SASS Wire Forum

New S&W M&P FPC - folding pistol caliber carbine

Pat Riot

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I just received news of this in an email. 
If I had M&P pistols I would be all over this one. 
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/first-look-smith-wesson-m-p-fpc-pistol-caliber-carbine/

816C9FC9-A989-4B0F-B678-5045EB2C44B5.gif.979c192fc1b436a0e16c2ea511be9983.gif

Not a bad price at $659!!

Why did I look at this post?

Thanks, just thanks...she's starting to realize that my truck really doesn't have that much room for the "one's that have been in the truck for a while" routine.

I would really like one of these. If wasn’t fully invested in Glocks and my Ruger PC Carbine I would definitely grab one of these.
Then of course, I would need to by S&W mags and since I have those mags I may as well buy an S&W M&P 9 pistol or two, but then I would need new holsters for those pistols and I am sure I would have to update the sights on those pistols and I would want an optic for the carbine…

No, I will just stick with what I have. 

1 minute ago, sassnetguy50 said:

$599 retail, just got the email.

I got the price from the article. Good to know It’s going down.

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Keltech makes one that folds but uses glock

magazines .  It’s a little cheaper.  

You can mount a scope or optics on the S&W and still have the ability to fold it. You wouldn’t have that option with the Kel Tek Sub 2000. 

31 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You can mount a scope or optics on the S&W and still have the ability to fold it. You wouldn’t have that option with the Kel Tek Sub 2000. 

That is true, not an optic fan so didn’t think about that.   I hate relying on batteries.

23 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

That is true, not an optic fan so didn’t think about that.   I hate relying on batteries.

I do understand. I used to stick only to iron sights but I have found I like red dot sights for some things, like my Ruger PC Carbine. 

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Keltech makes one that folds but uses glock

magazines .  It’s a little cheaper.  

And the nice thing about Kel Tec is they disassemble themselves after 500 rounds for easy cleaning.

9 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

That's whey I now use Vortex Red Dots. They have exceptional battery life.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Think they are trying to unload them before the S&W hits the market?

Hmmm…good point. I don’t know, but that’s a good observation. 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Think they are trying to unload them before the S&W hits the market?

Anything is possible but no, I don’t think so.  Prices are still high while firearm demand has slowed down.   I think they’re trying to get prices back to an impulse purchase price range.  It used to be some Sub2k came with one magazine and other UPCs came with two.  The FPC comes with 3, 2 of those are the expensive $30 extended magazines plus a $50 case so you could argue the FPC comes with it’s own $100 promotion.

Back to the FPC:  the videos show the cheek weld is centered on the edge of the magazine loader, that has to become uncomfortable with recoil.  Maybe an add on rubber recoil pad will put the cheek weld in a better spot.  This could be a problem with the Sub2k because the front sight needed to fit behind the buttstock when folded.  Has anyone found a review comparing the bolt feel through the cheek weld?  That is more of a nuisance with the Sub2k than the recoil at the shoulder. 

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

2 months later and they've lowered the price to $579 shipped.  

https://www.gunbuyer.com/s-w-m-p-fpc-carbine-9mm-16-25-barrel-17-1-23-1-12575.html

Is it a lack of marketing or a lack of market interest?

Really? Lack of interest? Ahhh, NO. Try finding one outside an auction site. As an FFL I've had 8 on backorder with one distributor since they were released... can't get one. Another distributor, who does a wait list, texted yesterday, for the first time since their release, that they had just gotten 15 in stock. I immediately called and got straight through and they were already sold out.... it only took seconds after the notification. On gunbroker the starting bids are $579+ with BiN at $629-$749 depending on fees and S&H.

As for recoil? It's a 9mm carbine,  what recoil? I shot one of these and they are very nice and a lot of fun. I will eventually own one.  As for accuracy? Both this and the Keltec are very accurate at 100yds. How far do some plan on taking the 9mm?

JEL

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Finding retail inventory is easy.  Maybe demand is regional. 

@John E. Law could you feel the bolt through your cheekweld with the FPC like the Sub2k?

Nothing that I noticed on the cheek weld, but I only got to shoot it 30 rounds or so.

What's funny is right after I sent my above post I got a notification from a third distributor that these came back in stock. I was able to get two of them, they were the last 2 of 15 they received. It looks like S&W shipped out lots of 15 to various distributors in the past week, but they are all already gone. I think I am going to keep one for meself. What chaps my behind is the auction site dealers have lots of 5, 7, sometimes 10 in stock and are scalping the buyers when small dealers can't get their hands on one. I've been on a waitlist for the Springfield SA35 and the Ruger Precision 22LR since they were released, and they're still allocated to tier one dealers, but you can find them on GunBroker for $100 over msrp. Oh well. I only do my FFL for a fun side gig. 

JEL

On 2/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Trigger Mike said:

Buy an optic with built in solar charging.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Picked one up today. Need to clean/oil and try it out!:D

Congratulations! :D

Let us know what you think. 

I’m interested in hearing about the felt recoil.

When I bought my Ruger PC Carbine I was really surprised by the recoil. I truly didn’t think the 9mm cartridge had that much kick. 
The PC Carbine has a big tungsten block in the receiver that I suspect is contributes to the felt recoil. It’s part of the blow-back recoil system. 

Took it out today to sight in the red dot. It does have some recoil but it is not too bad. I might rate it at similar to my 5.56 AR and slightly less than my M1 carbine.

I hope to get out again soon to do more target shooting with it as I was unable to do any today as I had a few firearms that needed some work and assessment.

BTW - There are a lot of Youtube videos on the FPC. These go from "The best PCC" to "Needs a lot of improvement". I agree with some of the "Needs" but I am very pleased. I have not handled any other PCC so I cannot compare it to a similar rifle but I do have an 5.56 AR, a 22 cal AR and the M1 carbine for some reference.

1 minute ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Took it out today to sight in the red dot. It does have some recoil but it is not too bad. I might rate it at similar to my 5.56 AR and slightly less than my M1 carbine.

I hope to get out again soon to do more target shooting with it as I was unable to do any today as I had a few firearms that needed some work and assessment.

BTW - There are a lot of Youtube videos on the FPC. These go from "The best PCC" to "Needs a lot of improvement". I agree with some of the "Needs" but I am very pleased. I have not handled any other PCC so I cannot compare it to a similar rifle but I do have an 5.56 AR, a 22 cal AR and the M1 carbine for some reference.

Thank you. I am sure it’s a fun gun. I was just curious about the recoil. If I didn’t have my Ruger I would definitely be interested in an FPC. I

Archived