SASS Wire Forum

The Fastest Production Car In The World Is...An Electric Car!

Cypress Sun

A new all electric car has taken the top spot as the fastest production car in the world. The Pininfarina Battista.

Some of the features...

0 - 60 in 1.79 seconds

1/4 mile in 8.55 seconds

1/2 mile in 13.38 seconds @ 222.50 mph

1,877 HP (4 electric motors)

225.50 top speed

300 miles per charge

$2,200,000 price tag (plus tag and title)

Only 150 will be built. Be the first one on your block to own one!!!!

Story below

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/pininfarina-battista-worlds-quickest-car

1 minute ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

And then it has to recharge for an hour to get back to the other end of the track. :DIF the charging station is working.:blink:

And the range won't be 300 miles if you accelerating hard enough to run 8's.

35 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Sorry....I wouldn't consider 150 cars as production, they are basically hand built, one at a time.

Maybe I should have posted it as a "Street Legal" car. Of course, I don't know what the qualifiers are for the term "Production car".

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

If it hits a pedestrian is it assault and battery?  My old Dodge Hemi will top out just under 150 and that is more than fast enough for me.

I wonder if CA would want you to register them as “assault cars”? :lol:

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Sorry....I wouldn't consider 150 cars as production, they are basically hand built, one at a time.

FIA production class is 25 cars per year.  Most supercars and hypercars base their definition on that.  NASCAR used to require 500 cars per year for stock car racing. 

Correction, they are claiming to be the quickest (acceleration time) production car not the fastest (top speed) production car in the world.   It is not even the fastest current production car in the world.  At least one production car has broke 300 if you disable the electronic limiters, fuel is measured in gallons per mile at that point.  Did you ever expect to see Dodge dealers sell a Charger that tops 200?

For the price they’re asking, you could buy a Top Fuel dragster AND a rig to haul it around!

You would then have unlimited range and the ability to go 0-300+mph in under four seconds!  All done legally!!!  :rolleyes: :lol:

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Never have a fuel it?   Amazing!

Didn’t say that.  But you wouldn’t spend big chunks of time plugged into the overtaxed electrical grid!

6 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Didn’t say that.  But you wouldn’t spend big chunks of time plugged into the overtaxed electrical grid!

"Unlimited range"

Seems to me that means never having to refuel.  

I still don't understand the panic at having to spend more than 30 seconds refueling/recharging.   

16 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I still don't understand the panic at having to spend more than 30 seconds refueling/recharging.   

Maybe some people have better things to do that spend time trying to find a charging station that not only works, but is unoccupied, and then wait 45 minutes to charge the car. The alternative is a gas station on every third corner of even Small Town USA. 

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

"Unlimited range"

Seems to me that means never having to refuel.  

No panic! Just don’t see the need to bottle@$$ around for the better part of an hour in the middle of a half day journey, sitting and waiting for the batteries to charge, when I can be that much closer to my destination.

I’d rather get to where I’m going and spend the extra time doing what I went there to do!  If it’s an even longer trip, I CERTAINLY don’t want to stop three or four times for that long of a period!! 

I’m accustomed to traveling a thousand miles at one stretch if I have that far or further to go.  If I’m sightseeing, I might be willing to take some longer pause, but then there would have to be immediate and convenient access to a charging facility and I have serious doubts as to those circumstances existing.

Having seen the demonstrations of EV trucks and the VERY LIMITED ranges they provide, it would likely take twenty stops for me to get from my house to the west coast or to New England, given the terrain and the probable load I’m likely to carry.

Let’s, for the sake of debate, say that it only required ten stops to recharge along the way. If you don’t completely recharge, your travel distance is greatly reduced. To fully charge, you’ll have to stop for at least an hour. That’s taking into account that you have almost COMPLETELY run down your batteries.  That’s TEN HOURS that you are on the side of the road and it’s also TEN SEPARATE STOPS!

If I stop to refill my tank, it generally takes me about five minutes.  That’s filling the tank, cleaning the windshield, doing a visual inspection of my vehicle and the trailer I’m probably towing, and obtaining some kind of snack or refreshments.  I won’t likely stop ten times, even if I am driving to the west coast, but we’ll give you those ten stops anyway.

On more occasions than I care to count, I have driven from Los Angeles to Nashville in under TWENTY-FOUR HOURS.  This is myself and another driver, or multiple drivers, changing places at reasonable intervals, (usually the time it takes to burn a tank of fuel) and stopping at least once for a “sit down” meal.  My record is twenty-one hours seventeen minutes.  Even making each fuel stop a fifteen minute stop, I am SEVEN AND A HALF HOURS ahead of my time in an EV truck!  Enough time to get a room, take a nap, shower and change clothes, and still be there before the EV arrives! I might even have another meal!!

I have had Ol’ Green, my ‘97 Chevy dually, for going on twenty years. It has made similar trips many MANY times. I can’t say how it was treated before I bought it, but it has been thoroughly used, (it does receive top quality maintenance) since I have owned it.  It hasn’t cost me nearly the price of a comparable, (there really ISN’T a comparable) EV vehicle and that includes all that I’ve spent maintaining it.

I STILL don’t have any real dislike for EVs!  I just don’t think that they are the answer to our needs/problems, especially as they are currently built and sold.  They CERTAINLY DON’T meet my needs or requirements today.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I STILL don’t have any real dislike for EVs!

Something not evident from how you post about them.

I just don’t think that they are the answer to our needs/problems, especially as they are currently built and sold.  

Nor do I, which I have said many times.  But they are able to fill a significant niche in our transportation needs.  So why continually bash them every time the subject is brought up?  

They CERTAINLY DON’T meet my needs or requirements today.

Which is fine FOR YOU.  That doesn't mean that they don't or can't meet the needs for a large portion of the US population.  

Would I try to take one on I-80 from CA to the Eastern Seaboard?  No. But then, I have a low end Leaf with about 170 mile range.   I would take a more southern route on I-70.  Longest stretch without a fast charger is about 120 miles. Planning and working within limitations.  Including the physical limitations of my wife.  Two hours of driving is about her limit, before she needs to get out, stretch out, walk around a bit, maybe lay down on a bench or picnic table.   Oh, she could drug herself into oblivion with pain killers and muscle relaxants ,  but why?   

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Which is fine FOR YOU.  That doesn't mean that they don't or can't meet the needs for a large portion of the US population.  

Would I try to take one on I-80 from CA to the Eastern Seaboard?  No. But then, I have a low end Leaf with about 170 mile range.   I would take a more southern route on I-70.  Longest stretch without a fast charger is about 120 miles. Planning and working within limitations.  Including the physical limitations of my wife.  Two hours of driving is about her limit, before she needs to get out, stretch out, walk around a bit, maybe lay down on a bench or picnic table.   Oh, she could drug herself into oblivion with pain killers and muscle relaxants ,  but why?   

Once again, if it works for YOU, good for you. But you seem to act like the rest of us have the same needs you do. We don't. 

The rest of us are not interested in "Planning and working within limitations." With our GAS powered vehicles we don't HAVE to. Again, if it works for you, that's fine. 

Until my friend died last year, I used to make a trip to Ohio from Arizona every year. My truck is not economical by any means, getting 17MPG highway. It's about 1800 miles from here to there, and I could do it in 2 1/2 days, stopping every night. As Blackwater pointed out, I could NEVER have done it in an EV. 

EVs are basically Not Ready for Prime Time. 

You say "That doesn't mean that they don't or can't meet the needs for a large portion of the US population." Obviously they don't, or more people would own them.   

Archived