SASS Wire Forum

Powder scale recommendation?

Charlie Harley, #14153

Well, it looks like my 60+ year old Lyman D5 has lost my trust.  Long story, but when an instrument is no longer reliable, it’s time or retirement. 

What are folks using to measure powder these days?  I used a cheap electronic scale many years ago with dismal results, but am open to a quality battery scale that won’t break the bank.

I appreciate any insight y’all can provide.

I love this one. Accurate to plus or minus .05 grains. The typical "powder" scale is only accurate to plus or minus .1 grain and costs 4 times as much. The only thing you have to be sure of is that it is level. I use an small inexpensive bullseye level for this,

Smart Weigh 50g x 0.001 Grams, Premium High Precision Digital Milligram Scale, Includes Tweezers, Calibration Weights ,Three Weighing Pans and Case

The late John Boy turned me onto these inexpensive digital scales. 

Electronic is definitely faster, and as long as it comes with weights to calibrate it that should increase the trust but verify aspect of a scale. 
I use the one on my rcbs charge master if you’re looking for an excuse to also get an electronic powder measure. Also have an old Dillon balance beam just in case of the zombie apocalypse. 

@Charlie Harley, #14153  the one thing regarding the scale @Sedalia Davelisted is the pans that come with it are plastic and susceptible to static electricity. I have that scale and like it very much, except for the pans that come with it. I use my RCBS beam scale pan for it, though I did order some pans from Amazon. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Charlie Harley, #14153  the one thing regarding the scale @Sedalia Davelisted is the pans that come with it are plastic and susceptible to static electricity. I have that scale and like it very much, except for the pans that come with it. I use my RCBS beam scale pan for it, though I did order some pans from Amazon. 

I should have mentioned that. I usually use a cartridge case for whatever caliber I am setting up for when weighing individual charges and the pan from a balance beam scale when weighing 10 charges to check consistency.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I should have mentioned that. I usually use a cartridge case for whatever caliber I am setting up for when weighing individual charges and the pan from a balance beam scale when weighing 10 charges to check consistency.

You know, I have been reloading for quite a while and I never even considered that. :lol:Thanks. That’s a good idea providing you use the same case for testing throws. I have found weight disparities between cases of the same maker  :)

I feel like if you get a nice electric one you might as well by the auto dispenser kit like the Hornady charge master pro etc.  I used to load a lot of rifle around 44 grains and that auto dispenser and scale combo was greatly appreciated and it was how I started, only way I knew.  If doing just handgun I wouldn’t think it would be worth it.

56 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

I feel like if you get a nice electric one you might as well by the auto dispenser kit like the Hornady charge master pro etc.  I used to load a lot of rifle around 44 grains and that auto dispenser and scale combo was greatly appreciated and it was how I started, only way I knew.  If doing just handgun I wouldn’t think it would be worth it.

That was the excuse I gave myself to get a charge master :) 

I have both the one suggested by Sedalia Dave and the one suggested by Fence Cutter (RCBS Rangemaster 2000). The one suggested by SD is a backup to the RCBS one.

I've never had a problem with the RCBS and it is accurate to within .10, which is accurate enough for my needs.

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I was always wary of using an electronic scale, finally bought a Hornady G3 (the latest version) and now wished I'd had one years ago -

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023115832?pid=645087

Same here. Quite happy with it.

Archived