstamps hold bullets loosely.  I reserve rounds loaded with these cases for revolvers or a single shot rifle.  I don’t get many rounds lacking primers since I can feel when a primer is missing.  A kinetic bullet puller is a reloader’s friend.  There are often rounds that need to be dismantled and  components salvaged.

Ah yes, squibs.  That reminds me.  Before I got my 550, I loaded everything on a Lee Turret.  I started getting some squibs in my .38's.  About one per match for a few weeks.  I took apart the Lee Auto-disk powder measure and noticed that the little orifice at the bottom that feeds powder into the disk (or adjustable charge bar) was caked around its circumference with graphite or some such.  I had never cleaned nor inspected that spot before.  I had loaded some thousands of rounds with Unique prior to that.  Unfortunately, I had about 700 or 800 rounds already loaded when discovered this.  So I relegated them to practice.   A couple of boxes of 100 had no squibs during practice, while another had 7 or 8 :(  Since I don't practice much I still have some of them, just need to be sure I have a squib rod handy.

Archived