SASS Wire Forum

Magnum Lead Shot?

Bret Hawke, SASS #63567

I've been getting closer to acquiring the components for reloading shotshells...certainly a challenge these days.

For the shot, I'm leaning towards #7.5 or #8, but would love to hear your preferences as well.

My local provider has 25 pound bags listed as Magnum Lead Shot.

For SASS purposes, is Magnum Lead Shot what most use?

I tried a number of variations of searching for Magnum Lead Shot, but did not get an adequate answer.

Thanks!

MAGNUM lead shot is a meaningless term used for advertising purpose.  There is no definition.  Shot quality is measured by antimony content.  For SASS any lead shot is fine.

I've had the impression that Magnum is harder than Cold. But that may be all hype as Larsen indicated.

I use 6 or 7, I prefer a little larger shot because I find my shells don’t always close perfect and 7.5 and 8 will dribble out the ends if the folds are not perfect, no problem with a SxS but I hate the thought of 3 or 4 loose bb’s rolling around inside a 97, of course I tend to load my hulls more than once or twice for practice and that doesn’t help

Right now, any shot you can find to reload with will probably be JUST fine. 

Magnum shot should be higher than 3% antimony.    Unless marketing folks got ahold of the bagging machine.

Chilled shot would be lower than 3%, down to 1%, antimony.

Reclaimed may be anything, including a few fine rocks.

Any of it knocks down steel at 10 yards if you point at the target!  GJ

Mag shot is geared more towards trap and skeet shooters, claiming it holds pattern at longer distances than chilled shot does but at this point you get whatever shot you can get your hands on!

all of mine have been reloaded with reclaimed shot from the local trap range , you dont need to pay the premium prices for the targets we shoot , but if you want to go for it ,but remember  the wad would knock it down if your on target at our distances 

Shot has been available for me recently.  My ABQ Sportsman’s Warehouse was well stocked as I left for EOT.  Shooting Fox is delivering shot to EOT.  Thunderbird Cartridge just SW of Phoenix was bagging shot from Peru when I picked up an order Monday.

The Ballistic Products web site has a description of Magnum and Chilled shot. Reference:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Magnum-Chilled-Lead-Shot/products/68/

In summary, according to Ballistic Products:

- Chilled Lead Shot is softer - contains approximately 2% antimony.

- Magnum Lead Shot is harder - generally contains approximately 4-6% antimony

I have always used chilled shot for cowboy shooting. If I’m shooting at a steel plate, not too far away, I feel safer using the softer shot. But that’s based on gut feel and not any known facts about how magnum shot would react when hitting the steel plate.

Archived