SASS Wire Forum

28 Years

Subdeacon Joe

"There’s only 28 years separating the final combat use of the .69-caliber smoothbore black powder cartridge in 1865, and the first combat use of the 7mm Mauser smokeless small bore rimless metallic centerfire case cartridge in 1893.

Just 28 years. Think about that."

FB_IMG_1677547677289.thumb.jpg.5104a758ab0b1b2ece4133b3633f6fbe.jpg

9 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why the 7mm Mauser?  The 8mm Lebel cartridge and rifle are at least six years older.

A. Because the 7mm Mauser was more popular, thus more widely known
B. Because the 8mm Lebel was French, it was never technically "used in combat."

C. If the author had said "... the use of the 8mm Lebel..." your average person would have said "What's a Lebel?" and your average, down in the weeds historical firearms buff wouldn't be able to show off their knowledge for friends, family and the internet. :P

1 hour ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

A lot of dead Germans might disagree with that.

joke
/jōk/
noun
noun: joke; plural noun: jokes
  1. a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter

I’m totally lost…..What exactly are we thinking about again?

The 28 years themselves?

The rapid advancement in barrel and arms manufacturing?

The rapid advancement in propellants?

That the French are once again disregarded and completely ignored for their contributions to arms and munitions? Heck, tiny Belgium gets more respect than they do.

Had Diane Feinstein been in congress during that time , she could have actively fought against both black powder and smokeless weapons?

:P

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have no idea why the person I stole this from didn't mention Lebel.

If they mentioned Lebel, this may have come to some’s   minds:

image.thumb.jpeg.ac691e10767ecf136c16156b28a85ab4.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I’m totally lost…..What exactly are we thinking about again?

The 28 years themselves?

The rapid advancement in barrel and arms manufacturing?

The rapid advancement in propellants?

That the French are once again disregarded and completely ignored for their contributions to arms and munitions? Heck, tiny Belgium gets more respect than they do.

Had Diane Feinstein been in congress during that time , she could have actively fought against both black powder and smokeless weapons?

:P

Yes!

The Saying is that if you wish to buy unfired Military Arms , "buy French' just watch out for the scratches and dings from their surrender ...

Jabez Cowboy

19 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

If they mentioned Lebel, this may have come to some’s   minds:

image.thumb.jpeg.ac691e10767ecf136c16156b28a85ab4.jpeg

yup , thats what i wulda thought , even tho i knew of the french rifles i would have thought black powder cartridges as with our krags 

Dec 1903: Orville Wright makes the first flight of around 120 feet in a powered airplane

1915: Biplanes fly at 100+mph, at 10,000 feet, shooting at other biplanes, using propeller interrupters.

Less than 12 years!!

51 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Dec 1903: Orville Wright makes the first flight of around 120 feet in a powered airplane

1915: Biplanes fly at 100+mph, at 10,000 feet, shooting at other biplanes, using propeller interrupters.

Less than 12 years!!

First turbojet, He-178, flew in 1939.  Thirty years after that a human walked on the Moon.

Amazing.

yall point out something i had not thought of when first i visited this thread , PROGRESS , its what the 20th century was about and the 19th as well , what do we have to show for this one a fifth of the way in ? i doubt ill see another decade or a century of life - i know some who have now ] id like to think it wasnt just government regulation that we had to show for this new millennium , we accomplished so much in the last century , 

progressives are stifling progress , the market would drive it if the current government was not in the way , it would be cheaper and more accessible for everyone , 

Archived