SASS Wire Forum

Mother of PearGrips

J.C. Bell, SASS #15217

I have a S&W Model 27 .357 with real MOP grip plates. Im afraid to shoot it with full power .357 loads, concerned that the grips will crack or perhaps shatter at the frame pin and screw. I have seen several old .45 and .44 special pistols that have mother of pearl grips that are in good shape. Has anyone any experience in shooting full power .357 loads with pearl grips? if so please share. 

Cordially,

J.C. Bell. SASS No. 15217 

I don’t have exactly the same experience with MOP grips but I have a pair of Ruger “White Bird” Vaqueros that are factory birdsheads with white Lett grips. The white birdshead grips are a little more rare than the black ones. The Lett grips are brittle like glass and easy to chip. So I took them off for safekeeping and shoot with regular wood grips. So if you’re worried about breaking yours, you might get some “shooting” grips and save the MOP’s. 

Just the rarity alone would relegate MOP for display only and not subject them to substantial forces of recoil or the unintentional damage. 

25 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

if it is chromed , with MOP grips , it make it a prime revolver in the big easy 

or any brothel 

CB 

Nah, the OP’s gun is an N frame. I’ve always thought of a brothel gun as a small top break nickeled S&W or maybe a J-frame. A 1903 FN/Browning acp would do nicely too. ^_^

24 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Nah, the OP’s gun is an N frame. I’ve always thought of a brothel gun as a small top break nickeled S&W or maybe a J-frame. A 1903 FN/Browning acp would do nicely too. ^_^

Agreed! The OP’s gun would make a nice BBQ gun. 

some would say pimp gun… 

10 hours ago, Kid Sopris, SASS Regulator said:

Just the rarity alone would relegate MOP for display only and not subject them to substantial forces of recoil or the unintentional damage. 

I agree with this. I have seen too many MOP grips cracked or chipped to want to risk something happening. At the cost of real MOP these days it could make a grown man cry.

Please replace the grips for shooting. Several years ago I picked up a nice Colt 1903 from 1916. Still had it's original Gutta Percha grips with NO chips. Took it to the range and the first round the grip cracked. Lost about $150 with one shot.

Archived