SASS Wire Forum

Split a third of my cases at match

R. R. Ranger

All bottleneck brass is annealed at the factory to enable the last sizing step to neck down the cases.    Commercial standards are to final polish after that step.   Mil standards don't require the final polish.  So that annealing discoloration remains on most mil brass.   But, since .45 auto/acp and 9mm has no bottleneck, you don't see annealing color on mil pistol brass.

good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

All bottleneck brass is annealed at the factory to enable the last sizing step to neck down the cases.    Commercial standards are to final polish after that step.   Mil standards don't require the final polish.  So that annealing discoloration remains on most mil brass.   But, since .45 auto/acp and 9mm has no bottleneck, you don't see annealing color on mil pistol brass.

good luck, GJ

I learn something new every day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of good ideas here for consideration.  I'm thinking the polishing of the chambers may have removed too much material, and combined with "over-sizing" resulting from too tight carbide dies is overworking the brass.  Almost everyone these days is using carbide sizing dies, and I know for a fact that they oversize .45 Colt brass, and most of the ones I've looked at (Lee, Hornady, Lyman, RCBS) will what I call oversize .38 Special/ .357 Mag cases. That combination will cause the longitudinal split along the body of the case in my experience.  I gave up using carbide dies for .45 Colt and .38 Special, but then I have enough time on my hands to be able to do that.  Anyway, that's my 2 Cents worth.

Archived