SASS Wire Forum

FOUND ONE - Dillon 550B/C or even a 750 press

Wallaby Damned

Have decided to get a progressive reloader as running 9mm/5.56 on my Rockchucker is just more work than I care to sign up for. Before I go buy new down at our local Scheels, figured I check here if anyone had one and was getting out of the reloading game. If it had the conversion kits for the aforementioned calibers, even better. Anyone?

found a new 550C today. Appreciate the input all!

Couple friends have 550s. They both remark how quick my Lee presses are and how inexpensively they feed bullets and cases. One of them has started using the new Lee Six Pack Press and is a convert. That looks like a lot of capability for the money. 

4 hours ago, meesterpaul said:

Couple friends have 550s. They both remark how quick my Lee presses are and how inexpensively they feed bullets and cases. One of them has started using the new Lee Six Pack Press and is a convert. That looks like a lot of capability for the money. 

Same here I have a 550 and and a rock chucker, picked one up when Midsouth had a sale for $306 for the kit. It looks like allot of press for the money. Still waiting on inline fabrication to make a stand for it and the lee bullet feeder to become available. The reports I’m seeing online seem to be pretty favorable. Time will tell, allot of people are happy with the older Lee progressives and this looks like an improvement upon those designs. It’s something new to fiddle with, only time will tell. 

I'm using the heck out of a Lee Load Master (10s of 1000s). I have used their bullet feeder on a Pro 1000 for the 45 Colt and 41 mag. I may use it again but now that I cast and coat I just plunk the bullets on by hand it doesn't really take much time and I get a sense of how good the bullet fit is in to the case. The case feeder and collator are quick, consistent and easy as well as being a great value. The $34 auto drum powder measure is another stunner.. using a ThinkScale that goes down to 0.02 grain confirms that. Pretty handy on sub 3.0grain loads. I guess I'm just too cheap to blindly embrace a higher-priced option. Before I got the LoadMaster I looked for reviews where somebody had used multiple brands. I do recall someone buying a Dillon, a Hornady and a Loadmaster. They used all three for a while and came up with pros and cons for each of them. He ended up selling the Dillon and the Hornady because he was able to recoup the most money and continued to use the Lee. Since that was the number of years ago it would be interesting to revisit that person now. 

Folks, I appreciate the information on the Lee presses but I’m after a Dillon. Have been reloading on my single stage Rockchucker for over 30 years now and no intention of giving that up when it comes to precision loads (anything BPCR related; 6CM, 8.6cm, 375R etc). I just want to go with a progressive for bulk 9mm/5.56 ammunition.

From taking a look at Lee’s mechanics and build and then having done some online research, I think the Dillon is the setup for me. The RCBS 5 was an option but even they seem to have some QC issues compared to the Dillon. Have had one pard reach out about a new 750 he’s got available and may go that route but I’m not really needing the extras that come with it over the 550 and the price difference is definitely an Issue for me. 

I’ve been loading for the wife and I on a Dillon 650 for over 20 years. I’ve accumulated plenty of toolheads during that time. The best thing I like about it is after the initial investment it hasn’t cost me a dime. When I wear something out, I just call Dillon and the part is at my door in a few days. 

• Wallaby Damned changed the title to FOUND ONE - Dillon 550B/C or even a 750 press

Archived